• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey, Clifford Thornton...

Yeah, SKIZOKE iz a muther!!!

DIG.

HB

There's something about Butch Morris--Butch the arranger/conductor, of course, but also Butch the cornetist--that brought out something really special in Frank Lowe. I think it's on their recordings together that I really, truly grapsed what a phenomenal melodist Lowe was.

Will be spinning Blue Notes for Mongezi in the near future...

Question--and someone here should know (clifford?). What do y'all think about the post-Feza Brotherhood of Breath albums (have only heard a few). I'm really interested in Procession for the presence of Dyani, although Yes Please (high up on the list)--with John Tchicai in a post-Blue Notes BoB configuration--has me interested. I've also heard that Brotherhood will be getting a (CD) reissue on Feb. 26th, for those interested.

I've not spent as much time with post-Feza BOB recordings to give you a definitive answer. My proclivities lie with the earlier, more ragtag stuff as you know... I do think Brotherhood is an excellent album. I have it on vinyl and it has been a fairly regular spin - talk about a varied snapshot of the group's capabilities, not to mention McGregor's pianism.

Lowe & Morris were a fantastic team, and your analysis of Lowe having something "brought out" by arrangers is pretty right-on. Don Cherry also brought it out in him vis-a-vis the JCOA date and his small-group sessions from the '70s. What I like about Skizoke - even though it seems to be marginalized by a number of folks - is that it's a more straight-ahead date, and very together at that. I wish the vibes and guitar were better recorded, but what can you do?

Some LPs by guitarists who sang in quite different styles

d01170b3e93.jpg

Actually – that’s a CD. The LP has the same sleeve but it’s just called “Bee Houston”. Arhoolie original.

076731126029.jpg

Chuck Berry – Berry is on top – Chess Green Line reissue

palm_wine_guitar_music.jpg

S E Rogie – Palm wine guitar music (the ‘60s sound) – Cooking Vinyl compilation of 78s originally issued in Sierra Leone on Rogiephone.

MG

Hey Clifford Thornton....

Word up on CRIME, by far the best S.F. Punk band (better than the Avengers) Or, were L,.A.?

I am a friend/assosciate of Michael Lucas, who was an original roadie for CRIME, back inna day.

I still keep up with Johnny Strike, he has put out a few fiction novels, and started up a new(ish) band

called TVT. Also, CRIME are recording new tracks for a new LP.

Frankly, I was not so impressed w/ the TVT album, have you heard it?

Currently spinning: BRASILIA NUEVA "How Insensitive" With Zoot Sims. A really great LP.

Arranged by Bill Potts. On Decca, Stereo. Groovy, Daddy!

\

---HB

Bud Freeman and his SummaCumLaude Orchestra 'Live from the Panther Room' (Blue Rhythm)

1940 broadcasts with Max Kaminski, PeeWee Russell and the gang!

Wish I still had a copy of this. Bud was pissed about the issue (since he received no money) and suggested I issue it to kill the Blue Rhythm record. He didn't want money from me, just wanted to punish the other guy.

Tonight I am watching the hockey game between the Flames and the Sabres, with the sound off. I am listening to Jimmy Smith's Keep On Comin'" preceded by "bashin' The Unpredictable Jimmy Smith" with arrangements by Oliver Nelson that has my favourite Jimmy, Walk On The Wild Side on it, and before that, "The Further Adventures of Jimmy and Wes and "Jimmy Smith.

BTW, at this point, my Flames are ahead one goal.:)