• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night, it was Chicago

Clarence Wheeler & the Enforcers - Doin' what we wanna - Atlantic orig

Clarence Wheeler - The new Chicago blues - Atlantic orig

Clarence Wheeler & the Enforcers - Burn for Bern - Straight Ahead

Chuck, what do you know about the Straight Ahead label? This was a Clarence Wheeler production in 1980, and looks like a DIY job, but with a number like 41197, that isn't quite convincing. Full of Chicago good guys like John Wright, Kenny Prince, Bob Shy, and George Freeman.

MG

Cal Tjader - Vibist

Savoy 45 rpm EP XP-8117

with Richard Wyands, Al McKibbon, and Roy Haynes

The cover is mint, the record is not, but when played wet most surface noise disappears.

This EP sounds a lot more dynamic than the later Savoy LP reissues from the 1980's ...

post-12-1187777438.jpeg

Command_Bongos.jpg

Looks interesting. What is it?

Best described as a rather easy listening latin album with bongos featured - Willie Rodriguez and Don Lamond handle them nicely. It's not too much a showoff, nice variations, sound is excellent, nice guitar from Tony Mottola, flutes and reeds from Stan Webb.

It is intended as a stereo test record - extreme sounds left and right, if your tone arm doesn't track correctly, you will hear all kinds of unpleasant things. Mine stood the test, but I noticed the channels of my turntable connection were reversed .....

Found it in a local second hand shop last week, paid € 22 for it. The sound is worth it, the rareness too, the music is worth only € 10 .....

Edited by mikeweil

Cal Tjader - Vibist

Savoy 45 rpm EP XP-8117

The cover is mint, the record is not, but when played wet most surface noise disappears.

This EP sounds a lot more dynamic than the later Savoy LP reissues from the 1980's ...

"When played wet"? How can you play a wet record?

MG

Cal Tjader - Vibist

Savoy 45 rpm EP XP-8117

MG

Some people swear by it. Use a brush to cover both sides with non-ionized water and play it through. Supposedly it eliminates a lot of noise and decontaminates the surface as well.

Never was a deep groove.

This 'deep groove' shit is stupid. How many people understand what it means, what makes "deep grooves' and how this relates to "originals"?

I plead ignorance. I never knew what a "deep groove" pressing was, and was afraid to ask. What's the deal?

It's a circular groove within the area of the label on some records. It is an impression made upon stamping the LP, but I'm not sure what its particular use was - perhaps to ensure the disc would be easily removed from the stamper?

Anyway, I've seen re-presses of records that include the DG, whereas originals did not, so it's a toss-up w/r/t "originality." Blue Note reused west 63rd stampers well after they were bought by Liberty, so it's pretty hard to date some BNs.

Edited by clifford_thornton

Cal Tjader - Vibist

Savoy 45 rpm EP XP-8117

MG

Some people swear by it. Use a brush to cover both sides with non-ionized water and play it through. Supposedly it eliminates a lot of noise and decontaminates the surface as well.

YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS!!!!

MG

Cal Tjader - Vibist

Savoy 45 rpm EP XP-8117

MG

MG

I am serious. Thank goodness you didn't call me Shirley.

Cal Tjader - Vibist

Savoy 45 rpm EP XP-8117

MG

MG

I am serious. Thank goodness you didn't call me Shirley.

OK, you're serious. This sounds insane to me. So you put non-ionised water (whatever that is - tap water?) on both sides of an LP, plonk it down on the felt mat on your turntable and play it. Just like that? And the water doesn't run off into the mat and then soak through into the player mechanism? Nor does it slop over onto the label?

And then you have to dry it off after you've played it before you can put it away - yes? You must have to use a special towel for that. I hope you know where your towel is :)

Oh yes, it's not you, it's someone else.

MG

Joe Harriott - Swings High - (Cadillac reissue)

w/ Pat Smythe, Coleridge Goode, Phil Seamen and the trumpeter Stu Hamer.

This is an amazing record which has tremendous 'atmosphere' and is full of character thanks to the el-cheapo cheapo East London recording arranged by Doug Dobell which makes it sound like a mid-40s Savoy bop session. Very metallic, with loads of roll-off at the extremes.

Joe Harriott - Swings High - (Cadillac reissue)

w/ Pat Smythe, Coleridge Goode, Phil Seamen and the trumpeter Stu Hamer.

This is an amazing record which has tremendous 'atmosphere' and is full of character thanks to the el-cheapo cheapo East London recording arranged by Doug Dobell which makes it sound like a mid-40s Savoy bop session. Very metallic, with loads of roll-off at the extremes.

Indeed - the 1967 recording date gave me a double-take!