What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

330385564419.jpg

A Christmas Gift For You - Philles original found sealed in a dusty old mom-and-pop a looooong time ago. The cover has since gotten water damage, and the pressing was just a tad crackly even new, but dammit, this is how this album should sound. I've also got the Apple mono & that Pavillion/CBS stereo bastard-child (and no digital versions, are you kidding?!?!?!), but, no, this is the real deal right here. Play it loud. Play it VERY loud.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

330385564419.jpg

A Christmas Gift For You - Philles original found sealed in a dusty old mom-and-pop a looooong time ago. The cover has since gotten water damage, and the pressing was just a tad crackly even new, but dammit, this is how this album should sound. I've also got the Apple mono & that Pavillion/CBS stereo bastard-child (and no digital versions, are you kidding?!?!?!), but, no, this is the real deal right here. Play it loud. Play it VERY loud.

I find it impossible to listen to any of Spector's stuff since he ended up in prison. I knew he was what he was even before he went to prison, but that kind of sealed the deal for me.

lacy_steve~_completej_101b.jpg

Steve Lacy - The Complete Jaguar Sessions (Fresco Jazz)

Of course, this album really represents the complete recorded output of "progressive dixieland" trumpeter Dick Sutton and his six-piece (no piano or guitar) band. Sutton was kind of ahead of his time; he reminds me a little of Randy Sandke these days - you can hear both Bix and Miles in his playing. Anyway, it's fascinating music. Sutton and Lacy are the best musicians here, and I'm struck by how much Lacy improved between the August and November (1954) sessions. And his clarinet playing, recorded nowhere else, makes me smile.

paul_jeffrey_electrifying_sounds_of_paul_jeffrey_quintet-mg-12192-1252882119.jpeg

Electrifying Sounds of the Paul Jeffrey Quintet (Savoy mono). Another one which the old Grado cartridge had major problems with.

Still keeping my eyes peeled for an original of that one. Glad to at least have the music, but of course it'd be great to have it in 12" format! That cover is a classic...