• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome Cactus Bob! (I'm Lonson on that other forum).

Keep playing this one because it just sounds so damned good. My new phono preamp is really surprising me.

rwbm.jpg

Yeah, if there was a reason for the sound quality of CTI, this is it.

Played my newie this morning

tommy_dean-deanie_boy_plays_hot_rhythm_and_blues.jpg

Tommy Dean - Deanie Boy plays hot Rhythm and Blues - Official

Great material from Miracle, States and Vee-Jay.

MG

Jam_Session_featuring_Maynard_Ferguson.jpg

Jam Session Featuring Maynard Ferguson (Emarcy mono).

I really like this session. Mine's a Pye Nixa edition. It's a cut l above a usual jam session.

I agree - and you've given me the courage to ask a question I was too embarrassed to ask with my original post - does baritone saxophonist Bob Gordon really play on this session? He's listed on the back cover, but I didn't hear any bari on the record. My embarrassment comes from the possibility that maybe I zoned out for part of the record and missed it.

Jam_Session_featuring_Maynard_Ferguson.jpg

Jam Session Featuring Maynard Ferguson (Emarcy mono).

I really like this session. Mine's a Pye Nixa edition. It's a cut l above a usual jam session.

I agree - and you've given me the courage to ask a question I was too embarrassed to ask with my original post - does baritone saxophonist Bob Gordon really play on this session? He's listed on the back cover, but I didn't hear any bari on the record. My embarrassment comes from the possibility that maybe I zoned out for part of the record and missed it.

I'll need to find and play, risk of zoning out high as I'm rather belatedly writing my Christmas cards!!

Back_to_the_Roots_%28Ramsey_Lewis_album%29.jpg

Ramsey Lewis - Back To The Roots

This version of the trios - with Cleveland Eaton & Morris Jennings - is one I find more to my immediate liking than the celebrated Young-Holt edition. Ultimately, it's still Ramsey Lewis doing what Ramsey Lewis do, but I just like the texture and density of this trio more.

Bobby Timmons - Holiday Soul

Jack warned me that he's looked and there aren't any clean pressings of this and I have to agree with him that this is pretty noisy. The last two tracks of Side 2 sound awful - Rice crispies galore and what sounds like an out of tune piano. Great music though.

Holiday_Soul.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

61045.jpg!Bv4jSpgCGk~$%28KGrHqUOKi8EwIs%28%28t5vBMG,ZcQr0w~~_3.JPG

Dexter Gordon/Wardell Gray - The Chase and The Steeplechase (MCA). Although not credited on the front, some nice sides by Paul Quinichette fill out side two.

Murray Lehrer featuring Dave Tarras - Freilach in Hi-Fi Volume 2 (Period). I've long had Volumes 1 & 3 of this great late-50s klezmer series, but I recently managed to snag a copy of Volume 2 in stone mint condition. If Naftule Brandwein was klezmer's Johnny Dodds, then Dave Tarras was its Jimmie Noone.

Living By Lanterns - New Myth/Old Science - a 2012 release on Cuneiform Records with Jason Adasiewicz on vibraphone, Greg Ward on alto, Taylor Ho Bynum on cornet, Ingrid Laubrock on tenor, Tomeka Reid on cello, Mary Halvorson on guitar, Joshua Abrams on bass, Tomas Fujiwara on drums, Mike Reed on drums and electronics and Nick Butcher on electronics - arrangements of found Sun Ra rehearsal tapes.