Elvin is dead

Guest ariceffron

I wonder how many people have just ordered the Jones Mosaic.  I have and I see that Tony (Dr. J) has.  I also believe Tony's words are right on the mark.

I wonder if it'll sell out now.

I hope not. I want it, but Elvin's passing doesn't affect my current cash-flow.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhere--either here or on Jazz Corner, I think--I remember somebody posting about asking Hamid Drake to sign a drum cymbal that Elvin had already signed. Hamid said, "Oh no, I can't sign next to THE MAN!" The poster encouraged him to anyway, and he eventually did... but I was touched by Hamid's obvious reverence and respect for Elvin. If anybody can ever hope to carry the whitehot torch borne by Elvin, it's Hamid.

I'll be on in about an hour and 10 minutes, with a three-hour show... will probably do a part two next Wednesday, as three hours hardly does justice to the man.

WFHB1

WFHB2

Up for broadcast now with "Blues to Elvin."

I'd check it out, but the Windows Media Player can't handle a pls file. :wacko:

7/4, you might try going to shoutcast.com and typing in "wfhb"... don't know if that will give you access or not.

Post requests and I'll play 'em if I've got 'em.

No, my windows media player thinks it can play a pls file when it can't. It's a Windows file type problem.

No, my windows media player thinks it can play a pls file when it can't. It's a Windows file type problem.

Winamp works for this stream. Listening to Elvin now along with Wilbur Ware and Sonny Rollins. He is unsurpassed. Truly the greatest.

Edited by porter_esq

It's hard to know what to add to what's already been said (here and elsewhere) re Elvin, but let me say this: One of the thing s I dig most about him is that yes, he was a powerful, complex force of nature, but he was also a sensitive guy who could soft, subtle and simple if that's what the musdic at hand called for--that's the mark of a true master, being able and willing to do whatever was necessary to further the music as a whole.

Elvin: I worshipped you and all of the recordings you are on.I'm thankful to own everything put out by you as a leader and had dreams of seeing you live. The drum gods like of Max Roach, Roy Haynes, Roy Brooks, Louis Hayes and Joe Chambers are still alive and will help keep your flame burning. This is a sad day for me since I just found out, but as a fellow drummer, your inspiration has taken my playing to where it is and I will continue to grow for having you leave your mark on me. Thank You for all you've accomplished... I Love You!!!!!

Dova

Geez, I received my Elvin Mosaic set ON Tuesday. I didn't know he died until late that night. Weird coincidence.

Totally deflated me...I think I'll always remember the day I got this set.

I've been listening the last couple days. This music is just so wonderful...

I'll always remember Elvin's infectious smile! :) B)

Was listening to Elvin's remarkable work on Andrew Hill's JUDGEMENT! and Hubbard's READY FOR FREDDIE last night.

On JUDGEMENT!, it's remarkable how he managed to maintain his almost unbelievable drive and intensity (somewhere in the middle section of "Siete Ocho" when he starts to "take it up to the mezzanine" to borrow a phrase from an earlier post here, it feels like your CD player is actually going to levitate), YET still temper it somehow to better match Hill's often dark, more quiet temperament (for example, check out the brushes on "Reconciliation," my favorite track on this particular album...you could still immediately identify the drummer as Elvin, as even with brushes he sounds powerful - and I'm not sure that as a non-drummer I could ever really pick out any other drummer based on their brush work alone).

On READY FOR FREDDIE, as I mentioned in another thread, the alternate take of "Arietis" is a virtual jazz drumming clinic. Sure this version is a bit less tight and classic Blue Note polished, but it's amazing nonetheless...everyone solos with more abandon, taking some pretty outrageous chances, and what Jones does behind them all is jaw-dropping and often commands your full attention (maybe one reason why it was relegated to the vaults for so long). Check it out.

Edited by DrJ

I'm not ready for a round of Elveen listening the way I see happening here on the board. I'm saddened by the loss of this giant, but. . . well. . . I've had Elvin as a regular part of my listening life for many years and I don't feel I need to break that habit. Or maybe it's because we're still in the twelve day funerary cycle one has for the great immortal heroes when they are taken away in battle. . . maybe I'll feel differently when that cycle is over and his spirit has moved on across the Styx. . . .

The wake for drummer Elvin Jones will be held:

Monday, May 24, 2004 from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. at Frank E. Campbell Funeral Home, 1076 Madison Avenue @ 81st Street, New York, NY 10028

(212) 288-3500

Funeral services will be private, but a memorial service will be announced at a later date.

I've been listening to pieces of some of the Elvin interviews on WKCR and am impressed by how warm and personable he seemed. (Heck, he said he enjoyed playing with Ginger Baker -- Elvin was expecting a showdown, but said that Baker provided a conversation.)