Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played the whole Tolliver yesterday - very good one! A bit on the short side, though... they could have easily looked for a fourth session to include (guess there wasn't any fitting with the concept of "Big Band" and the time frame of the 70s?)

Will there be a third Tolliver Select with "Compassion", "Live in Berlin at the Quasimodo" (and bonus material) and some? Would be cool!

Anyway, now playing disc 1 of:

mosaic_turrentine.jpg

The Blue Note Stanley Turrentine Quintet/Sextet Studio Sessions - disc one holds "Comin' Your Way", the only album I already have (in its vinyl configuration, thus missing "Just in Time" and an alternate take).

Played the whole Tolliver yesterday - very good one! A bit on the short side, though... they could have easily looked for a fourth session to include (guess there wasn't any fitting with the concept of "Big Band" and the time frame of the 70s?)

Will there be a third Tolliver Select with "Compassion", "Live in Berlin at the Quasimodo" (and bonus material) and some? Would be cool!

Anyway, now playing disc 1 of:

mosaic_turrentine.jpg

The Blue Note Stanley Turrentine Quintet/Sextet Studio Sessions - disc one holds "Comin' Your Way", the only album I already have (in its vinyl configuration, thus missing "Just in Time" and an alternate take).

The Turrentine is great!!! :tup I received the Tolliver when it came out, and haven't gotten to it yet. I've been on a big Basie kick recently, and am waiting for the right time to listen to the Tolliver big band stuff.

Just received the Freddie Green, Joe Newman, Al Cohn Select and the Woody Herman Select. I NEEDED a Mosaic fix, so I put in an order. Holy Crap! The Woody Herman select is SMOKIN'. I am serious. Swingin' band, great energy, and tunes. WOW.

I haven't even made it to the other Select, but I'm sure that will be wonderful as well.

I usually like the BIG Mosaic sets, but this is really knocking me out.

:tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

P.S. I can't wait for the Hawkins set and the Lucky Thompson Select to come out as well!!! Fred at Mosaic said they will be out before 2012. Hopefully before Christmas...

Don't miss the Herman Single from Mosaic! It's from just after the Philips material in the Select and nearly as smokin'!

Hey, that single was THE first Woody Herman recording I ever bought. It introduced me to a powerful, swingin' band, that was right up there with Basie. I immediately loved Sal Nistico's playing, such swing and technique. And now I have all of 'em that Mosaic has put out. The single and the select may be my favorite though :g:w:party:

The first song on the Select is "Mo-Lasses" and I think the Herman band plays this composition better than the Basie band, where it came from via Joe Newman. Bill Chase is certainly on fire there!

I am finally getting to the Freddie Green, Joe Newman and Al Cohn Select and is beautiful music, I think my blood pressure will be lowered from this easy swingin' music.

It's certainly been a Mosaic Records weekend! :tup :tup :tup

Edited by Jazz Nut

stitt_sonny_completer_102b.jpg

The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions - CD1

Went on with this one... into CD4 by now - great! :excited:

Blargh ... yet another set on my 'bypass' list that I now feel an insatiable urge to own.

Returning for a second round... won't finish it today, I think, but I'm about to finish disc 3 now - amazing stuff!

As Zan Stewart says in his notes, some other excellent, even outstanding stuff (the sessions w/Bud, the Cobblestones, some of the stuff w/Jug) notwithstanding, this group of records may be the very best chunk of Stitt's huge oeuvre! And that says me, who generally prefers Stitt on tenor...