Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

51HYYXBZP0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.uk now wants £105 for this! Safer than the euro!

Wait 'till it comes out as an 'mp3 only' like some of the others for £8 ! It'll be droppping faster than Berlusconi's libido :lol:

It's already there...£11.49

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Capitol-Vaults-Jazz-Series/dp/B003VGHFYE/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321099151&sr=301-1

Damn! There goes my investment! No chance of the whore's knickers syndrome kicking in, I suppose? ^_^

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My birthday present from my wife arrived today - the Jimmie Lunceford Decca box. Disc 1 is on right now. The band was still finding its way into its own style in 1934; good, but I'm looking forward to '35 and '36.

Disc 4 tonight. Some fabulous material on this disc, in spite of the Dan Grissom vocals.

I'll put this here as this is where the set has been most discussed. I've been spinning Jeffcrom's old Lunceford Decca/GRP discs and have found that while I love the band's sound-- the harmonic sophistication of Ellington plus the small-group drive of Basie, to make a rather obvious comparison-- I've found the vocals to be just awful. And it's not that I'm not acclimated to the singing of the day but I find that this is crooning at it's worst. And maybe it's just these discs, about 45 songs total vs 100+ on the Mosaic, but there are a LOT of them. Not sure if this is the case with the box set.

Thoughts?

I'll put this here as this is where the set has been most discussed. I've been spinning Jeffcrom's old Lunceford Decca/GRP discs and have found that while I love the band's sound-- the harmonic sophistication of Ellington plus the small-group drive of Basie, to make a rather obvious comparison-- I've found the vocals to be just awful. And it's not that I'm not acclimated to the singing of the day but I find that this is crooning at it's worst. And maybe it's just these discs, about 45 songs total vs 100+ on the Mosaic, but there are a LOT of them. Not sure if this is the case with the box set.

Thoughts?

I've got the Big Band set, and yes there are vocals (not sure on the exact number) but I think the music more than makes up for it. The set that annoys me is the Mosaic Lionel Hampton Box set, I cannot stand Lionel's voice.

:D I have been really digging the Anita O'Day set. Great music, fantastic bands, and really, Anita is in my top three jazz vocalists of all time (1. Billie Holiday 2. Ella 3. Anita). I was too young/poor to afford it back when it timed out, as I had to have "Mosaic priorities" and was really excited when I found a sealed copy on eBay recently. This will be a set that will NOT get old.