Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

Listening to the first four discs of the Modern Jazz Quartet box. Love discs one through three...such thoughtful, patient music, and the collaborations with Giuffre and Rollins are beautiful, arresting.

Disc four, on the other hand, presents the kind of music that made me skeptical about grabbing this set. I find that I can't stand Third Stream Music, maybe because I'm not that interested in the arrangements, and the whole thing feels encumbered by the added instrumentation. Not a fan.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just put in the Jimmie Lunceford disk 1. AMAZING sound and musicianship! I was wary because Andreas Meyer was the remastering guy (didn't care for the Armstrong or the Artie Shaw Mosaic sets sound...perhaps it was the best he could do). At any rate this should be a very fun next few weeks discovering this new music (to me)!!! :g:tup:party:

Charles Tolliver Big Band, Disc 1

MS037.jpg

Absolutely top notch writing, arranging, playing etc. Nice notes as well. Mainly consisting of an enlightening interview with CT.

That'll have to be be in on my next order then, together with the Sam Rivers.

Now spinning - Blue Mitchell, CD4.

Just put in the Jimmie Lunceford disk 1. AMAZING sound and musicianship! I was wary because Andreas Meyer was the remastering guy (didn't care for the Armstrong or the Artie Shaw Mosaic sets sound...perhaps it was the best he could do). At any rate this should be a very fun next few weeks discovering this new music (to me)!!! :g:tup:party:

Just started listening to it myself last night and yes, great sound and musicianship. All I've had of the Lunceford Deccas are the two 1990s GRP compilations, so hearing this set promises to be a real revelation for me. Nice article by Marc Myers in the Wall Street Journal today:

Swing's Forgotten King

Charles Tolliver Big Band, Disc 1

MS037.jpg

Absolutely top notch writing, arranging, playing etc. Nice notes as well. Mainly consisting of an enlightening interview with CT.

Got this one just yesterday along with the Lunceford and am going to feature them both on our weekday afternoon jazz show next month.

The Bennie Green select. I suppose BG was a modernist, but he's always appealed to me as a truly unclassifiable player (judicious use of vibrato, especially at the end of his phrases; an almost Prez-like rhythmic conception; totally at home with bop harmonies).

The Bennie Green select. I suppose BG was a modernist, but he's always appealed to me as a truly unclassifiable player (judicious use of vibrato, especially at the end of his phrases; an almost Prez-like rhythmic conception; totally at home with bop harmonies).

Absolutely - which is why he slotted in so well on the Buck Clayton Jam Sessions and sessions such as 'Jazz Studio 1'. In terms of stylistic flexibility, he reminds me very much of his contemporary, Frank Foster.