Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making my way slowly through the great Anita O'Day set I played this one on Sunday:

00042282957726_800x800.jpg

Great! I am not sure I can hear the "competitive" spirit between Ms. Anita and OP, but I sure enjoyed this one! But then I can't help but preferring the guitar solos over the OP virtuoso stuff, most of the time...

Also played disc 1 of the Basie Clef/Verve later - very nice!

basiesm.jpg

The Oliver Nelson just arrived! :party:

233.jpg

So Free For All, what do you (and others who have it) think of it? Eagerly awaiting a report.

I've had mine for about a week now but I've only managed to play it right through once.

First impressions are:

1) it is up to Mosaic's usual high standards for presentation and sound quality.

2) Of his own recordings I seem to prefer the two earliest dates - Full Nelson (Verve) & Fantabulous (Argo). Perhaps that's because they are the ones where he actually plays alto/tenor sax instead of just conducting/arranging.

3) The Kennedy Dream (Impulse) sounds so much better than my original vinyl that it could be a different recording!

4) I don't think the Shirley Scott album - Roll-em (Impulse) is going to grow on me

5) The Pee Wee Russell album - The spirit of '76 (Impulse) is lovely. I have never heard him play before, having always associated his clarinet playing with Dixieland Jazz which I'm not keen on. However his playing with the big band is absolutely stunning and has meant that I will be investigating other recordings of his.

5) There is probably too much Jimmy Smith in the set but it does sound so very good, if perhaps a little too familiar.

If you like other of his albums or you just want to upgrade existing vinyl then I don't think you will be disappointed with the set