Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard a lot of mixed things about this one... .mainly people believing that there is a lot of "non-jazz" on the set...

So how would compare this to say the Farlow??? I've tried but I just can't get into Joe Pass... something about him I find a bit "clinical"... Like too much emphasis on technique ... But... as always I'm open to your opinions...

Isn't this due to go OOP soon??? This is one of the last sets that I'm going to waffle on until "Last Chance."

Joe Pass--all 5 discs:

207.jpg

:tup

I'm not sure that there's a lot of "non-jazz" in this set. I know one reviewer on the Mosaic site complained about what he/she felt were non-jazz elements, but others complained about other albums not being included in this set precisely because they lacked jazz content, per this statement in the discography:

Joe Pass's post-1964 albums for the label ("A Sign Of The Times", "The Stones Jazz" and "Simplicity") are commercial ventures in larger musical settings. Their jazz content is minimal and therefore, they are not included here.

I like this set a lot, and I think it compares very favorably to the Farlow set. For example, although it includes only quartet sessions (which I happen to like), it has a nice mix of traditional standards, Pass originals, and tunes by people like Bill Evans and Clifford Brown.

Now, it's been a while since I listened to this set, so it's possible I'll encounter something I forgot I didn't like. If I do, I'll let you know. But so far this go-around, and based on what I recall from the last time I listened to it, I really like it. And if you enjoy jazz guitar, I can't imagine you not digging this set.

I've heard a lot of mixed things about this one... .mainly people believing that there is a lot of "non-jazz" on the set...

So how would compare this to say the Farlow??? I've tried but I just can't get into Joe Pass... something about him I find a bit "clinical"... Like too much emphasis on technique ... But... as always I'm open to your opinions...

Isn't this due to go OOP soon??? This is one of the last sets that I'm going to waffle on until "Last Chance."

Joe Pass--all 5 discs:

207.jpg

:tup

I only bought this set for the one and a half discs with Les McCann (I like Les a very great deal). I've listened to the other material a few times, but find it a bit too musicianly for my taste. To my mind, Pass was fine when he was playing with people like Groove Holmes, Les McCann, Earl Bostic and Clifford Scott; on other recordings, he seems to take himself too seriously.

MG