Underrated non-BN dates from 1965 thru early 70's

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish someone would release his "Unity" and "Jazz Impressions of Lawrence of Arabia" on CD. A board member was kind enough to burn a CD for me from the original vinyl, and these two dates are very good, very much in the same vein as "Impressions of a Patch of Blue."

I have the Dauntless vinyl of 'Lawrence of Arabia' and have just splashed out on an original Audio Fidelity vinyl of 'Plays Unity'. Can't wait to heat it. Just love Walt Dickerson's 60s albums (and his 70s Steeplechases too...)

• 10 months later...

:tup

Oliver Nelson - BLACK BROWN AND BEAUTIFUL (Flying Dutchman, 1969) (not to be confused w/the totally unrelated Bluebird reissue of the same name)

In some regards moreso than BLUES AND THE ABSTARCT TRUTH, this is the definitive Oliver Nelson album. One side "classical" oriented orchestral pieces (but 20th century classical, and definitely African-American in grounding), the other side some of Nelson's most probing, emotional, and challenging writing for conventional big band. A work of stunning complexity and depth, with more than a few chances taken, and more than successfully so.

AMG's Douglas Payne calls it correctly, if briefly:

A stirring tribute to Martin Luther King that is as searching and angry as it is contemplative and compassionate. Nelson mixes dissonant orchestral moments that nearly lapse into free zones with lovely, more familiar territory which celebrate a joy of love and life. Highly recommended but (as of yet) unissued on CD and very hard to find.

Part of the difficulty in finding the LP might be due to the fact that there is a fully frontally nude photo of a woman who is black, brown, and VERY beautiful (at least from the neck down - her face is not shown), which probably cost sales originally, and which probably drives the album into the hands of a "different" type of collector these days. It's a pity, because this is music that NEEDS to be heard.

The Oliver Nelson Mosaic thread got me excited ... found a used copy of this cheap from GEMM.

What Jim said (well, about the music, not that I am a "different" type of collector) ... this is very cool stuff :tup

Big bunch of esp's, Delmarks and nessa's (also all the European Bygs, Pathes, etc.) recorded during this span. Bummer no member noticed.

Very true - though I guess the original thrust of the thread was "inside-outside," so it depends on where you draw the line on that.

Personally, I guess 75% or more of my jazz collection falls somewhere in this camp of non-BN inside-OUTSIDE stuff.

Wonder how those Vocalion and Lonehill and all those other Britjazz reissues are selling? That is a crucial era/area of improvised music that needs not only re-documenting, but also attention from jazz fans worldwide.

A few of my favorites:

Ric Colbeck - The Sun is Coming Up - (Fontana UK) Englishman Ric played trumpet with Noah Howard's NY groups of the mid- to late-60s; this is his only issued session under his own name, a great, smokin' quartet with Mike Osborne, J-F Jenny Clarke and Sel Lissack on drums. Free, but very melodic and listenable. Rec. London, 1970

Dizzy Reece - From In to Out - (Futura) Dizzy's lone "outside" record that I know of, a modal freebop stormer with John Gilmore, Art Taylor, Siegfried Kessler, and bassist Patrice Caratini. Paris, 1970.

Bobby Bradford - Love's Dream - (Emanem) sorry Chuck, have to go with this one over the SME title you reissued. Great quartet juggernaut with insane Trevor Watts alto solos, John Stevens playing deep-listening postbop drums and Kent Carter providing the engine. Rec. Paris, 1973.

Amalgam - Prayer for Peace - (Transatlantic) beautiful trio music from Watts, Stevens and either Jeff Clyne or Barry Guy on bass. Emotionally eviscerating but never too "out," rec. London 1969.

Ted Curson - Urge - (Fontana) this one has been given mad props all over this site, but I'll bump it up again. Great pianoless quartet with Booker Ervin blowing hard and free, Edgar Bateman adding great pan-temporal rhythms and strong support from Jimmy Woode on bass. Rec. Baarn, Holland, 1966.

Tony Oxley - The Baptised Traveller - (CBS Realm) early Brit free jazz not completely out of the American mode yet, but a strong, melodic and well-organized date that now seems light years away from any of the Incus catalog. Oxley, Parker, Wheeler, Bailey and Clyne - can't go wrong here! Rec. London, 1969.

Manfred Schoof - Voices - (CBS) Not too well-known, but a great freebop quintet mining the Ayler-Ornette-Cecil bag for a German sensibility that was just coming into its own. Schoof is joned by Schlippenbach, Gerd Dudek (tenor), Buschi Niebergall (smokes Kowald) and Jaki Liebezeit (yes, THAT one) on the trumpeter's first date as a leader. Rec. Frankfurt, 1966.

More to come...

Edited by clifford_thornton

I wish someone would release his "Unity" and "Jazz Impressions of Lawrence of Arabia" on CD. A board member was kind enough to burn a CD for me from the original vinyl, and these two dates are very good, very much in the same vein as "Impressions of a Patch of Blue."

Well, somebody has just reissued these two on vinyl, and there appears to be a Fresh Sounds CD to be released March 7. CD Universe

Walt Dickerson Quartet -- Vibes In Motion (Jazz Impressions Of Lawrence Of Arabia/Plays Unity) . . . CD . . . $12.99

Audio Fidelity/Fresh Sound (Spain)

A few more for consideration:

Charles Brackeen: Rhythm X

Jaki Byard Quartet: Live

Carmel Jones: Jay Hawk Talk

J.R. Monterose Is Alive in Amsterdam (Paradiso)

The New York Art Quartet: Mohawk

The Max Roach Trio Featuring the Legendary Hasaan

Bill Strayhorn: Lush Life - Recorded (mostly in 1965) tho I don't think it was released until much later.

Ben Webster: Almosphere for Lovers and Thieves - Ben is not overlooked, perhaps, but this recording - one of the best from his later years - is.

1969 All -Star White House Tribute to Duke Ellington - not released until 2002

A few more for consideration:

Charles Brackeen: Rhythm X

J.R. Monterose Is Alive in Amsterdam (Paradiso)

The New York Art Quartet: Mohawk

The Max Roach Trio Featuring the Legendary Hasaan

All those are great, for vastly different reasons. And though the Hasaan is a Collectables CD, the rest are overdue for a proper reissue...

Mohawk is sweet, but that Monterose is a seriously heavy slab! :tup:tup

Guest akanalog

i like "mohawk".

milford graves has a way of making freer rhythms still sound controlled and groovy.

though the liner notes by tchaicai are a little messed up-saying don moore and jc moses were the original rhythm section but then graves sat in and it seems like they thought he was better so they made the switch right there and then moore didn't want to play with graves so then he left. i think moses is a good drummer from what i have heard. not that he is better than graves, but sounds like he got a raw deal here.

That is a true story, though. Milford and Giuseppi came by Mike Snow's loft where the NYAQ were practicing (with Moore and Moses), and apparently Graves asked to sit in and you can imagine where it went from there, sonically. J.C. Moses is an excellent drummer, but the NYAQ wouldn't be what it was without Milford. Of course, J.C. was doing some things post-64 that were really great in the free idiom, but if you think of how he was playing with the NYC5, it wouldn't have fit as well.

Don Moore is good, but when you look at the bassists who were in the NYAQ (ironically, they couldn't keep them for very long), Worrell, Swallow, Gomez, and Workman are all quite different players both from one another and from Moore. It would have been cool to see Eddie Gomez with them - he's great with Milford on the Giuseppi and Bley sides.

Guest akanalog

this herbie mann album is even better than stone flute, actually....

herbie mann's-concerto grosso in d blues.

mann's group w. sharrock, ayers, bruno carr, no vitous-ron carter instead-and a big concert ensemble lead by william fischer. i think this was recorded over in germany so it is german dudes. main piece is long shifty thing which melts from one strong theme to another (many sound familiar. i wonder if some of this album has been sampled.) what happened to bruno carr? i liked his playing. this one was recorded in '68 i think.

Lee Konitz: Duets & Peacemeal (both Milestone/OJC, I believe)

Peacemeal is one of Eddie Gomez/Jack DeJohnette's best recordings together. Man they are a fucking powerhouse together! A big Big second for Peacemeal. :tup

This may be a stupid question, but how many recordings did they make together? There's a Bill Evans album, right? What else?

Guy

Guest akanalog

guye. off the top of my head i think eddie gomez was also on dejohnette's first milestone album (the jack dejohnette complex or whatever). though dejohnette wasn't on drums for all of that one.

also wasn't gomez on the dejohnette ECMs w. bowie and abercrombie?

Did anybody mention DeJohnette's Have You Heard? (Milestone or CBS, depending...) session? Well whatever, it's a heavy record for sure - found I preferred it to The DeJohnette Complex anyway, on which Jack mostly plays melodica and electric piano, IIRC.

The CBS Japanese gatefold edition is cool, and sounds waaay better than the Milestone - those half-hour sides are helped by serious quality vinyl!

Guest akanalog

cliffoirde, i was sayin OJC should reissue that dejohnette as well as the cosmic chicken one in another thread.

i am not a big fan of the dejohnette complex one, just mentioning it because eddie gomez was on it. sorcery isn't so good either, IMO.

What about those great Savoy avant-garde sessions from the late '60s?

Marc Levin, Ed Curran, Marzette Watts, Bob Pozar (the Dixons were pre-65, hence I don't mention them) are have superb inside-outside dates for the label. Also, the Charles Moffett and Valdo Williams, which though not produced by Bill Dixon, still fall within the camp somewhat. Great stuff!

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention all those late '60s-early '70s Mal Waldron trios on various obscure European labels, as well as some Japanese titles. Some fairly interchangeable, but as an opus, the material is pretty great. I like Blood and Guts (Futura) quite a bit, especially.

Peacemeal is one of Eddie Gomez/Jack DeJohnette's best recordings together. Man they are a fucking powerhouse together! A big Big second for Peacemeal. :tup

This may be a stupid question, but how many recordings did they make together? There's a Bill Evans album, right? What else?

Guy

They were together on the second LP of McCoy Tyner's Supertrios.

Guy

Not stupid at all. That Evans record was 'Bill Evans at the Montreux Jazz Festival' - 1968. smokin'!!! :)

He was also on The DeJohnette Complex as was already mentioned and 'Works' which is what akanalog was refering too I believe. They also appeared together on DeJohnette's 'New Directions in Europe'. There is another album with jack playing piano called "The Jack DeJohnette Piano Album" aptly enough, which Gomez plays on. There's also a couple tunes on the Bill Evans box called "The Secret Sessions". I can't think of any others that haven't been mentioned. think.gif