Revenant is planning big Albert Ayler box

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice site that Renevant has finally put up: here. Some sound samples there, too. Love that Summertime!

The Marc Chaloin essay on Albert Ayler in Europe that is on the Revenant site is more complete than the one which appears on the 'Holy Ghost' book.

Thanks for providing the link!

I didn't want to jinx it until the box arrived, but UPS said today, and it did show up today (15 minutes ago)! It is quite an astonishing box, especially all the detail that went into the supplementary material. Of course it isn't more important than the music, but it is still fun.

I decided to start with the core of the box -- discs 6 and 7. Then I can return to the CDs in order.

This could be the last major CD purchase for a while, since I am very seriously considering leaving my job, though my goal is to move down the street to a rival company. If that happens, there won't be a major disruption in cash flow. I might leave even without a job waiting. Regardless of the future state of my bank account, I'm glad I picked up Holy Ghost. It's a good set to dwell on, and I probably will appreciate it more if I don't buy a lot of music in the meantime (though I will have to get Hill's Dance with Death, since I only ever had a burn of that).

epj626, it's my last major purchase for awhile too (in addition to the Fantasy order I just placed). Only purchase I'm allowing myself between now & Jan. 1 is a Mosaic order for the two new Selects and the Dinah Washington in late Nov. My wife just called to let me know that it arrived today, but I'm stuck at work till midnight... oh, woe! :mellow:

Mine's on backorder!   :angry:

Is anyone else as surprised as I am to hear this?

ALAN! YOU of ALL people! Ordering late? Shame!

:rsly:

I can feel the shame...

But the good news is that it arrived yesterday! It's quite a stunning package, isn't it?

I think I'm going to go offline right now and give it a listen...

Is FedEx delivering this in Europe? I had a post-it sticking on the door when I came home tonight, without any other information except I should call them up. Do they work Saturdays? I REEEALLY HOPE SO! If not, I won't be able to let them deliver it until Wednesday (hell, some people work during the day...)

ubu

Guest Chaney

Holy shit! That was my set they wanted to deliver on Friday, 9 a.m. - am I supposed to be home then? Those private carriers are one of the most stupid inventions of modern civilization! Hope nothing goes wrong with office delivery on Monday! Can't wait!

Do you have the option of making arrangements to visit their local distribution center and pick up the package?

Holy shit! That was my set they wanted to deliver on Friday, 9 a.m. - am I supposed to be home then? Those private carriers are one of the most stupid inventions of modern civilization! Hope nothing goes wrong with office delivery on Monday! Can't wait!

Do you have the option of making arrangements to visit their local distribution center and pick up the package?

No, they just marked I should advise them for a new date of delivery. And I wouldn't feel safe would they delive to my neighbours... no sir! Also they didn't try, obviously, as certainly someone would have been home (all elderly people).

They'll deliver to where I work (I hope I won't get any problem because of that, but I guess that box is worth a few problems!)

ubu

Here's a Boston Globe article on the documentary to which the earlier post alludes:

Film will aim spotlight on a free-jazz legend

By Steve Greenlee, Globe Staff, 12/6/2002

It's not hard to find jazz artists today who claim Ayler as an

influence.

Yet, he's still a mysterious figure; no one knows, for example, whether

his

1970 drowning in New York's East River was the result of suicide.

Brian Carpenter is trying to shed some light on Ayler's life, in

filming

what is apparently the first documentary about the saxophonist. Based

in

Boston, Carpenter has crews here and in New York working to assemble a

feature-length work about Ayler and his legacy.

Going back through this thread I had forgotten about this documentry. Does anyone know what's happened to this project?

Going back through this thread I had forgotten about this documentry. Does anyone know what's happened to this project?

Good question! I was approached by Carpenter about a year ago to contribute to the project. He was supposed to call back. Haven't heard from him since :(

I'm slowly absorbing the new box set, which is going to be extremely difficult as I have to divert large chunks of time to preparing for and scheduling/arranging a trip to Austin by my parents (and keeping my wife from flipping out).

What is clear from the moment anyone looks into this set and begins listening is that this is one of the best cd box sets ever assembled! (In my humble opinion). Right up there in my personal pantheon with the Miles at the Plugged Nickel, and the Parker/Benedetti and Nat King Cole Mosaics!