100 years later: defeaning silence

DrJ

I know this has been touched on in some recent discussions about Basie's 100th birthday passing with little to no fanfare in the U.S., but I hadn't also realized about other jazz giants who would have been 100 this year, including Fats Waller, Jimmy Dorsey, and Coleman Hawkins, until I read a piece about this in Jazz Times yesterday.

Sadly I find it little surprise that the general public hasn't made much notice of this. But in the jazz world, at least in the U.S., the silence is also deafening. For example, where are the boxed set tributes? Am I missing something? Are you listening Mosaic?

It strikes me that although there are a lot of complaints that nothing is being done, not many will want to correct that themselves. In other words: participate! :excited:

I know it only covers Basie, but at least that is something. If "they" are not gonna do "it," that leaves us and we cannot put our any comprehensive boxed sets, but there are other things that we can do.

Join the fun and click. The payment is eternal honour. ^_^

I know this has been touched on in some recent discussions about Basie's 100th birthday passing with little to no fanfare in the U.S., but I hadn't also realized about other jazz giants who would have been 100 this year, including Fats Waller, Jimmy Dorsey, and Coleman Hawkins, until I read a piece about this in Jazz Times yesterday.

Sadly I find it little surprise that the general public hasn't made much notice of this. But in the jazz world, at least in the U.S., the silence is also deafening. For example, where are the boxed set tributes? Am I missing something? Are you listening Mosaic?

Yep, unless your name is Duke, the record companies just don't think it helps sales much to promote the 100th....Bix was last year, wasn't he? Hell, I wish Classics would just start putting out Jimmy Dorsey discs...

When I first began listening to jazz, around 1960, I could count on my fingers and toes the number of reissues of 1920s, 1930s and 1940s jazz then available on lp. Such peerless and important performers as Hawk, Fletcher Henderson, Bill Coleman, Benny Carter, Earl Hines, Red Allen, Luis Russell, James P. Johnson, and many more were neglected entirely.

Today by contrast the riches embarress. Virtually every jazz recording made before 1950 is now on CD, and the career of every important jazz muscian of the early years can be traced in as much detail as his or her recorded legacy permits.

So I find it hard to work up much indignation over centennials ingnored. After all, it's really about the music and not the packaging, and happily we've got the music. :winky:

• 4 weeks later...

Mayoral Proclamation Recognizes October 9, 2004 as Count Basie Day -- Yehoodi.com’s Basie Centennial Ball to Celebrate his Music through Dance

New York City Mayor, Michael R. Bloomberg recognizes the tribute paid by the swing and jazz fans of William (Count) Basie by proclaiming October 9, 2004, "Count Basie Day".

New York, NY (PRWEB) July 14, 2004 -- New York City Mayor, Michael R. Bloomberg recognizes the tribute paid by the swing and jazz fans of William (Count) Basie by proclaiming October 9, 2004, "Count Basie Day". Close to a thousand dancers and jazz aficionados are expected to attend the Basie Centennial Ball to experience the transcendent power of Basie’s music and its reunion with the dance that it inspired, the Lindy Hop.

Lindy Hop evolved in the late 1920’s in Harlem and has been continued in New York and around the world since. This occasion also marks the 6th Anniversary of Yehoodi.com, which has for the past six years dedicated its efforts to fostering the global Lindy Hop community, online and off. With support from Jelly Roll Productions and Columbia University Swing, Yehoodi.com will be hosting the Basie Centennial Ball at Columbia University’s Roone Arledge Auditorium on October 9, 2004 to celebrate Basie’s musical gift to his generation, our generation and generations to come.

Following is an excerpt of the Mayor's proclamation:

WHEREAS: In a fitting birthday tribute to their musical hero, the Lindy Hop enthusiasts at Yehoodi.com have helped organize The Basie Centennial Ball, which will be held at Columbia University’s Roone Arledge Auditorium. Channeling Basie’s genius will be the 12-Piece Frank Foster Swing Plus Band, which will feature guests including such jazz legends as: Clark Terry, Frank Wess, Benny Powell, Joe Wilder, Irene Reid, Dennis Rowland, and Junior Mance. Their music will accompany one of the most recognized swing dance competitions in the world, Hellzapoppin’. As if this were not enough, there will also be dance tributes to the Count performed by nationally renowned swing dance troupes. While it might be impossible to top seeing Basie himself live at the Roseland, this year’s festivities are sure to prove that while musical styles have certainly changed in the last One Hundred Years, New York City still knows how to swing.

NOW THEREFORE, I, MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG, MAYOR OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK, in recognition of this important event, do hereby proclaim Saturday, October 9, 2004 as “Count Basie Day”.

The Basie Centennial Ball will celebrate the vitality of Basie’s music that drives his audience to dance. Hundreds of dancers of all ages will have the opportunity to swing to the sounds of Basie recreated by his most trusted composer and arranger, Mr. Frank Foster and an incomparable lineup of musicians consisting of many Count Basie Orchestra alumni. "To have a beautiful ballroom filled with hundreds of dancers of all ages dancing to the sounds of Basie is something I did not think would happen again on this grand a scale. I'm excited to be a part of it,” says jazz historian and WKCR radio personality Phil Schaap, who is also on the Basie Centennial Ball Advisory Board. This is an evening not to be missed by any jazz or swing enthusiast.

Tickets and more information about the Basie Centennial Ball are available at www.Basie100.com.

Basie's Centennial to be Celebrated by Swing Fans Worldwide -- Yehoodi.com and Jelly Roll Productions Reunite Basie Alumni to Celebrate 100 Years of Swing!

On Oct 9th, 2004, in New York, Frank Foster and his 12-piece Swing Plus Band will be joined by Junior Mance, Earl May, Barbara Morrison, Benny Powell, Irene Reid, Dennis Rowland, Clark Terry, Frank Wess and Joe Wilder to celebrate Count Basie’s Centennial at The Basie Centennial Ball. This incomparable lineup will reunite Basie's music with the dance it inspired: the Lindy Hop -- the original swing dance that evolved in Harlem during the late 20's.

New York, NY (PRWEB) June 23, 2004 -- On Oct 9th, 2004, Columbia University's Roone Arledge Auditorium will be the setting for a magical trip back in time as Frank Foster and his 12-piece Swing Plus Band are joined by several Count Basie Orchestra veterans and other jazz greats including: Junior Mance, Earl May, Barbara Morrison, Benny Powell, Irene Reid, Dennis Rowland, Clark Terry, Frank Wess and Joe Wilder. The event is the Basie Centennial Ball where this incomparable lineup will reunite Basie's music with the dance it inspired: the Lindy Hop -- the original swing dance that evolved in Harlem during the late 20's. 900+ dancers and jazz aficionados are expected to attend.

"Count Basie's music is made for dancing. It's more than just playing notes on a page," says Frank Foster. "We feed off of what the dancers are doing on the floor and they pick up on what we're doing on the bandstand, and next thing you know the night has flown by and you've never played better."

The evening is being co-produced by Jelly Roll Productions, a group of dancers committed to cultivating both lindy hop and live jazz by providing high quality dance events at affordable costs. They've produced events with influential jazz musicians such as the Junior Mance, Ray Bryant, Benny Powell, Earl May, Eddie Locke, Dave Glasser and John Bunch. Their ultimate goal is to reunite the music and the dance by making great live jazz music accessible to dancers and introducing (or reintroducing) jazz artists to the unique creative outlet of playing for dancers.

"This is a minor miracle what Yehoodi.com and Jelly Roll Productions are doing," said jazz historian and WKCR radio personality Phil Schaap, who is also on the Basie Centennial Ball Advisory Board. "To have a beautiful ballroom filled with hundreds of dancers of all ages dancing to the sounds of Basie is something I did not think would happen again on this grand a scale. I'm excited to be a part of it personally and I'm proud that WKCR is a sponsor."

This occasion also marks the sixth anniversary of Yehoodi.com, which has for the past six years dedicated its efforts to fostering the global lindy hop community, online and off. Founded by dancers for dancers, Yehoodi.com receives thousands of visits a week from around the world and is now managed by a volunteer staff of over seven administrators and various technical advisors covering news, calendar events, a discussion board and a 24/7 internet radio show, all focused on this classic, American dance.

"We're thrilled to be celebrating our sixth anniversary with this once-in-a-lifetime event," said Manu Smith, co-founder of Yehoodi.com. "To have the legendary Frank Foster lead a band made up of so many living legends is a dream come true for jazz aficionados and dancers alike."

The Roone Arledge Auditorium is located at Columbia University in Alfred Lerner Hall, 2920 Broadway (114th Street) and features a 9,000 square-foot dance floor. Admission is $40 online at www.Basie100.com until October 4th and $49 at the door. Admission for students and seniors (65+) is $30 and must show ID at the door. This event is produced with the kind support of Columbia University Swing, Legacy Recordings, Verve Music Group and WKCR NY and the William J. Basie Trust.

Contact: Frank Dellario, Yehoodi.com, (718) 599-2591 / frankyboy@yehoodi.com

Yep, Bix was last year. As for box-sets, RCA already put out a complete Glenn Miller set, and I doubt they have the economic nerve to tackle Fats' considerable output... how well did the Keepnews-produced volumes sell? It seems--I say seems because it's mostly based on my anecdotal observations--that the major companies are just a bit more wary of putting out complete, large, and/or comprehensive sets these days than they were a few years ago.

I do hope that the Hawk gets his due. Basie, I'm sure, will not be overlooked.