Euro 2004

France did not loose against Germany in 1982. Schumacher just knocked out Patrick Battison who was going to score the victory goal.

You don't mention the 1986 World Cup. With the right coach, we could have wom that one. We had the best team with the great Michel Platini. Too bad that coach Henri Michel could not control his players. Best match I ever attended (was there on assignment and did not see all of the match but I still remember the whole structure of the stadium at Guadalajara shaking every time there was action close to the goalmouths) was the France-Brazil quarterfinals match. Those penalty kicks that gave France victory! And the utter despair of the wonderful Brazilian fans!

yeah brownie, you are right. if the referee did what he was supposed to, Rumenigge would never participated on that match and we'd probably be on the final.

on the WC 1986 i was convinced that we have reached the peak of our powers in 1984. if this WC was in Europe and Platini wasn't injured we would have been champions.

you are right again about Henri Michel. this jerk made me suffer a lot specially on that draw against Cyprus in 1987...

the match against Brazil was superb and both teams lost many many chances to finish the match.

i will always remember the following day of the match when i went to school with my French jersey and collected the money from my bet against 55 schoolmates.

to loose again the ticket for the final against Germany was sad but predictable as we were very tired and that team wasn't too strong mentally.

anyway, it's my favorite team ever with that wonderful midfield players.

merci pour me rappeler ces moments delicieux brownie :)

Marcus

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcus,

I would like to remind you that in 1993 the French also have lost to Israel 3-2.

Unfortunately this was the last achievement of the Israeli national team…

i do remember this one but we were so confident that we were already qualified that we didn't care that much to loose this one. sadly, it was a key moment for the disaster.

i think Gerard Houllier wasn't prepared to be the coach at that time and the players were not that impressive.

the disaster of 1993 forged our triumphs on the following years.

Marcus

I am just curious: Is there something personal in your hate against italians?

not at all!!! i love your country and the italian people.

on the football side, Italy is the opposite of my understanding about this sport.

they play defensively all the time and i hate this.

maybe Marcelo Lippi will change my point of view

Marcus

thinking about the quarter-finals i have my bets but they don't necessarily are my wishes.

portugal x england = portugal (but i'll be praying for a british victory!!!)

france x greece = france (but i´m gonna suffer.....)

sweden x holland = sweden (even if i love the dutch team and their attacking mentality)

czech republic x denmark = czech republic

the best teams so far on the competition and it´s gonna be hard for Nedved & Co but i have a strong feeling that they are mentally prepared to be champions.

Germany, Italy and Spain should re-think their culture stopping this massive importation of foreign players specially on key positions. this is their major problem.

Marcus

The Germans did not deserve to qualify. Their attacks were so disorganized...

Until they find suitable replacements for the likes of Rumenigge, Matthaus or Voller, they will be in trouble.

That Czech team has impressive reserves. They should go far...

Quarterfinals:

1. Portugal against England on Thursday

2. France against Greece on Friday

3. Sweden against Netherlands on Saturday

4. Czech Republic against Denmark on Sunday

Semifinals:

winner 1 against winner 3 on Wednesday, June 30

winner 2 against winner 4 on Thursday, July 1

Final on Sunday, July 4

My bet:

1.- England vs Netherlands

2.- France vs Czech Republic

and then

England vs France

and then

France

B)

I'll bet on these semifinals:

- Portugal vs. Sweden,

- France vs. Czech Republic.

Then, I'll start praying for the final :rolleyes:

so Germany fails to win and is out. The Dutch did what had to be done and played 3-0 to Latvia. Difficult team to play good against, Latvia, as they play some very disruptive football. Still, with twice as much ball contact as the baltic dudes, the Dutch were pretty convincing, even if that penalty was a bit overdone (then again, was this the first time shit like this happened? no). The second one got much discussion and no, it was not okay according to the old rules, but yes, it was according to the new rules. Especially the German television seems to have a hard time to remember those new rules when they don't help them...

Has Davids started taking lessons fronm Nedved?

That was never a penalty!

Quarterfinals:

1. Portugal against England on Thursday

2. France against Greece on Friday

3. Sweden against Netherlands on Saturday

4. Czech Republic against Denmark on Sunday

Semifinals:

winner 1 against winner 3 on Wednesday, June 30

winner 2 against winner 4 on Thursday, July 1

Final on Sunday, July 4

My bet:

and then

England vs France

and then

France

B)

I'll bet on these semifinals:

- Portugal vs. Sweden,

- France vs. Czech Republic.

Then, I'll start praying for the final :rolleyes:

My guess

Semi Finals

Final

Netherlands vs Czech Republic

winners

Czech Republic

it was a foul, not a penatly. that was the mistake of the arbiter. you can blame Davids, but he is not the kind of player to fegh around like that.

from the angle they showed in the UK there was no contact.

Until they find suitable replacements for the likes of Rumenigge, Matthaus or Voller, they will be in trouble.

The German forwards played like impotants. They reminded me the French team of two years ago.

The German forwards played like impotants. They reminded me the French team of two years ago.

The 2002 French were beyond impotants. They were non-existent...

The 2002 French were beyond impotants. They were non-existent...

I'll accept your definition brownie :D

it was a foul, not a penatly. that was the mistake of the arbiter. you can blame Davids, but he is not the kind of player to fegh around like that.

You're right, there was no contact, ergo: no penalty.

And the the ref was only about two meters away from the incident.

Re-Czechs vs. Germany - Sure the German attackers had difficulty rolling in or heading balls on one-to-one or near empty nets, as the guy who missed the post bounce off from Ballack's shot, whereas Barros, receiving a good pass, got through two defenders and the goalie. In the end, it was a good match to watch, definitely exceeding my expectations.

And the the ref was only about two meters away from the incident.

which I found a bit strange as well. My impression was that Davids was pushed off balance just before, definitely not in the penalty area. I may be wrong though, which would alter my idea of Davids as a fair player (when his spirits are up, not when he's depressed).

I am just curious: Is there something personal in your hate against italians?

not at all!!! i love your country and the italian people.

on the football side, Italy is the opposite of my understanding about this sport.

they play defensively all the time and i hate this.

maybe Marcelo Lippi will change my point of view

Marcus

The italian team and Trapattoni had what they deserve: half time with Sweden is not enough to pass !! No one here in Italy, nor people or newspapers said that we were out because of the Sweden/Denmark combine, only for our faults. Nobody is mourning over Denmark/ Sweden match, but over the italian dreadful team. Maybe foreign newspapers stressed on the combine, but is not true, at least not in Italy.

Personally, I think we have to change all the football system here, there are investigations about the false budget of big teams like Roma, Lazio, Parma.

In general we have two leagues here, one of the rich teams like Juventus, Milan, Roma, Inter, Lazio, Parma and one of the others.

Big teams bought players just to park them as long terms substitute, in such way they steal good players to lower budget teams, and, yes, we have to much foreign players.

It's difficult to emerge for a young italian player in such way.

Marcello Lippi is a good coach, we will see.

One thing about our defense oriented mentality.

Do you remeber Brasil-Italy in 1982?

The brasilian wonder team, Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Junior, Cerezo, lost the game because of a totally offense mentality, and we won the cup.

On the other side in Usa we reached the final with Sacchi as coach, a offense mentality man, and we lost the cup.

BTW Brasil coaches have learn a lot from the defeat of 1982.

Every great team must have a strong defense to gain. If you followed the years of Sacchi's and Capello's Ac Milan, when they gained several champion cups, they were offense oriented with players like Gullit and Van Basten, but they had Maldini and Baresi on backside.

The point is: you can't score one and wait (this is the mentality we have to change), if you are superior you have to lead the whole match, but if your defense is weak you will loose.

B)

I think any bet on the outcome of any game of the quarter finals is more than tentaive. If this contest teaches something, it is that there are no winners on reputation, only on goals. What I like about the Czech tech is that they went out to play and win from the start, whereas the others were a little cautious.

I'm glad the German team lost - these guys get 1,4 million EURO each year a player, and for this money they should play ten times as good! Just the same for Spain or Italy. My thumbs are crossed for the Czech and Portuguese teams.

just in: Völler quits his job as coach of the german national team.

His aouncement was only question of time.

I guess he had enough of this. But firing coaches or them resigning is not the point - it's the players who should take the blame. A coach cannot make a goal. I can understand he has had enough of this. The next one, Ottmar Hitzfeld, is ready - looks too much like DFB talk behind closed doors.

just in: Völler quits his job as coach of the german national team.

His aouncement was only question of time.

I guess he had enough of this. But firing coaches or them resigning is not the point - it's the players who should take the blame. A coach cannot make a goal.

the coach is the one who selects the players, who trains them, who decides on overall strategy and tactics, and who decides who plays when. Pretty much to do wrong. Of course if the players are not there.... One might ask why Völler complains that there is a lack of good front players if he decides not to call on the top scorer of the German Liga.