Euro 2004

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

French soccer fans have a long history of major disappointments with their national team  :(

With the exception of the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000, of course.

Which make these disappointments so painful :excited:

France has plenty of excellent players but they gather to make a great team all too rarely. Let's hope we have a good coach to replace Jacques Santini. He will not be missed. Neither will be Marcel Desailly who has been team captain for too long!

What I meant to say is, that people are often talking about England when they mean Great Britain (which also includes Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, of course) and the other way around.

But that's not correct either. Great Britain is the island that includes England, Scotland and Wales. If you add Northern Ireland you get the United Kingdom.

What I meant to say is, that people are often talking about England when they mean Great Britain (which also includes Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, of course) and the other way around.

But that's not correct either. Great Britain is the island that includes England, Scotland and Wales. If you add Northern Ireland you get the United Kingdom.

You're absolutely right! Officially it's "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". My mistake :winky:

It's just like calling the Netherlands Holland; Holland (= actually two provinces) is only part of the Netherlands.

Sorry to jump in on another linguistic question (such things do fascinate me). I believe that in the English language the word ”Holland” means exactly the same thing as ”the Netherlands”. It’s the same in Swedish; ”Holland” and ”Nederländerna” are synonyms. Words may mean different things in different languages even if they have a common etymological origin. For example, ”Dutch” is the same word etymologically as ”Deutsch” (and ”duits” in Dutch, I believe?), but they have come to mean different things for historical reasons. Another analogous example would be the Finnish word ”Saksa” which means ”Germany” and not just ”Saxony”. Or for that matter ”German” in English which means something else than ”Germane” in German or ”german” in Swedish (sorry, don’t know the Dutch equivalent, but I suppose it’s something similar).