Euro 2004

It's just like calling the Netherlands Holland; Holland (= actually two provinces) is only part of the Netherlands.

Sorry to jump in on another linguistic question (such things do fascinate me). I believe that in the English language the word ”Holland” means exactly the same thing as ”the Netherlands”. It’s the same in Swedish; ”Holland” and ”Nederländerna” are synonyms. Words may mean different things in different languages even if they have a common etymological origin. For example, ”Dutch” is the same word etymologically as ”Deutsch” (and ”duits” in Dutch, I believe?), but they have come to mean different things for historical reasons. Another analogous example would be the Finnish word ”Saksa” which means ”Germany” and not just ”Saxony”.

Holland is the name of the most important province of the Republic of the United Netherlands (De Republiek der Verenigde Nederlanden, 1581-1795), a world power in the late 16th and 17th Centuries, and that's probably why "Holland" is (still) a synonym for "the Netherlands" in several foreign languages.

Or for that matter ”German” in English which means something else than ”Germane” in German or ”german” in Swedish (sorry, don’t know the Dutch equivalent, but I suppose it’s something similar).

The Dutch equivalent would be "Germaans". German in Dutch is "Duits".

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shameful performance by the French side. :tdown

I haven't seen such a weak disjointed game from them ever, I think.

Brownie mentions coach Santini. I find today's complete and utter disgrace to extend way beyond the talents and abilities of the coach. Nary a single well-placed pass the whole game doesn't mean it's coach's fault. These guys are all professionals of the highest order, but they flopped, and flopped bad. Even my favorite Zidane didn't show anything at all. He failed as a captain and leader of his team. And when Zidane fails, France has nothing to show.

Cudos to the Greeks. The better team won today. :tup

What I meant to say is, that people are often talking about England when they mean Great Britain (which also includes Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, of course) and the other way around.

But that's not correct either. Great Britain is the island that includes England, Scotland and Wales. If you add Northern Ireland you get the United Kingdom.

You're absolutely right! Officially it's "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". My mistake :winky:

Well I've learnt something here. I'd always assumed Great Britain and the United Kingdom were different terms for the same political concept.

Swing Swede is confirmed here:

http://www.know-britain.com/general/great_britain.html

One last note about (I hope) about last evening's match.

Things did not look right even before the game started. During the playing of national anthems, the whole Greek team sand along with their anthem. THEY wanted victory. The French players - with one of two exceptions - just stood mute and waited for this to be over.

End of it. No point looking back. Let's hope for better things from a redesigned French team...

Well, I think the Swedish team may very well be doing its last match in this tournament tonight. On the other hand, that's what I thought when they met Italy, too...

BTW, the headline of a Swedish evening paper the other day read something like "The Dutch 'Monster' - His orders: to crush Henrik Larsson!", referring to Jaap Stams.

According to a Swedish newspaper a Dutch TV commentator has called the Swedish players "a bunch of failed hockey players"...

I think Holland has to be considered the favourite tonight considering the number of star players they have, in conjunction with how their team has improved during the group play (just having star players is not enough as we saw in the France-Greece match) . The general consensus seems to be that this Swedish team is more uneven than the one that finished 3rd in the 1994 World Cup. The midfield has been a problem throughout the tournament and different players have been tested in different matches. There are two changes in the back line tonight too, since one player is injured and one is suspended. On the other hand, the goalkeeper Isaksson has been very good so far, and there are especially sharp players at the top with Larsson, Ibrahimovic and Ljungberg, so who knows what will happen.

One other thing to point out. In all three group matches Sweden has been worse in the first half, but then come out much stronger in the second half. We'll see if history repeats itself tonight.

Edited by Swinging Swede

thus far a tame game. Some more chances for the Dutch, but some *very* dangerous Swedes too. All is open. Nothing extraordinary, too much at stake maybe, still a pretty nice game to watch. The referee is not too good, blows the whistle just a tad too often and disrupts where he should not.

0-0. Going into extra time.

We want GOALS :excited:

yup. we do, but damn, that referee could have kept that whistle out of his mouth some more, what? incredible, he interupted some pretty interesting attacks on both sides. If it comes to penalties: bye bye Netherlands. Pity but true, they were the better team today, but could not reach the goal when they needed to.

The Dutch won the penalty shoot-out?? I'm speechless... :excited:

I'm told the game wasn't very good, so I guess I didn't miss much.

I guess you didn't, still the win was deserved really (for once, when it comes to penalty shoot-outs). The Dutch were on top most of the time, but the Swedish defense was TIGHT. Sweden had some terrifying attacks, but the Dutch were the only ones who really got an attack or two going out of their own and from more than a defensive mistake. BIG kudos to the Swedes, I would not have mourned had they reached the semi-finals, but this is a bit more comfortable, although not on the beer reserves....

It's always cruel to lose in a penalty shoot-out, but only one team can go through, and they must be separated somehow of course.

Holland had more posession of the ball, but I think Sweden had just as many dangerous chances. In the second half of the extra time Sweden had one shot that hit the bar and one that hit the post. I think the match could have gone either way, but congratulations to the Dutch, who have had many painful penalty shoot-outs.

The match tonight could be very good. Czechia has been the most impressive team so far, and Denmark is very solid, and difficult to beat. They impressed me against Sweden. The Danes have several injured players though, so this could present a problem.