Are Blue Note RVG's overpriced?

margolbe

This may be heretical, but here goes.

Most of these CD's only contain 30-40 minutes of music.

The packaging is nothing special.

If you look at some of the other deluxe editions in classical (Mercury Living Presence, Decca Legends, DG original), they contain far more music, often combining several albums.

And look at the Mosaics -- often 60-70 minutes per disk, detailed liner notes and not that much more expensive per disk.

Any thoughts?

Not when you can find them on sale at times, for only $10 or even occasionally $9 each.

And even the standard 'list price' of $12 is reasonable, in my opinion. ($13 would be pushing it, but $12 seems fair to me.)

I figure, at least they aren't trying to soak us for $13.99 for all these remasters of titles that many of us already have (or can find used for $8 or $9).

So no, I don't think they're overpriced.

Imo they're reasonably priced, even at the Borders $11.99. I always enjoy Blumenthal's new notes- they're usually a factor in my upgrading.

The only one that angers me (still haven't bought it) is the Rollins Vanguard double with its inexplicable $27 list. Can't figure that for the life of me. But I want it...

With mid-priced CDs there is no reason to complain in my view.

I usually pre-order new RVGs at cduniverse.com, were they cost less than $9.

Until the Blue Note releases were copy-protected in Europe (june 2003) I used to wait until the RVGs were available at zweitausendeins.de, were they were sold for 7 Euro.

As far as 2CD RVGs are concerned, they cost 16-18 Euro here, which is less than twice the price of a single CD RVG. Sonny Rollins Village Vanguard @ amazon.de

Yeah, that darned $8.99 - $11.99 per disk is breaking me, financially. :rolleyes:

The costs of the remastering, repackaging, distributing, retailing, and some profit must be paid by some means. If Blue Note can keep the price of RVGs where it is, I'll continue buying the RVG releases.

What I don't understand about RVG pricing is why a two-disk RVG costs more than two one-disk RVGs. What gives?

Considering that the original LPs went for about 5 bucks new and usually sounded better, HELL YEAH they're overpriced!

JUST KIDDING!!!!! :g:g:g

Seriously, I think the price is about as good as one could hope for. Definitely NOT overpriced!

Edited by JSngry

I trade my old versions in for $5 credit and pay $10 for the new RVG. They only cost me $5 net, but then I did have to buy the same thing twice...

On balance, I do pay to have the remasterings. Obviously, it must be worthwhile for me. I hope BN remasters everything that needs it.

Jackie's "Demon Dance" next please.... <_<

I have twice complained about prices, only to have non-US posters inform me about spending $20+ for every cd.  Spoiled Americans...

Spoiled Americans? :P

Rather, the price of most anything, including CDs, is set to the level at which the market will bear. Fortunately, the market has dictated that Blue Note must price the RVGs at a 'lower' price to make them sell in the USA.

Sometimes, the free enterprise system works.

Edited by wesbed

I think RVGs are priced just fine. It's the Verve Master Editions that cost too much, IMO.

Tell me about it. You got a lot of extras with the Verve Master Editions, but they were STILL overpriced, in my humble and pissed off opinion. And they went out of print way too fast. Verve---- :rolleyes:

Though I think RVGs are a bargain, after filling out a spreadsheet I see you might be on to something. Or to rephrase it, a long disc that's priced higher might be a better bargain than a short RVG, at least in terms of valuing art by the pound (or in this case, minute.)

Just a few examples:

A 70 minute disc at $16.89 is equal to a 50 minute disc at $11.89. (24¢ a minute.) The same goes for the above if the 70 minute disc is $11.48 and the 50 minute is $7.99. (16¢ a minute.)

A 57 min. disc at $14.99 is equal to a 35 min. disc at $9.00. (26¢ a minute.)

I'll stop there as otherwise it looks like music appreciation by an accountant from a phone company. But suffice to say a long more expensive disc like a Conn is probably a better bargain than a short RVG. As long as you like the extra cuts that is.

A couple of short RVGs that jump out at me are Go! and Bud! Short but oh so sweet, and I would have happily paid more if that's what it took.