Blindfold Test #13: Disc 1, the "official BFT"

EKE BBB

I must recognize I had never heard Oscar Brashear before until I picked this CD. He plays several good solos through the disc.

Recommendations?

[Xocia's Dance] with Harold Land and George Cables. I have only a faulty LP, one side is in a different position to the other, so played one way up the hole is in the wrong place and it wobbles like crazy. But I know the music is good.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some quick comments for now. I started these last week and hoped to add more, but I'd better put down what I have before these get by me altogether and the answers are posted. Many thanks to Agustin for these discs - there's some really fine stuff on here. I only regret I haven't had more time to absorb it...

1 “Funny Bunny?” Clever. Ellington never quite sounded like this… :D Not Ella, but could have been…

2 Not doing it for me.

3 Like this one much more. Guitar sounds familiar…

7 “Everything Happens to Me?”

8 Me like this! Great energy. In know the tune, but am drawing a blank right now…

10 Lovely! I want to know who this is!

12 Hmmm…. Like parts of this, hate other parts. This does sound familiar, though – I think I may have this.

13 Dinah Washington? Sounds almost like her. ;)

14 This is familiar, too, but I can’t recall the name of the tune…

Haven't read the thread. Some observations while listening.

1. Corny singing about a bunny? Skatting- a bit frantic, but fun. Not loving the voice, but appreciate the energy and the call and the back-and-forth with the sax.

2. Cool bass line and lots o' horns. Nice ensemble playing. Sax solo starts with familiar quote- pretty standard post-bop solo, but fits nicely after that big opening.

Ah jazz- the only genre of music in which a bass solo isn't annoying...

I like this.

3. Ok, something old. Smooth sax stylings (Lester Young?) and Charlie Christian style guitar. Familiar and warm, the kind of stuff one goes "back" to. Pretty.

4. Love the duo sax/horn playing in the opening. This track reminds of Art Farmer and Benny Golson (this is based on the one Art Farmer album I have, though). I like this.

5. Big dramatic opening! Bass and trumpet duet part is cool. Lots of accents and dynamics on this one- a fun listen. I would put this on at a party.

6. Solo piano, nice, but don't listen to enough solo jazz piano to even hazard a guess on who this is. Caught a quote of a familiar tune...

7. Ah, the ballad in the middle of the disc- just like a real jazz album. Pretty, broken-toned trumpet playing, so one may think of Miles, but it's not him. The recording sounds modern. This music is nice at a club when you're with a lady.

Where is the ending?

8. Groovy organ (I don't listen to organ enough, sadly). Another duo horn thing here (the disc compiler seems to favor this). A spirited, groovy tune.

9. Ah, the blues. Soulful lady- I am a total sucker for this stuff. Lovin' it from the first note.

10. Lovely and adventurous piano playing- reminds me of Keith Jarret.

11. Fascinating Rhythm? Beginning of them kinda sounds like it. Another big band type sound, similar to track #2.

12. A cool tune. Don't like the sax tones, though. It's a funky melody. Much head bopping going on here. Dig the crazy, clanging piano.

13. Dinah Washington?

14. A nice, ellegant old swing number.

Ok, cool, so I really liked the whole disc (except maybe the first track).

Thanks much!

Now to read the whole thread while listening to and jotting down notes about the bonus disc, then finally to look at the answers...

Well, I know I am the last one in these BFTs but excuse me for that.

Agustin, many thanks for bringing such wonderful music to us. Your taste is wide open to old and new jazz, so I really enjoy listening to yours compilation.

I did not read others people guesses, so you may find my answers outdated or even funny, but that is how it goes for me:

Disc 1

1. Well it sound like Ellington, but probably it is not. Don't know really. It is "C Jam Blues" of course, but vocal... Can it be Annie Ross? Vocal is very nice, BTW. Tenor sax has that Lockjaw Davis sound, and drums sounds like Sam Woodyard. And baritone sax... no, no... it probably is not Ellington but very good a devoted Ellington's friend doing his role. Interesting. ****

2. A well known track, still I can not think about the title. Tenor is under strong Trane's influence (first solo). Trumpet sounds very mellow and nice. Rhythm section sounds the way I don't like - too much "everyman for himself" feeling. ***

3. West Coast. Tenor is probably from west coast school also. Bill Perkins, Warne Marsh or even Phil Urso. Guitar sounds great, someone like Tall Farllow. ****1/2

4. The same scheme to me. Chord progression suggest "I Remember April" as main theme used for it. Alto sounds like Lee Konitz. Trumpet? The same guitar playing as on 3. but here the guitar is not so fluid, and lines are not so well constructed. The piano sounds like Horace Silver according to those bass notes at the left hand.

3. and 4. - The music I like so much ****1/2

5. Don't have the slightest idea, about this one. **

6. Private session? Sounds like Waller and other stride pianists, still I think this is not anyone from the front line of stride pianists. Waller has another touch, with more strength and power, if I may say. ***1/2

7. Is it M..... with B... E.....? And Mr. P... C...... and J.... K.... Well, it is music that I like more and more, profound, carefully played, well organized and, simply good. ****

8. It's "Lester Leaps In". This type of arrangement I first heard with Harry James and his (postwar) big band. Thing was played by two tenor players, not so well known, but played with passion and deep understanding the tune. The same occurs here, and left tenor can be Lockjaw, again... Organ? Don't know. Tenor on the right sounds like Hawkins. Who knows... it can be Bean... ****

9. This sounds like Armstrong Hot Five/Sevens working unit especially clarinet that reminds me on Dods playing "Alligator Crawl". The sound is perfect, is it JRT Davies in remastering booth :))) ****

10. Quite interesting piano. Still I will have to learn a lot more about modern jazz to be able to instantly recognize him. ***1/2

11. Structure of the tune reminds me to well known standards (like "Once In A While") played in 3/4 time. Well it is not my cup of tea, I simply don't like modern big band sound. **

12. ?

13. Well, it is lady who sounds like some other well known jazz diva named Dinah Washington. But it is not Dinah, it is N..... W...... of course. And here she is with one of all time heroes of mine - great G...... S........ I like it, still N..... was not always in this mood, and while having pure and volumetric voice, she is probably not favorite singer of our jazz scene. Pity, she deserves it *****

14. No, it is not Glenn Miller, but Miller used this as "his" tune and won several competitions, around 1939 or so. Here, it is probably E...... H........ signature tune, and he was nice but almost is forgotten player and big band leader, nowadays ****

7. Is it M..... with B... E.....? And Mr. P... C...... and J.... K.... Well, it is music that I like more and more, profound, carefully played, well organized and, simply good. ****

This is what I find so irritating about this track - not only the trumept, the whole band sounds like it was an unreleased take from the Blue In Green session ... :huh:

Don't worry that you're late - you'll be the first one I will ship a disc to when it's my turn.

Many thanks, mikeweil!

Well Agustin did quite fine job while puting someone who sounds like Miles and is not Miles himself. Thanks, my friend, you did right thing, I have to listen more and more.

But, fortunatelly, I am happy with recognizing Dods (and probably JRT Davis). Those low clarinet tones always got me.

Well, I know I am the last one in these BFTs but excuse me for that.

Agustin, many thanks for bringing such wonderful music to us. Your taste is wide open to old and new jazz, so I really enjoy listening to yours compilation.

Thanks for your replies, Milan. I know you´ve been very busy lately.

And if you liked pianist on track 10... you´ll know much more about him sooner or later :w

Many thanks to EKE BBB!

Sorry to be so late joining the discussion for BFT13, I mixed in a week in Hawaii. So now I've got my freshly tanned hide chilling next to the boombox giving these great discs another intense listening. I'm certain I have a few of these tracks and can't name them--my usual BFT struggle. ***** = highest possible rating.

DISC ONE

1. Don't recognize this funny bunny, but it makes me smile.***

2. I think I have this one but I can't remember what it is if I do. Really cool.*****

3. Grant Green?****

4. Another one I think I recognize, but just can't put my finger on it.****

5. Freddie Hubbard?*****

6. No idea, but enjoyable--the intro is pretty, in a good way, then the pianist goes for a fun romp. I can't say I know what piano player would play this way.***

7. Miles Davis?****

8. This one made me wiggle and jiggle in my seat. Party time! Organ with bass is odd...isn't it? No clue.****

9. What a voice! Embarassed to say I don't know vocalists. Bessie? Amazing song, both instrumentally and singing-wise. A shame about the hiss.*****

10. Can't name it. Reminds me a bit of some stuff I've heard from Jason Moran. A bit too long, but I like it just the same.***

11. For some reason Jackie McLean comes to mind, but I can't say I've got a clear guess. Complex approach from all involved, very intense.*****

12. This one has grown on me since I first heard it, the horns are oddly catchy. No guess.***

13. It should be too cutesy for me, but I actually like this a lot--even the corny lyrics. The instrumental is absolutely infectious.****

14. Now we're swinging, que no? Can't say I know who this is.****

Excellent BFT Agustin! Thanks again! :tup