Blindfold Test #13: Disc 1, the "official BFT"

EKE BBB

Just got this this morning, so jumping in a bit late--didn't peek at any answers.

1. “Cottontail”. Some Oscar Peterson mannerisms in the piano at the start but it’s much more tentative than Oscar. Urk, I don’t like the timbre of the singer’s voice. & the scat singing.... as garish as usual for this style. The sax, hm is it actually an old guy or a young guy imitating Hawkins, Webster, &c (James Carter?). The advent of the big band surprised me, I’d assumed this was a small group. I don’t know, maybe one of those Lincoln Center Ellington recordings. Whatever it is, I hated this.

2. From the opening notes I already think I should know these players, esp. the drummer. Oh, Elvin! The tune sounds familiar but I can’t place it. Joe Henderson on sax, & oh right, he’s the composer, what’s the name of the tune? Hate the sound on the bass, & in general this isn’t sonically very pleasing. The trumpeter’s name isn’t coming to me. The second tenor I’m not sure about – I’d actually at first assumed it was a 2nd solo helping from Joe but there’s obviously two tenors in the ensembles. Despite the obviously first-rate lineup, I didn’t like this track very much.

3. The sax is perhaps Ted Brown: not assured enough for Marsh surely? This has an odd Tristano-goes-to-the-West Coast vibe. No idea on the guitarist. The poor pianist is lost in the mix! S’ok, not all that good.

4. First thought is 1950s Chet. Hm, I’m not sure I know this saxophonist: interesting tone, a little thicker than usual for Parker disciples. Nah, the trumpeter can’t be Chet, but he does sound darn familiar. The relentlessly bouncy rhythm section feel is starting to get to me by the end. Again, has something of a West-Coast feel for me due to the chunking, cheery piano comping. It’s an all right track. The player I’m curious about is the saxophonist.

5. Nice to have the compilation cooling off a bit – too many fast ones for me so far. Nice trombone solo; the bass solo is good but does less for me. I’m not sure I know the trumpeter – probably a younger guy who’s got the 1960s Blue Note trumpeters under his fingers. An OK track without quite doing it for me.

6. I like the after-hours sound quality! What’s the tune? Oh, right, “Hallelujah”, an Art Tatum fave. This track has buckets of atmosphere unlike the previous tracks – a nice feel. Hm, I’m puzzled: so much here says “Tatum” & yet surely Tatum would be a little more hyperactive? There’s not a single one of his “breaks”, those runs that interrupt the steady rhythm & careen around the keyboard. & there’s a bit around 4:00 which is definitely NOT Tatum. I’ve really no idea who this is but it’s the first track I like a lot.

7. Much louder track than the last one: a rush to turn it down. Milesish trumpet, maybe Enrico Rava? I always thought of him as a slightly tougher customer than this, though. What’s the tune? I think my memory’s going to pot. This is very pretty but cloying. I’d wager this is an ECM disc: maybe Rava’s new one Easy Living?

8. Oh, I have this track, it’s a “very” good album indeed!

9. Oh I’m hopeless with early jazz but I liked the track.

10. Pretty, tremulous opening that tickles the ear. I wonder where it’s going. Hm, this one keeps my interest without really strongly grabbing me: it stays “light” when I expected it to get a little heavier, & that’s OK. No strong reaction to it really, & I don’t know who it is. This is just too loooong.

11. “Valse Hot”. The free time passage after the head takes me by surprise. I don’t know who any of these players are. Wasn’t hooking in by the 1st tenor solo, got a little more interested by the time of the 2nd tenor solo (both in the solo & the rhythm section’s shading-in of the background). No idea who any of these guys are. This is all right.

12. David Murray. Ugh, I do NOT like this track. It may be deliberately messy but it’s nonetheless messy. No idea who the other players are. Dave Burrell on piano?

13. Um, is this really the best rhythm section & material for this singer?

14. Ah, this is more like it. A bit puzzled: isn’t that Hodges on the alto? but this surely isn’t Ellington? But, hm, sounds like maybe Jimmy Hamilton on the clarinet. I guess it is the Ellington band??? This is a bit uneven as a track – a really dull chart, in particular – but I liked it moderately anyway.

Well, at least you didn´t hate all the tracks, Nate! ;)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting selection ! - for the second time I'll try to post this, after having lost the whole lot just after finishing the first attempt ;)

(1) 'Cottontail'. Sounds sort of Bill Berry, Capp/Pierce Juggernaut-ish. Haven't a clue who the singer might be. Ernestine Anderson?

(2) Sounds like Elvin on drums and possibly George Mraz on bass. By process of total wild-ass guessing, I'll throw the following possibility in the ring.. This One

(3) Sounds very familiar. Doesn't sound like Getz and Smith but it's from that vintage. I'm sure I've got this one in the racks somewhere. :rmad:

(4) Recognised this one immediately. Under-rated ex-pat guitar player.. This One

(5) Again, an immediate recognition. This was the leader's 'comeback' studio album.. This one..

(6) Fats Waller?

(7) Sounds very Milesian, I like it. The trumpeter's sound is a bit like that of Jerry Gonzales but really no idea.

(8) Sounds like Lockjaw plus other tenor and organ. I don't think it's the 'Tough Tenors' from the sound of the other player.

(9) Bessie Smith?

(10) Sounds like it might have been recorded at one of those 'Live at Maybeck' sessions. I've heard this one before but can't quite put my finger on it..

(11) 'Valse Hot' - far inferior to the original version. Not keen on this one.

(12) No idea.

(13) The style of the piano/vibes and the singer's voice gave me this one pretty quick. It's from This one

(14) Like it ! Glenn Miller's version sucks, in comparison.

Nice selection EKE ! Many thanks for putting it together, have enjoyed listening to it. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

Got my discs yesterday, but didn't have time to listen until this evening. Here are my impressions of Disc 1:

1. Cottonatail. 3.5 stars. Nice singer, great band. Not sure who, but they're kickin' it! A lot of Jon Hendricks influence here. Could this be his daughter?

2. Interesting composition, which I like, but don't recognize. The bass and drums really drive this along very nicely. I wish I had developed a sharper ear for identifying bassists and drummers (that's one thing that BF tests will help me with).

3. Ah, I have this: Track 1 from this CD The tune is based on "I Never Knew".

4. I have this too: Take 1

5. Hmm... I need more time with this one.

... Whoa... I think I just set a world record. I started this post on Sunday afternoon/evening (?) and at this point had my computer's monitor die on me. I had my database file open, which could have been damaged if I shut the computer down, so I left it on. We just borrowed a monitor from my brother-in-law, and 24+ hours later, I'm surprised to see that the reply page is still open, and we're still logged on to AOL! :wacko: At any rate, I can now finish my post...

6. The tune is "Hallelujah". Don't know the pianist.

7. Need more time with this as well. Sure reminds me of Miles, but I've only had time to play this track once.

8. I have this one

9. ? I could guess, but it would be a complete shot in the dark.

10. Don't really care for this. Reminds me some of Corea or Jarrett, but I'm unsure.

11. The tune is "Valse hot", a relatively modern version. The tenor has chops, but this isn't quite my thing. Well done, though.

12. dkdc

13. I have this: Track 1 I have been enjoying this vocalist more and more recently.

14. I want to say "tuxedo junction". Don't know the artist...

=====

Edit: In my confused and disrupted state (California ;)), I just realized that the Disc 2 guesses didn't belong here...

Edited by Jim R

Well, at least you didn´t hate all the tracks, Nate! ;)

Oh well, it's about par for the course with me--I think there were only two tracks I actually disliked, most of the rest were various shades of "OK", & there were I think 3 or 4 winners. Maybe my days as a TA have rubbed off--grading on a bell curve....

Anyway, will get on to disc 2 sometime tomorrow.

Edit:  In my confused and disrupted state (California ;)), I just realized that the Disc 2 guesses didn't belong here...

:g:g:g

Thanks for editing your post, Jim!

BTW: you´ve been the first one to nail some determined track (which BTW I thought others would identify at first listening... :w )

Edited by EKE BBB

BTW: you´ve been the first one to nail some determined track (which BTW I thought others would identify at first listening...  :w  )

If this is pointed in my direction, I must confess I was searching for a fuller Belgian connection!

Rene Thomas I had figured out but I was also thinking Bobby Jaspar and spent too much (but very enjoyable time) relistening to the records from that glorious team.

Did not get to the album that Jim identified in time.

Besides how can we figure out those Blindfold Tests when we have Eurosoccer going on?

Edited by brownie

BTW: you´ve been the first one to nail some determined track (which BTW I thought others would identify at first listening...   :w   )

If this is pointed in my direction, I must confess I was searching for a fuller Belgian connection!

Rene Thomas I had figured out but I was also thinking Bobby Jaspar and spent too much (but very enjoyable time) relistening to the records from that glorious team.

Besides how can we figure out those Blindfold Tests when we have Eurosoccer going on?

You football freaks! :g

And yes, I was thinking of you (among others) to nail track 3....

Same for TRACK 1 :w

And, besides track 1, we still have 7, 9 & 10 totally unidentified.

For track 12, leader has already been identified, but not sidemen... and much less the recording (this will be a harder task, I think)

Ooops, I forgot mikeweil still hasn´t brought his guesses for Disc 1. :rsmile:

Let´s wait till he posts them. I won´t count my chickens before they hatch! :)

BTW: you´ve been the first one to nail some determined track (which BTW I thought others would identify at first listening...   :w   )

I have been pounding Jaspar too, little quirky something was not right though.

then I had to watch futebol...

now I'll go and think about why I didn't pick up that Thomas title, how is the other one from the series?

I have been pounding Jaspar too, little quirky something was not right though.

then I had to watch futebol...

now I'll go and think about why I didn't pick up that Thomas title, how is the other one from the series?

Both "The real cat" and "Meeting Mr. Thomas" JIP releases are superb, IMHO.

I don´t have my copy here, but as far as I remember, the second one is a later recording (1963) and features Lou Bennett on organ (can´t remember now if he plays in all tracks), what brings another groove to the music.

Actually I played a little tricky with "L´imbecile" as it´s one of the tracks where the guitar is not as much in the foreground as in most of the others.

Only 8 braves have had the courage to post their guesses so far.... :mellow:

RRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGG !!!!!!!!

FREE MOSAICS FOR ALL THOSE WHO POST THEIR GUESSES FROM NOW ON

:g:g:g

(if you´d ask me for those Mosaics... I´d delete this thread :P )

Edited by EKE BBB

I'll certainly give it a try.

1. Tune is "The Jeep is Jumping" I think. Just a vague guess at Annie Ross but I don't really know.

2. I know this one. Recognised the tune straight away. It's this #7.

3. Getz with Jimmy Raney and Al Haig? Don't know the tune.

4. Not going to miss this trumpeter yet again - my hero!. Some of my favourite music, and I like the alto player very much too. I played on this often in the army and did a lot of the other too. Paris. Enough said?

5. The title of the tune would reflect to album title but for one letter. Letters enough for the leader too (two).

6. Hallelujah, but that's all I know.

7. Don't know - like it.

8. Know the tune but can't name it, again. Don't like organs.

9. Bessie?

10. No idea.

11. Again stuck for the name of the tune but it's certainly familiar.

12. Not for me - literally, not the name of the tune!

13. I got the sound straight away - the vibrato on the vibes has to be turned off, to give the "mutuality" between piano and vibes. Singer not the one with the laughing face.

14. Is it "Jive at Five"? Never sure about these older tunes - should know. No idea who.

Now I'll have a look at other comments, see where I am wrong. Nice one, EKE - enjoyed it.

Well, after a few listens, I’m ready to tuck into this BFT and post some impressions. Great test—really enjoyable tunes and atmosphere throughout.

1. It always seems to be that I can never think of the names of the songs I know I know. This is the first time I’ve heard this (vocal) version, and although I’m not typically partial to vocals, I love this track. The arrangement is great, together with a barrelhouse boogie piano break! Parts of the arrangement actually sound like John Barry—the high trumpets, specifically—but I have no idea who’s singing. Not even going to embarrass myself by guessing.

2. Another one I know I know…but don’t know (even though I’m sure I have it. This will be a d’oh for sure)! Not sure what the arrangement is. At times sounds like Oliver Nelson…but I’m thinking the drummer has got to be Elvin. He’s all over the place!!! Wait a minute…is this this album ? Hmmmm…

3. Never heard this one before. My jazz guitar knowledge isn’t that broad, but if I had to choose, I’d say it sounds like Kenny Burrell. I like it, but I have no idea what it is.

4. I know I have this…I think it’s from this record I loved this when I bought it, and still do. Of course, I’m probably way off the mark!

5. Another one I’ve got in my collection. This sounds like Impulse-era JJ Johnson to me. Wait, I just put on the headphones. No way is this Impulse-era JJ. I have no idea what is. Bill Watrous, maybe? Hell, he’s the only other trombonist I know! Just kidding. It’s definitely later, and I think I was wrong about having it. Not sure I like it too much. Wait, is that Donald Byrd? Ah forget it. Lots of embarrassment for me this time around!

6. Very lyrical, but it’s putting me to sleep. I wonder how old this track is? Don’t know what or who it is. I think it’s too lyrical to be a piano roll, but that’s the vintage it seems to me. Not wild about it. “To the halls of montezu-u-ma”…What’s the name of that song?

7. Whoever this is was seriously influenced by Miles. I don’t think it’s MD himself because, sonically, it sounds too recent. This is a beautiful piece—I know I don’t have it, but I’ve gotta get it. Very good Sunday morning music.

8. Nice jump beat. Again, no idea who this is, but I feel like I should. The unison sax playing kicks some serious ass.

9. Must be cut from a 78. Is it early Billy Holiday? Bessie Smith? Again demonstrating ignorance in an entire genre. Love the track, love the clarinetist.

10. This isn’t to my taste—it sounds like one of those “Winter”/ “Spring” Windham Hill solo piano records. Watch, it will probably be Keith Jarrett, who I typically like.

11. Damnit—another one I know, and have, but can’t think of the name. Does this mean I have too much music? Love, love LOVE this track. This has got to be a Shorter/Byrd front line. It’s very chaotic ;) --it must be from this record.

12. Love this one too—but although I’ve heard it, I know I don’t have it (but, in typical fashion, will shortly after I find out what it is). I don’t have a clue. Unless it’s late Rasaahn Roland Kirk. Which is pretty likely, the longer I listen to it!

13. This BFT is all over the board! This track is great! Space age bachelor pad indeed! Great, just what I need, another genre to explore. Unfortunately, there are 153 entries for this song on AMG, so I won’t even hazard a guess.

14. Standard that I played in jazz band. I'm pretty sure it's Tuxedo Junction. I like it, but have no idea who it is. Great way to end the test.

Well, I had a blast with this test! Thanks for putting it together. I’m finally starting to feel like I know some of the tunes…only took 13 tests to get there. I’m pretty damn confident about one track—if I’m right, it will be cause for celebration! Can’t wait to see the other responses and the answers.

Thanks, EKE!!!

Just replying, no time to read aynthing, and not yet finished disc 2...

CD 1:

1 - "Cotton Tail" - awesome vocals! Great tenor! First thought this could be the EKE band with Ella, but then this doesn't really sound like Gonsalves and Ella...

A great performance and a great opener! Would like to hear more!

2- I guess I should be able to identify at least the first tenor soloist (is there more than one? Should listen to this one some more...). Everything sounds familiar here! Elvin on drums? Trumpet is solid. The bass sound makes me guess this is from the late sixties or later. Another BFT to include something from the Elvin Mosaic? Must I have it before I am allowed to conduct my own BFT? ;)

This track is GREAT!

3 - Early to mid fifties, European, French? Jaspar, Gourley? Would have to check with what I have... Quite a change of pace! Nice one.

4 - Good programming here! Sounds very familiar. Is this one of those Chet Baker sides with some horns added to the quartet? But no, there's no guitar on those...

5 - This tune's a companion to Horace Silvers' "Soulville". Never heard this, I think, but I love the trombone here! Very nice that strolling passage. Very talkative solo. I guess I should be able to identify the trombonist, but I'm not at all sure. Fuller? Guess not, but all other coming up in my head sound even lass probable.

6 - I know this tune... What's it called? One of EKE's underrecorded stride pianists... ;) Nice one! New to me, not only this one, but all of stride piano. I merely scratched the surface so far.

7 - Uh, that screeching sound! Uses the same mute that couw's favourite screecher used all the time... :g Not sure if I like it that well. Guess I have to listen a few more times.

8 - Probably ought to recognize at least the musicians... Ammons & Stitt? I don't have any of their discs, except for "Leftbank Encores", but I do guess it's them, right?

And could someone please tell me the name of this tune? Not too fond of the organ here. Too stereotypical, clichéd playing. Tenors are great, though.

more to follow here, gotta run. I'm into Disc 2 yet, but no time now...

ubu

As no one has posted in the mean time, I continue with a new post:

9 & 10 - Both are again new to me. No need to guess, as I won't find out anyay.

10 - The pianist reminds me of couw's favourite moaner ;) A beautiful performance! I love this one! Montoliu? He can't be omitted from EKE's BFT, right?

11 - "Valse Hot" (Sonny Rollins). No idea who this is. Not exactly my favourite of the disc.

12 - HELLYEAH! This is more like it! Beautiful, just beautiful! Again, though, no idea...

Answers to Disc 2 in the other thread. Thanks again, Agustín!

ubu

Many thanks for yout package EKE BBB!

I've listened to Disc I about six times but will not be able to follow this as I would have liked. I will chew on this fully next week. I am completely confounded as I feel that I should know so much of what is included here. A whole lot of familiar sounds.

Just a couple of breif bits from my end.

1) ? Sweet!

2) This baby rocks!!! It is a standard but I'm confusing those bits of "Avalon" and "Jeanine" with what it really is. Electric bass?? The drummer is the man here!!! This one will get picked up immediately by the crew. :tup:tup

3) Another standard but "having a yabba dabba doo time" is getting in my way.

4) A Parker piece but no clue who's on.

5) A cut that's driven me crazy for a half a dozen spins. Gotta work on this one...

6) ? but it is "The Battle Hymn of The Republic". no?

7) ?

8) ?

9) ? Unfortunately I have no education in this. Something I need to address.

10) Has that Ibrahim Brand of Africana to it but it's way too light in the touch. A beautiful piece that just unfolds with that glorious right hand.

11) ?

12) Obviously thought Murray at first hit but then lean to Adams and Pullen but boy that just does not seem right in the end. Adams always seems to have more Shorter in his sound but then again I am not privy to his live pieces.

13) Nancy right off the bat. This is where my CDR starts to funk out. :(

14) Tuxedo Junction but no idea of the artist.

I love this BFT. Very appealing to all. I will save # II for a bit til I figure some more out here.