Blindfold Test #13: Disc 1, the "official BFT"

EKE BBB

Now that many of the participants have received the discs, and further discussion on Answers to BFT#12 is fading away, let´s keep this thing alive!

And let´s do it in two separate threads, to make browsing and searching easier: one for disc 1, the "oficial" Blindfold Test #13, and one for the Bonus Disc.

Hope y´all are enjoying them!

Discuss Disc 1 here!

B)

FYI: no real "theme" in any of the discs, just music! ;)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Wow. Extreme vocal virtuosity. The voice is lighter than Sassy, Ella, Betty or Carmen. Maybe Mary Stallings with Basie?

2. Hard Bop heaven. Haven't been able to pick anybody out. Lee Morgan??

3. Stan Getz and Johnny Smith?

4. Sounds like Brownie and Max, but where's this guitar coming from. Maybe it's Brownie's Paris sessions or something else without Max.

5. Donald Byrd and Paul Chambers?

6. Could this be a Fats Waller solo?.

7. Miles?

8. I first thought this might be Don Patterson with Booker Ervin and Sonny Stitt. The other possibility that crossed my mind was this. On relisten, the organ playing isn't particularly showy, it's just carrying a groove, Its gotta be the linked album.

9. Helen Humes?

10. Just like the other disk's track 10, this could be Keith Jarrett, but the vocalizations are not present. I don't know if Frank Kimbrough has recorded extended solo improvisations live, but I'll make him my guess.

11. Joe Henderson?

12. The horn voicings suggest Abdullah Ibrahim very strongly. A little more "out" than most of his work.

13. Anita O'Day with Cal Tjader?

14. Nice easy swing. I'll guess Count Basie for a third time and hope one of them is right.

Edited to switch the two disks to their correct forums.

Edited by randyhersom

OK, received the discs yesterday, but have just found time to listen to Disc 1 only today.

1) Obviously, a live female vocal of Duke's "Cottontail". Don't know who.

4) Recognized this famous trumpet player immediately. (Clue to one and all - that's two BFTs in a row he has appeared). This is track #4 (master take) on this.

6) live piano Tatum-esque solo of "Hallelujah"

8) "Lester Leaps In" Recognized these two tenors immediately although I do not have or know the album this is from. Anyway their identity I believe can be found here.

9) Bessie Smith? I'm not too keen on this period of jazz but it sure sounds like her.

11) "Valse Hot" but I don't know the tenor or trumpet player.

13) "Things We Did Last Summer". Don't have much of this vocalist but I'm pretty sure it is her.

14) "Tuxedo Junction". Very famous recording that is far superior to the Glenn Miller recording. Know this very well, because everytime I hear Miles' 1956 Prestige version of "The Theme" he quotes from the trumpeter's (Dud Bascomb) solo on this record. The bandleader can be found here.

OK, have to listen some more to ID further tracks and get to the Bonus Disc.

Looking now at Randy's answers and mine, I can only believe that one of our discs has been mislabeled. We are definitely listening to two different discs that are both labeled Disc 1. In fact as I now listened to the beginning of a couple of tracks that Randy has ID'd, those are definitely on what is labeled "Bonus Disc" for me.

Edited by MartyJazz

You´re right, Martyjazz.

Either I wrote the number of the discs wrongly on his discs, or Randy mistook the two threads.

Anyway, and for all, the Official Blindfold Test #13 (Disc 1) is the one with 14 tracks, and the Bonus Disc is the one with 11 tracks.

Edited by EKE BBB

Have started to listen to disc 1 of BFT 13 over the weekend. Excellent compilation which I enjoyed listening to. Will have to get back to it to identify several of the tracks.

Track 1. Could not trace that 'Cotton Tail', a very good choice but cannot recall having heard this version before.

Track 2. I have enjoyed that tune before (sounds like a familiar Duke Pearson composition) but failed to identify the specific version,

Track 3. I am very familiar with this tenor/sax combination but need more time to ascertain the proper album,

Track 4. No problem with that one for the obvious reasons. Track 4 from this album:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aoykqoayaiijb

Track 5. I don't have that album but I'm pretty sure the tune is from that album (probably track 2):

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A10zsa9wgy238

Track 6. The tune was familiar, I recognised that remarkable (and remarkably oscure) pianist. Track 14 from this album:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A62jqeal64xf7

Track 7. A blank on that track. A Miles Davis clone who plays like Miles did not want to play any longer decades ago.

Track 8. Great sax battle. I have enjoyed that album for years. Second tune from this session:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Ajlkvikkhbbc9

Track 9. This must be one of the sides included in this anthology (and in other compilations) but could not identify the exact one:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A8eanqj1uojja

Track 10. I'm pretty sure this is an iberic pianist but have not identified the album yet.

Track 11. The tune was familiar, Did not get the album which I heard and was not really impressed. Track 3 from that album

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Abx8ibkj9jakc

but the original version is so much better...

Track 12. same as for track 3. I'm very familiar with this but could not identify it exactly yet.

Track 13. Nice vocal. Not a great fan of the singer but that version is delightful. Opening track from this album:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Axev8b5p4bsqf

Track 14. That version is definitive. Number 20 from that classic:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Azv0e4j172way

I will identify several of the items (3 and 12 for sure) when I complete a search as soon as I have time.

Many thanks to EKE BBB for providing the music. Very nice job. Will also check on the 2nd disc.

I edited my guesses out here, as my discs seem to have been labeled correctly ... and Randy's are mislabeled, so I suggest Randy moves his post.

Thanks, Mike!

I hope that starting two separate threads don´t bring us more confussion instead of helping the browsing!

:mellow:

Edited by EKE BBB

this is a very nice set of disks, a lot of very recognisable stuff (tunes, players) that I have a hard time to pin down.

track 1. "Cotton Tail." This sounds rather modern. I have no idea who's singing here, nor who's playing. Big fun for starters.

track 2. absolutely certain I know the tune, associate it with Jackie Mac somehow. I'll have some sleepness nights and then it will come to me. And what's that quote the first tenor plays? It leaves the impression of a get together of the greats (is that Joe Henderson?).

Track 3. and another one I am certain I know, I probably even have this one. More later... (grmbl...)

Track 4. Sounds like Brownie. Not something I have, I think. The Vogue Paris sessions?

Track 5. sounds like J.J. Haven't got a real clue though. nice tune, nice playing, nice. The trumpet rings some familiar bells as well.

Track 6. pretty piano, and pretty old stuff is my guess. Not my strength, but very enjoyable and nicely whack with the complete mess up of the mood half way through. if I could only name that classical tune he plays with, very nice.

Track 7. guess what? couw is not impressed by this Miles Davis wannabe. ;)

Track 8. Lester Leaps In, battle of some saxes, how many are there? four? I think I recognise raw & raspy Lockjaw Davis, but his hard and fast pal Griffin seems not to be present (?).

Track 9. very nice, no clue though. couw is not very good at this ancient stuff. enjoys it nonetheless.

Track 10. solo piano that gets a bit too romantically cute at times for my tastes. I would wager a guess that we're listening to Montoliu here, he needs to be on here somewhere.

Track 11. familiar tune (again), this time the first tune on a classic album, so that helps. A little AMG search brings me to the album this is taken from and I see there are 5 tenors involved. The task will be to pin them down I guess...

Track 12. argh, another one I know and cannot put my finger on. damn you Agustín!

Track 13. Love this singer. I hope that feeling is mutual.

Track 14. more ancient stuff, more very nice, more no clue...

This one will keep me on my toes for some time yet as I am sure there are some tracks that just need that little "click" upstairs in couw's head. I am just gonna post this now though and hope someone has already done the honours and will releave me of this pain.

Thanks for a very nice BFT Mr. A.P.G.

Track 11. familiar tune (again), this time the first tune on a classic album, so that helps. A little AMG search brings me to the album this is taken from and I see there are 5 tenors involved. The task will be to pin them down I guess...

Couw, the brother of the trumpet player that irritates so much so many people around here is the player on that tune.

He is more interesting than his brother but his solo falls well beyond the composer's one on the original session.

Couw, the brother of the trumpet player that irritates so much so many people around here is the player on that tune.

He is more interesting than his brother but his solo falls well beyond the composer's one on the original session.

hey cool, never bothered to check him out I'm afraid. Nice to hear him here.

BTW, how come you don't have the answers to the real "mind-messers" like 2, 3, and 12? ^_^

BTW, how come you don't have the answers to the real "mind-messers" like 2, 3, and 12?  ^_^

Have to leave some fun to the other participants B)

you call that fun?! I've been eating myself over these tracks :rmad:

Sure, it's fun. And you get a jazz education at the same time.

Better listen to that BFT 13 rather than your Alfons Wonneberg stoopid music.

One should stay away from any musician going by the name of Alfons :lol:

BTW, how come you don't have the answers to the real "mind-messers" like 2, 3, and 12?  ^_^

Have to leave some fun to the other participants B)

you call that fun?! I've been eating myself over these tracks :rmad:

Sure, it's fun. And you get a jazz education at the same time.

Better listen to that BFT 13 rather than your Alfons Wonneberg stoopid music.

One should stay away from any musician going by the name of Alfons :lol:

hey, Wonneberg is jazz education par excellence, looking over the edge of the plate and all that jazz. Does that Alfons rule also apply to Alphonso "Dizzy" Reece?

Track 1: HAFC™, which is okay since DKDC™! Honestly, I’ve never liked the vocalese words to this song, and somebody else singin’ ‘em isn’t gonna change that!

Track 2: Sounds like Joe Henderson on tenor, Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, and Elvin Jones on drums. If this is another attempt by the BFT compilers to get folks to purchase the Elvin Jones Mosaic by including a track from it on every BFT, well I’m gonna…. I’m gonna… oooh, you guys are making it VERY difficult to keep from purchasing it! Bastards! :g:lol:

Track 3: Sounds like Johnny Smith with Stan Getz.

Track 4: Sounds kinda West Coast. Maybe Clifford Brown on trumpet, Joe Mondragon on guitar (don’t ask; it was the first name that popped to mind. I’ve only heard his name, never heard anything by him). I should know that alto player, but I’m coming up blank.

Track 5: J.J. Johnson? Nah, can’t be. The electric piano threw me. Mid-70’s Woody Shaw?

Track 6: Sounds like Art Tatum playing “On the Road to Montezuma!” Don’t know what’s being played for the slow intro, but when the boogie-woogie starts, it catches fire! I was riding my bike while listening to this, and I fully took off when this section started! WHEEEEEEEE!

Track 7: At the risk of being wrong, and therefore being ridiculed for such a narrow scope of listening, I’m gonna guess Miles. For me, no one gets the same kind of sound with a mute like Miles. Don’t know who’s backing him, though, or what the song is. So, EKE BBB, if this isn’t Miles but you put it on here in order to fool some of us into thinking that it was, well it worked on me!

Track 8: Oh my LAWD this be greeeeeeazy! The tune sounds familiar, as do the players. Arnett Cobb & Lockjaw Davis perhaps? Basie on the organ?

Track 9: Billie Holiday with Benny Goodman?

Track 10: HAFC™. I gotta tellya, though: there were a couple moments it sounded like George Winston. HEY! Quit laughin’! IMHO, he’s the John Fahey of the piano!

Track 11: Freddie Hubbard on trumpet? HAFC™ about anyone else.

Track 12: Ahhhhhh, I’ve heard this before! But when? Where? Sounds like Jackie McLean, though.

Track 13: More vocals. HAFC™, which doesn’t matter since DKDC™!

Track 14: Tuxedo Junction? It ain’t Glenn Miller, that’s for sure!

I tell ya, as these BFT’s progress, I’m getting more and more worried that when it comes to my turn, it’s gonna be SUCH a colossal letdown, it’s gonna be one long DKDC™ & HAFC™!!!

Seriously, this is a great GREAT disc! Aside from the two vocal tracks which I didn’t care for, this is yet ANOTHER mighty fine BFT!

Alphonso is OK. Alfons is BAD!

tell that to all the people who study with mister Wonneberg... ;) He's a genyooine professor now at the Hanns Eisler School for Music in Berlin. Teaches ensemble/arrangement and history.

Nothing against Alfons (it's better than Adolf) but it just is not a jazz name.

Now Alphonse is cool (long live Picou wherever he may be!)

And besides the "brother of the trumpet player that irritates so much so many people around here" there´s ANOTHER saxophonist on this track, who plays the second solo. This second saxophonist has only made (AFAIK) two records as a leader but EVERYBODY at THIS FORUM should have HEARD him (note I don´t say "heard of him" ;) )

Guess why?

B)

Just got this this morning, so jumping in a bit late--didn't peek at any answers.

1. “Cottontail”. Some Oscar Peterson mannerisms in the piano at the start but it’s much more tentative than Oscar. Urk, I don’t like the timbre of the singer’s voice. & the scat singing.... as garish as usual for this style. The sax, hm is it actually an old guy or a young guy imitating Hawkins, Webster, &c (James Carter?). The advent of the big band surprised me, I’d assumed this was a small group. I don’t know, maybe one of those Lincoln Center Ellington recordings. Whatever it is, I hated this.

2. From the opening notes I already think I should know these players, esp. the drummer. Oh, Elvin! The tune sounds familiar but I can’t place it. Joe Henderson on sax, & oh right, he’s the composer, what’s the name of the tune? Hate the sound on the bass, & in general this isn’t sonically very pleasing. The trumpeter’s name isn’t coming to me. The second tenor I’m not sure about – I’d actually at first assumed it was a 2nd solo helping from Joe but there’s obviously two tenors in the ensembles. Despite the obviously first-rate lineup, I didn’t like this track very much.

3. The sax is perhaps Ted Brown: not assured enough for Marsh surely? This has an odd Tristano-goes-to-the-West Coast vibe. No idea on the guitarist. The poor pianist is lost in the mix! S’ok, not all that good.

4. First thought is 1950s Chet. Hm, I’m not sure I know this saxophonist: interesting tone, a little thicker than usual for Parker disciples. Nah, the trumpeter can’t be Chet, but he does sound darn familiar. The relentlessly bouncy rhythm section feel is starting to get to me by the end. Again, has something of a West-Coast feel for me due to the chunking, cheery piano comping. It’s an all right track. The player I’m curious about is the saxophonist.

5. Nice to have the compilation cooling off a bit – too many fast ones for me so far. Nice trombone solo; the bass solo is good but does less for me. I’m not sure I know the trumpeter – probably a younger guy who’s got the 1960s Blue Note trumpeters under his fingers. An OK track without quite doing it for me.

6. I like the after-hours sound quality! What’s the tune? Oh, right, “Hallelujah”, an Art Tatum fave. This track has buckets of atmosphere unlike the previous tracks – a nice feel. Hm, I’m puzzled: so much here says “Tatum” & yet surely Tatum would be a little more hyperactive? There’s not a single one of his “breaks”, those runs that interrupt the steady rhythm & careen around the keyboard. & there’s a bit around 4:00 which is definitely NOT Tatum. I’ve really no idea who this is but it’s the first track I like a lot.

7. Much louder track than the last one: a rush to turn it down. Milesish trumpet, maybe Enrico Rava? I always thought of him as a slightly tougher customer than this, though. What’s the tune? I think my memory’s going to pot. This is very pretty but cloying. I’d wager this is an ECM disc: maybe Rava’s new one Easy Living?

8. Oh, I have this track, it’s a “very” good album indeed!

9. Oh I’m hopeless with early jazz but I liked the track.

10. Pretty, tremulous opening that tickles the ear. I wonder where it’s going. Hm, this one keeps my interest without really strongly grabbing me: it stays “light” when I expected it to get a little heavier, & that’s OK. No strong reaction to it really, & I don’t know who it is. This is just too loooong.

11. “Valse Hot”. The free time passage after the head takes me by surprise. I don’t know who any of these players are. Wasn’t hooking in by the 1st tenor solo, got a little more interested by the time of the 2nd tenor solo (both in the solo & the rhythm section’s shading-in of the background). No idea who any of these guys are. This is all right.

12. David Murray. Ugh, I do NOT like this track. It may be deliberately messy but it’s nonetheless messy. No idea who the other players are. Dave Burrell on piano?

13. Um, is this really the best rhythm section & material for this singer?

14. Ah, this is more like it. A bit puzzled: isn’t that Hodges on the alto? but this surely isn’t Ellington? But, hm, sounds like maybe Jimmy Hamilton on the clarinet. I guess it is the Ellington band??? This is a bit uneven as a track – a really dull chart, in particular – but I liked it moderately anyway.