Blindfold Test #13: Disc 1, the "official BFT"

EKE BBB

Thanks, Agustín, I've really enjoyed both cds. :tup

(1) The tune is 'Cotton Tail', but I've got no idea who the vocalist or the group is.

(2) Don't know the tune, I think I hear Joe Henderson.

(3) Is the sax Stan Getz? Probably not. ^_^

(4) I want to say I hear Clifford Brown, but I don't hear Land or Rollins, so I've got no idea what this could be.

(5) I suppose this could be be Curtis Fuller, maybe J.J. Johnson. Either way, I don't know the tune, but I did dig the bone.

(6) Solo piano, hmmmmm......, :unsure: I'm hearing several possibilities. Tatum? Hines? Maybe Duke messing around, probably not. Towards the end I thought I heard a little of the Basie. Oh what the hell am I saying, could it be? Anyways, I really enjoyed this track, very pleasing.

(7) That could be Miles, then again, it may not be. ;)

(8) 'Lester Leaps In'! The organ throws me off, but I think I'm hearing Hawk! The others.......,Arnett Cobb.....???

(9) Vocalist unknown to me.

(10) Another beautiful piano piece. :tup I look forward to finding out who the player is.

(11) Crap! Is Joe Henderson making another appearance on this BFT? Or, do I have this or the other guess wrong? :blink:

(12) No idea

(13) That's not Dinah Washington???? I definitely need to get more familiar with the singers.

(14) 'Tuxedo Junction'! Doe not sound like Glenn Miller, so that leads me to believe it is Erskine Hawkins. I could be wrong, but I'd like to think I'm at least right on this one. B)

Edited by catesta

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I’m driving around at lunchtime, listening to this disc, and track 7 starts. At some point, the drummer does something with the hi-hat that sounds like something Billy Higgins would’ve done. The moment I thought of that, this album popped into my mind. It’s been ages since I’ve listened to this album; as such, I don’t know exactly which track it is (or if I’ve even nailed the right album). But this is my new and improved guess. If I’m right, I will truly feel like I’ve graduated to the next level of jazz wisdom! :g

Sorry I'm later than usual (but then again, what few guesses I offer are usually crap anyway), I have to say this is one very fine BFT. Only #12 rated a DKDC, the rest were varied from really nice to at least listenable.

#1-liked everything except the vocalist.

#2-the blend on the opening made me think "west coast" but the solos weren't as mellow as I expected.

#3-no guesses still, though I was thinking its definitely a '50s recording.

#4-I'll say Clifford.

#5-liked this a lot, sounds like JJ to me. Probably my favorite track overall.

#6-not a big stride fan, so no clue.

#7-a Miles wannabe. I hate to admit that I liked it, cause it was way too close for comfort. If Sangrey has problems with Eric Alexander for his taking from George Coleman, well, this guy's far worse, IMO.

#8 - Really dug this a lot, Griiff? Jacquet?

#9 - #14, no guesses, some I dug, some not so much

Thanks again though for a fine comp.!

#4-I'll say Clifford.

And what could it be, with guitar?

Not what concerns me. I'm sure others have made IDs on that track, but I'm not one to go searching for the answers or puzzling things out. Not what I do the BFTs for, sorry! I try to identify leaders or tunes and leave it at that.

#4-I'll say Clifford.

And what could it be, with guitar?

Not what concerns me. I'm sure others have made IDs on that track, but I'm not one to go searching for the answers or puzzling things out. Not what I do the BFTs for, sorry! I try to identify leaders or tunes and leave it at that.

I just wondered, as Clifford has been one that came to my mind, too, but then I couldn't think of anything fitting!

ubu

Track 4. No problem with that one for the obvious reasons. Track 4 from this album:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aoykqoayaiijb

:w

I was totally sure you´d nail this one! ;)

This is the answer, Dan!

(And please don't ask where EKE go that disc from :winky: Welcome to mikeweil's bft rules again...)

ubu (going undercover)

Track 4. No problem with that one for the obvious reasons. Track 4 from this album:

This is the answer, Dan!

(And please don't ask where EKE go that disc from :winky: Welcome to mikeweil's bft rules again...)

ubu (going undercover)

Noooooooope! Remember, volumes 1 & 3.... ;)

This is the answer, Dan!

ubu (going undercover)

Noooooooope! Remember, volumes 1 & 3.... ;)

No matter what volumes! I know you have them all, so I could have figured out :wacko:

Track 7

Miles?...

Miles wannabe?...

Miles clone?...

Milesish trumpet (Enrico Rava)?...

Some did like "X", some hated "X"....

This track´s a "miles-tone" in this BFT... :D

...and has a miles´ tone as well ... :g

Edited by EKE BBB

So, finally, my guesses for Disc 1, without peeking at the previous posts, off the top of my head.

# 1 - Cotton Tail - I find the singer is a little over the top, although she uses some mannerisms just like favourite New York singer (I'll have to ask her about this). Duke's orginal is impossible to top for me. No idea who it is, but a trifle too sloppy for my taste - on the original everything is in the right place. The spot for the baritone is much too short!

# 2 - If that is not Elvin ..... the tenor sounds almost too much like Joe Henderson, but that ain't Joe - young Javon Jackson? Don't like the intonation on the head, but the trumpeter's solo is nice. That bass theme sounds like something I have heard one of Elvin's bands play.

#3 - Jimmy Raney and Bobby Jaspar? - 'cause that ain't Stan here.

# 4 - Have heard that one, too, or at least that theme - some cool boppish variations over the changes of "All the things you are". Sounds almost like one of those mid-fifties Prestige dates to me - Kenny Burrell? Very sweet guitar solo! Alto sounds familiar, but who is it? Al Haig or one of those bepoppers?

# 5 - Ron Carter. Freddie Hubbard. I'm not too good at identifying JayJay-derived tombonists. No idea who's the leader here or whose band it is.

# 6 - Definitely some pre-1940's player. Excellent - nice idea to start it in the slow tempo. I probably know this player - but ....

# 7 Miles. Or not? There was a phrase at the beginning I never heard from Miles, but from Eddie Henderson! Almost too Miles-ish ... I smell a trap here! Not Miles - he plays in Miles' spirit, but is technically more assured.

# 8 - Lester does not leap in here, but four great Hawkanians ... (AMG link) This is one of the greatest tenor battle albums ever made! Contrary to the AMG entry, this is available on CD.

# 9 - Very nice, good singer, excellent remastering. Would like to know who.

# 10 - Some classical piano technique involved here ... Wish he/she would take his time a little more. Very playful, but a little to restless for my taste. That he plays the tresillo figure in the left hand almost like a triplet is common among jazz players, but I like it better when played straight. Corea/Burton type theme, but otherwise IHAFC. Too long - he's out of ideas after five minutes.

# 11 - "Valse Hot". The horns play that theme very cool and precisely, but the drummer is much too loose for me here. If they want to play that freely, they should write their own tunes. Not something I'd buy, although they're all good players. Just not my cup of tea. I'd like to hear them in a more straighahead context.

# 12 - Some South African cats? That's more like it ... Wouldn't buy this either, but it conivinces me more.

# 13 The opening phrase was enough:

this album. Nice album, although she's not among my top tem favourite singers.

# 14 What a nice and unexpected closer! Great tune by an underrated band: Track 15 on this CD - there are many other issues.

That was FUN!!! Muchas gracias otra vez!

Track 11. familiar tune (again), this time the first tune on a classic album, so that helps. A little AMG search brings me to the album this is taken from and I see there are 5 tenors involved. The task will be to pin them down I guess...

Couw, the brother of the trumpet player that irritates so much so many people around here is the player on that tune.

He is more interesting than his brother but his solo falls well beyond the composer's one on the original session.

And besides the "brother of the trumpet player that irritates so much so many people around here" there´s ANOTHER saxophonist on this track, who plays the second solo. This second saxophonist has only made (AFAIK) two records as a leader but EVERYBODY at THIS FORUM should have HEARD him (note I don´t say "heard of him" ;) )

Guess why?

B)

It's a shame they didn't print his name on the cover alongside the others!

I can't tell how many times I have kicked myself for not buying these as long as they were around!!! :rmad: And this Jimmy Gourley is a player I always like when I hear him!

Edited by mikeweil

# 11 - "Valse Hot". The horns play that theme very cool and precisely, but the drummer is much too loose for me here. If they want to play that freely, they should write their own tunes. Not something I'd buy, although they're all good players. Just not my cup of tea. I'd like to hear them in a more straighahead context.

These BFTs are an excellent opportunity to re-evaluate some discs in my collection: I have that one (Golden Rule # 1 applies here ;) ), but listened to it only once or twice, have it spinning as I write this, but "Valse Hot" is the one track I like the least. They all play nice solos, but on the whole it seems so derivative ...

# 5 - Ron Carter. Freddie Hubbard. I'm not too good at identifying JayJay-derived tombonists. No idea who's the leader here or whose band it is.

(5) Again, an immediate recognition. This was the leader's 'comeback' studio album.. This one..

Follow the original link posted by sidewinder, mike! ^_^

Edited by EKE BBB

I did - at least I recognized Ron Carter. Usually I get Brashear, too, never heard him play so many Freddie-isms. I thought of Jay Jay, but at the same thought it was too obvious ....

I must recognize I had never heard Oscar Brashear before until I picked this CD. He plays several good solos through the disc.

Recommendations?

I can't tell how many times I have kicked myself for not buying these as long as they were around!!! :rmad: And this Jimmy Gourley is a player I always like when I hear him!

I can offer help! That would be a nice possibility to make good me not recognising this track... Drop me a line! (Some volumes might be around in stores here, but I couldn't guarantee anything. Should I look around? Prize would be around 23 Swiss Franks per volume)

ubu

I can offer help! That would be a nice possibility to make good me not recognising this track... Drop me a line! (Some volumes might be around in stores here, but I couldn't guarantee anything. Should I look around? Prize would be around 23 Swiss Franks per volume)

ubu

I was sure I could rely on some royal help ... :tup:g

In this case I would prefer the three Vogue discs to the OJC reissues. If you find any, go ahead!

I must recognize I had never heard Oscar Brashear before until I picked this CD. He plays several good solos through the disc.

Recommendations?

Brashear's first major gig was in the trumpet section of the 1970's Basie orchestra. He was a member of Bobby Hutcherson's group in that decade, and can be heard on some of Bobby's Prestige LPs of the time, maybe also on the Bayété LPs. There are a few Black Jazz sessions he solos on with his trademark fiery tone, e.g. Henry Franklin's "The Skipper" and "The Skipper At Home", where he plays good solos. After that he did mostly section work in Hollywood studios, with an occasional fiery solo; one is on Joe Henderson's funky "Black Miracle" album on Milestone/OJC.

ubu

I was sure I could rely on some royal help ... :tup:g

In this case I would prefer the three Vogue discs to the OJC reissues. If you find any, go ahead!

It's the Vogues I'm talking about. I will see. Hope they still have some!

ubu

Recommendations?

Brashear's first major gig was in the trumpet section of the 1970's Basie orchestra. He was a member of Bobby Hutcherson's group in that decade, and can be heard on some of Bobby's Prestige LPs of the time, maybe also on the Bayété LPs. There are a few Black Jazz sessions he solos on with his trademark fiery tone, e.g. Henry Franklin's "The Skipper" and "The Skipper At Home", where he plays good solos. After that he did mostly section work in Hollywood studios, with an occasional fiery solo; one is on Joe Henderson's funky "Black Miracle" album on Milestone/OJC.

Brashear is also on the Blue Note album by Bobby Hutcherson 'Inner Glow' that was originally released in Japan. Brashear is heard on that one along Thurman Green on trombone, Harold Land, pianist Dwight Dickerson, Kent Brinkley on bass and Larry Hancock on drums.