Tal Farlow Mosaic

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be shipping because Mosaic advised it has charged my credit card. Really looking forward to this one.

Let us know what set number you get. Curious: what's the lowest set number anyone has got from Mosaic? I've never bought a set upon issuance. Who gets set #1?

I think that the midline Verve CD, "The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow", might be a great place to start if you want to get a feel for the music on the Mosaic set. (I would also recommend "The Tal Farlow Album", "Autumn In New York", "The Interpretations of Tal Farlow", "Tal" and "This Is Tal Farlow", but each of them should cost more than the aforementioned disc.) Alternatively, I suppose that you could get the Verve compilation disc, "Tal Farlow's Finest Hour".

There are also some fine non-Verve Farlow albums, but I do not think that the music thereon would prove as representative of the music contained in the Mosaic.

Let us know what set number you get. Curious: what's the lowest set number anyone has got from Mosaic? I've never bought a set upon issuance. Who gets set #1?

Recieved mine tonight, #25. I think this is the lowest number that I have ever gotten. It will also be the first jazz that I'll be listening to in quite awhile.

Curious:  what's the lowest set number anyone has got from Mosaic?  I've never bought a set upon issuance.  Who gets set #1?

What about the review copies? Or would they be unnumbered? You would think there would be 20 or 25 copies sent out to the various jazz "publications" (I use the term loosely) for review. I've always been curious about how Mosaic handles those.

Hopefully, mine will reach SoCal today. I pre-ordered this set purely on reputation alone. I have no Farlow music in my collection, but the line-ups looked so interesting, and I have such a paucity of guitar based jazz in my collection, that I felt I needed this set. No one has any comments on the music so far?

Matthew, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the music in the least. I have nearly all this material on other releases. It's wonderful music played by master musicians for the most part. Farlow's technical virtuosity can be astonishing, but it's not on at 11 all the time for showing off, he has real heart and soul in his music. The matereial with Costa on board may be my favorite, but there is plenty of swinging and lyrical jazz there to explore.

I'm the real 42..seriously.  But, the Farlow is No. 224-what is 223?  Eldridge is 222.

Interesting observation

[The Phantom Mosaic

Was the Herman scheduled before the Farlow.. then held back?

I'm sure someone will email Mosaic and demand an answer

Edited by P.D.

For those interested in such things.. Just picked up the Farlow at my PO box

EEgad!!!!!!!!!! The book is not numbered.

I have a blank

Can I assign any number I wish?

Should I designate it #1

Are Mosaic passing off a promo copy?

Does this error greatly enhance the value of my set?

Should I worry or just enjoy the music?

For those interested in such things.. Just picked up the Farlow at my PO box

EEgad!!!!!!!!!! The book is not numbered.

I have a blank

Can I assign any number I wish?

Should I designate it #1

That happened to me with my Blue Mitchell.

Check your receipt. It'll have a number. ;)