Feb/Mar 2005 US RVGs

Kevin Bresnahan

I was told these are locked in and since they have catalog numbers, I assume this is true. However, usual disclaimers apply: titles may change between now and release date. Stuff happens. Looking at the catalog numbers, I'd guess that the dates may shift around.

Kevin

February 2005

Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul 07243 864472 2 7

Tina Brooks - True Blue 07243 864473 2 6

Art Blakey - A Night In Tunisia 07243 864474 2 5

Johnny Coles - Little Johnny C 07243 864475 2 4

Hank Mobley - Hi Voltage 07243 864476 2 3

Pete La Roca - Basra 07243 864477 2 2

March 2005

Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer 07243 864467 2 5

Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child 07243 864468 2 4

Sonny Clark - Dial S For Sonny 07243 864469 2 3

Art Blakey - Like Someone In Love 07243 864470 2 9

Grant Green - Feelin' The Spirit 07243 864471 2 8

Horace Silver - And The Jazz Messengers 07243 864478 2 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah I love computer calendars. What do you say if I pencil you down for Tuesday the 8th in Feb. & March for now. :) If I'm early that might end up being the pre-order date anyway.

I'm so pleased to see True Blue in the bunch. It's especially nice for us youngish types (make that young-to-jazz ;) ) as it's a hard one to find. I believe you had mentioned in other posts that it would be RVG'd, but confirmation is a very good thing!

I like this policy of a-Blakey-in-each-batch they seem to have instituted.

Thrilled to see "Speak Like a Child" in there. The alternate takes from this session are pretty signifnicant. One of them has a lenghy solo-piano interlude that is radically different than the master take (the master doesn't have a solo-piano part at all), and is well worth the price of admission alone.

I've got the Herbie BN box, but plan to probably pick up "Speak Like a Child" as a single, if only because it's just about my all-time favorite Herbie disc. :wub:

:tup:tup:tup

Thanks Kevin,

This is a good list (I have them all, but may upgrade a couple)! Having said that, here's two observations:

1.) Never, never, EVER believe Blue Note when they throw around terms like "Limited Edition", or "Collector's Choice", or "Connoisseur's Series". Eventually, all titles will get reissued again (and again, and again)... Look at how many CC's and Conn's have been released in the past few RVG batches, even though they were initially "limited edition, and once they are sold out, they are gone!". For the record, I'm absolutely ecstatic that these titles are being reissued again for the next generation of jazz fans (or those who missed them the first time around)... but "Limited Edition"? My ass!

2.) Where on earth are the RVG's of Back at the Chicken Shack and Midnight Special??? These are absolute CLASSICS, and should've been upgraded in some of the first RVG's ever put out! It's about time that Horace Silver & the Jazz Messengers is finally seing the RVG light of day.

All in all, though, this is a good list!!!

Cheers,

Shane

I bet these are redone, and not the same as the JRVGs. Just my hunchometer pegging on that, no specific information.

Cool. I'm happy with both lists. (I have the JRVG of The Gigolo so don't need to be in a hurry!) ^_^

Maybe a bit of both. It would be a pity to redo Basra! Also very recent titles in the current (J)RVG sound (such as Hi Voltage and Like Someone in Love) will surely not need redoing.

I must've told the guys at Blue Note 20 times that they do not need to remaster "Basra". All they have to do is get Rudy's digital master from Japan. For everyone's sake, I hope they listened. I know Michael Cuscuna went ahead and got a copy of the JRVG just to hear it after I insisted. Maybe that did it?

Kevin

Good list. FEELIN THE SPIRIT is definitely way overdue for a remaster, as is the Horace Silver. I will grab the others too although I have them in pretty good sounding formats already. Hey, JRVGs sound pretty good, but I got tired of shelling out the money for them a long time ago. Bring on the U.S. versions, which I generally have found sound superior anyway - plus I'm not a huge fan of mini-LP sleeves.

I've got the Herbie BN box, but plan to probably pick up "Speak Like a Child" as a single, if only because it's just about my all-time favorite Herbie disc. :wub:

:tup:tup:tup

Couldn't agree more with Rooster. I think Speak Like a Child is one of Herbie's best. I look forward to the extra tracks. What a great list. I already have most of these in one form or another but all of these titiles live up to the RVG moniker. IMHO

I must've told the guys at Blue Note 20 times that they do not need to remaster "Basra". All they have to do is get Rudy's digital master from Japan. For everyone's sake, I hope they listened. I know Michael Cuscuna went ahead and got a copy of the JRVG just to hear it after I insisted. Maybe that did it?

Kevin

You mean he doesn't get all of them, automatically? :blink:;)

Hell, he probably doesn't even collect cds/lps. When he wants to hear a session, he probably just goes and listens to the master tape...

<_< B) ^_^

Hell, he probably doesn't even collect cds/lps.  When he wants to hear a session, he probably just goes and listens to the master tape...

The master tapes are stored in California, not NY. Any "master tape" listening Michael Cuscuna does is on CD-R or DAT from the remastering engineer's bench.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan