Woody Herman Mosaic (Capitol)

On the other hand, vague but fond memories of the Third Herd's version of Horace's "Opus de Funk" (from the "Road Band" album) are still nuding my hand toward the "order" button.

Yes, it's wonderful--just played it on the radio about two or three months ago.

My liking for Ralph Burns was what pushed me over the edge on picking up this set, and I didn't regret it. I don't mind Woody's vocals, but I do skip over the Dixieland stuff.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While going thru the Disconforme catalogue, I just noticed that they released a 2CD issue 'Woody Herman Complete Capitol 1948-1950' with all the material that Mosaic assembled on the first 2 CD of the Herman Capitol box except the final two tracks of disc 2 that were from a January 1955 session. That's on their Definitive label.

Bet that by 2006, the rest of the Mosaic Herman Capitol box material will be out on Definitive!

I've spent a couple of weeks with the Woody Herman Capitol Sessions. I've still not listened to the entire set. Yes, I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is another terrific Mosaic set. I'm glad to have discovered Woody Herman, via this set, but kind of sorry that it took me till now to learn of Herman's music.

There is a certain something about Herman's sound that, to me, sounds 'just right.' I enjoy other big bands but Herman has something special. When I think of what a big band should sound like, I can't describe my thoughts, specifically, but Herman's band is the closest to what my mind expects.

I was concerned about liking (or not liking) Herman's vocals. Like another post in this thread expressed, however, Woody Herman is a fine singer. Sort of modern and sort of old timey. Sort of jazzy, sort of swingy and a little bluesy. I'm reminded of the vocal styles of Donald Fagen and George Strait. I admit that a combination of Fagen and Strait seems odd. I'm thinking Woody Herman had enough influence on both Fagen and Strait that they might sound something like Herman. At the same time, though, Fagen and Strait have really nothing in common in the modern day. Woody Herman, Donald Fagen, and George Strait all sound, to me, kind of modern, kind of swingy, and kind of old timey.

The Woody Herman Capitol Mosaic offers a very nice mixture of instrumentals, vocals (male & female), swing, funk, and good times. The Dixieland selections are not the best but very far from the worst.

Edited by wesbed

• 5 months later...

This is going to be a tough decision. If I go for this, I'll have to postpone some things I really want--in particular, the Moncur, the Byrd/Adams and the new Columbia set. My listening interests have changed over time and I hardly listen to vocals at all..so, the % of music on this set I'd like is, judging from the discography, maybe half.

Ugh. Why couldn't the 4 freshmen have been next on the last chance list, or something I already have?

The lineup on these sides looks too good to miss. Touff, Kamuca, Perkins, Al Porcino, Bill Perkins and arrangements by Holman & co.; not an easy set to pass on.

I guess Mosaic are nearing the time limit on this set and don't want to order a new pressing, hence the leap-frogging to 'Last Chance. I wonder if we'll see quite a few sets of the circa-2000 vintage (Roach, Wilson, Stitt?) do that this year.

I too am having a difficulty deciding whether to get this set. It seems that I've heard 2 main groups of complaints about it: (1) that it contains many Herman vocal tracks that are less than good; and (2) that it contains many novelty non-jazz songs (including even rock tunes). I've just listened to some Herman vocal snippets on Tower.com, and I do not think those would bother me so much. I am very worried about the novelty tunes.

So, I have the following question for those of you who own the set. Roughly what percentage of the set would you classify as the non-jazz novelty tunes?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

while the kenton 43-47 set may have been a slower seller than others, that is it took a longer period of time for it to draw prices higher than the original retail, that has changed over the last six months. besides, something that might have effected that kenton set's resale value was that it was available through other on line sources and brick and mortar stores. put another way, supply outstripped demand for a longer period of time than other sets.

as an aside, I called mosaic yesterday and they had about 180-190 of the Herman sets left.

I have this set but am not completely wild about it and that's because of Woody's vocals. This has been oft discussed but I'm not a big fan of his singing. When it's instrumental this stuff is indeed great but there is a lot of vocals here so if you're not wild about his style of singing, I suggest you pass it up.

In rereading this thread from the beginning I'm puzzed by a comment of Chuck Ness way back in summer of last year. If you're around, could you please tell me what you find to be racist about Woody Herman's vocals.I'm completely puzzled.

I'm pretty sure he was just referring to the lyrics of some of the songs that they sang. They are, shall we say, "of their time." The "darkies" etc.

I just finished listening to the entire box set (@ work) and it actually plays better the more I listen to it. There seem to be less vocals the further on you get into the set, and some of the instrumental tracks on the last couple of discs are smokin'. Most of the vocals are ok and plenty are enjoyable- Herman's and the chick singers. The Glenn Miller-type chorus vocals on a few tracks I can live without. I skipped maybe half-a-dozen tracks, which is mighty fine ratio.

I just pulled the trigger on this set. At first some of the comments about the vocals scared me off, but then I remembered ---- I like vocals! :excited:

Heck, I even have the 4 Freshmen set and I'm not ashamed to say I enjoy it. (in moderation)

::ducking::

For those who aren't sure, allmusic has sound clips of all the songs.

One of these days I'll be so rich that I'll buy the mosaics as they're announced, not when they get on the last chance page ;)

As I posted earlier in this same thread, I believe Herman's vocals to be quite good. At times, very, very good. Woody Herman, at different moments, reminds me of a mixture of Donald Fagen and George Strait. Yeah, a strange combination but it works good magic on my ears.

With the exception of a few Dixieland tracks, I have no complaint with the vocals on the Wood Herman Capitol box. I enjoy the vocals much more often that not. Even the Dixieland tracks aren't 'bad.'

You know, mister, I do like those jazz vocals. :tup

Edited by wesbed