The Arrangers

Late

How about Gunther Schuller? Haven't heard much of his work, but some of the stuff on that strange Lovano third stream disc is GREAT! And he's the man who did Mingus' "Epitaph", too, so he can't be too bad.

Also in the liners of the Miles/Gil box, there's a quote about George Avakian proposing two arrangers to do what would turn out to be "Miles Ahead" - Gil Evans or Gunther Schuller.

ubu

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still need to check out Farnon, Phil. I keep hearing words of the highest praise from too many people I respect to let him go unexplored too much longer!

JS:

Approach Farnon a bit differently that as a "pure" jazz arranger ..what Bob has done has covered a very wide span through his 86 years ( and he's just finished his 3rd Symphony :excited: )

What Bob is is simply the finest arranger of pop orchestral music in the world ..He's been "stolen " from by all of the best: John Mandel, John Williams, Marion Evans, Torrie Zito, Ogermann, Pat Williams, Morton Stevens, Sandy Courage,plus many many more ( including my self )

NO ONE writes for strings like Farnon ..we all stole from him ..and yes, he can write jazz as well:

( check out TANGENCE w/ J.J. Johnson if you can find it )

For more info, google the Robert Farnon Society for lots of info, recordings , and news !!

Edited by SGUD missile

I was talking to a local musician and arranger at a record shop here about a year ago, and he started in on Holman's Monk charts and more recent work, and he told me that on one of Holman's charts (and now of course I can't remember which one) there was a chord that used 11 pitches, with only Bb left out — which meant, octave aside, that every tempered pitch in the chromatic scale was used. I would like to hear that!

Missile — that's a lot of names! Care to share any representative albums? Always good to keep an eye out for recommended stuff.

A few of my favorites- IN ADDITION to most others listed!

Clare Fischer

Thad Jones

Gordon Goodwin

Billy May

Maria Schneider

BOB FLORENCE!!!!

Oliver Nelson

Bob Brookmeyer

Marty Paich

Neal Hefti

Bill Holman

Gerald Wilson

Nelson Riddle

^_^

I have just started on the road to (big band) arranging myself - In past year I have completed 2 big band arrangements ("Here's that Rainy Day" & "Easy Living") 3 combo charts ("Witchcraft," "Night has 1000 Eyes," and "Have You Met Miss Jones"). Have also completed 1 original big band chart and have started another. Have got to say - no other musical thrill greater for me than to write JAZZ for 17-18 players/groups/families of instruments- solis/tuttis, etc. Really a unique "high"!!!

Edited by LarryCurleyMoe

I have just started on the road to (big band) arranging myself - In past year I have completed 2 big band arrangements ("Here's that Rainy Day" & "Easy Living") 3 combo charts ("Witchcraft," "Night has 1000 Eyes," and "Have You Met Miss Jones"). Have also completed 1 original big band chart and have started another. Have got to say - no other musical thrill greater for me than to write JAZZ for 17-18 players/groups/families of instruments- solis/tuttis, etc. Really a unique "high"!!!

Good luck with your endeavors! There is no thrill like hearing a big group of musicians play your stuff back atyou the first time!

That's one of the main reasons that after almost 40 years as a writer in thecommercial TV/ film business ..I took up writing big band stuff again as a "retiremnt " project ..a hobby actually :g

and also why I recorded ( and paid for ) a CD as well!!

as long as there are guys like you that get enjoyment out of the process, the medium will never die, IMO :w:w

phil kelly

www.philkellymusic.com

Thanks Phil!

...Arranging also causes me to have a greater respect for all the folks who are listed in this thread - all those who produced wonderful jazz for large ensembles (and who took the risk associated with maintaing a career centered around this kind of musical activity). It's so cool that cats like Gerald Wilson are still inking charts!!!! Arranging jazz music for big band also opens my ears and brain while listening to bands live or recorded...orchestration by Thad, for example, is quite different than that of Billy May - plus voicings of chords, upper chord extensions, doublings, the use of rhythm, melody, line...all make a difference! Above all, I find clarity of thought and appropriately economical use of music material are traits of the truly great composers/arrangers - easy to say, more difficult to practice! <_<

Publication of my efforts does serve as some incentive...UNC Jazz Press is considering now...important to me that the music doesn't lie dormant!

Good luck with your writing as well! If you're like me, you'll always have a chart "in progress" no matter what else you may be into at the time...you're right - it would make a cool "hobby" too! :g

• 3 years later...

Would you consider John Carisi an "arranger"?

The RCA/Bluebird compact disc "The Arrangers" is fantastic, featuring compositions and arrangements by Gil Evans, George Russell, Carisi, and Rod Levitt. Was any of that music out originally on vinyl? I'd like to see the LP cover art if so ...

These days I'm more interested in arrangers than individual instrumentalists. Among my favorites - and I know I'm leaving out some:

Andre Hodeir

Ellington/Strahhorn

Chico O'Farrill

Lalo Schifrin

Pete Rugolo

Oliver Nelson

The guys known as Quincy Jones

Gerald Wilson

Michel Legrand

Les Baxter

Henry Mancini

Neal Hefti

Clare Fischer

Don Sebeskey

Claus Ogerman

Deodato

the best large group writing of the last 20 years was the big band recording Julius Hemphill made for Nonesuch -

this is not a matter of opinion but of absolute fact -

if you don't agree please don't post, as this is now MY thread -

moderators, please delete all opposing opinions -

Edited by AllenLowe

the best large group writing of the last 20 years was the big band recording Julius Hemphill made for Nonesuch -

this is not a matter of opinion but of absolute fact -

if you don't agree please don't post, as this is now MY thread -

moderators, please delete all opposing opinions -

I assume this is your cyberattempt at sardonic humor -yes?

BTW: Larry Curly Moe:

I released my second CD ( this time with a great LA A Team band ) called "My Museum" - again on Origin records. It was picked as one of the top 50 jazz CDs 0f 2007 by JazzTimes magazine!

I'm currently at work on CD#3 - ( although the prevailing economic scenario has made assembling the production bread a bit harder this time )

You can check out samples of both CDs on both my website and the Origin website.

Phil Kelly

www.philkellymusic.com

NW Prevailing Winds

SW Santa Ana Winds

Origin Records

Would you consider John Carisi an "arranger"?

The RCA/Bluebird compact disc "The Arrangers" is fantastic, featuring compositions and arrangements by Gil Evans, George Russell, Carisi, and Rod Levitt. Was any of that music out originally on vinyl? I'd like to see the LP cover art if so ...

Except for the Carisi material (previously unreleased), all of it was out on LP -- Russell's and Evans's on Hal McKusick's Jazz Workshop LP on RCA, Levitt's on his own RCA LPs (there were three IIRC). The Levitt albums would be a nice Mosaic Select, but I believe that Mosaic feels there would little market for it, very few people even knowing who Levitt was.

yes, Carisi, not to forget Angkor Watt - Carisi was surprising un-frustrated when I knew him a few years before he died, I always asked him, "John, don't you feel the need to do more writing?" but he was happy playing society gigs - guess he figured it was time to relax and just make a living -

Edited by AllenLowe

Some of my favorites:

Fletcher Henderson

Jimmy Mundy

Benny Carter

Sy Oliver

Duke Ellington

Billy Strayhorn

Ralph Burns

Johnny Mandel

Al Cohn

Bill Holman

Bob Brookmeyer

Marty Paich

Manny Albam

Nat Pierce

Neal Hefti (especially his work for Basie)

Ernie Wilkins

Billy Byers

Frank Foster

Thad Jones

Francy Boland

Sammy Nestico

Frank Mantooth

Bob Florence

Matt Catingub

Rob McConnell

Phil Kelly

Tom Kubis

Matt Harris

and the most under-rated and least known of all - the late Tom Talbert

from 'Bix Duke Fats' to 'Duke's Domain' A quiet genius. Ask Joe Wilder, Danny Bank, Don Shelton, or Eddie Bert.

Bruce is the author of a fascinating biography of Talbert, "Tom Talbert His Life and Times: Voices From a Vanished World of Jazz" (Scarecrow). I bought "Bix Duke and Fats" when it came out back in 1956 and everything else I could find by Talbert afterwards. All I lack, I believe, is "Wednesday's Child," although two tracks from that 1956 Atlantic album are on the CD that is included in Bruce's book. Seek out anything by Talbert you can find. He's in the same class as Gil Evans, and the flavor of his music is unique -- at once modern and a bit "moderne" at times (like a musical equivalent of Art Deco), it always seemed to be "curved" (if you know what I mean), but it has plenty of drive when it wants to be that way. There's some kinship musically between Talbert with Oscar Pettiford (Talbert knew Pettiford in Minneapolis in his teenage years and later wrote for O.P. in the '50s).