"Virgo Vibes" by Roy Ayers

HWright

• 6 years later...

I just came across the playing of Ayers courtesy of the excellent Jack Wilson release "Something Personal". Ayers is fantastic here. This has spurred me into action as to what might be a good starting point concerning his releases. I would rather concentrate on his jazz oriented dates and you guys have given what appears to be excellent suggestions. What I like about the "Virgo Vibes" dates are the players. Joe Henderson, Harold Land, Herbie, Charles Tolliver, Jack Wilson and Donald Bailey. Sounds good to me.

Edited by Tom 1960

I just came across the playing of Ayers courtesy of the excellent Jack Wilson release "Something Personal". Ayers is fantastic here. This has spurred me into action as to what might be a good starting point concerning his releases. I would rather concentrate on his jazz oriented dates and you guys have given what appears to be excellent suggestions. What I like about the "Virgo Vibes" dates are the players. Joe Henderson, Harold Land, Herbie, Charles Tolliver, Jack Wilson and Donald Bailey. Sounds good to me.

Tom, some overlap here with what you've already heard, but this Night Lights show covers Ayers' 1960s jazz recordings:

Vibin': Roy Ayers in the 1960s

Tom, some overlap here with what you've already heard, but this Night Lights show covers Ayers' 1960s jazz recordings:

Vibin': Roy Ayers in the 1960s

Thank you, David, Will be checking out the show shortly.

this has been released in digipac by Rhyno/Warner in 2002 and paired with Daddy Bug on Collectibles in 1999. Should still be available.

It is indeed a pretty good album.

I recently bought it on vinyl as a reissue. The label (blue & green)and cover are Atlantic and I don't know how old it is but it was sealed when I bought it.

.... the 2nd album (Daddy Bug) on the Collectibles edition is not very good.

I have to announce my disagreement. The pairing is unfortunate, as most who might like jazz in the vein of Virgo Vibes probably won't appreciate Daddy Bug. Totally different albums.

Daddy Bug would have been called a classic had it been released on CTI ...

Yes, the woodwind and strings overdubs were mixed down, but they had Armen Halburian overdub some new percussion tracks on the title tune. The arrangements - by William Fisher were nice. It's a tasteful album.

If they had done the CD reissue right, they would have released Daddy Bug in its originally issued form and added the version wothout overdubs as bonus tracks, including the one unissued track first released on Daddy Bug & Friends.On the CD issue of Virgo Vibes they added the unreleased tracks available and it came out nicely.