The Great Concert of Charles Mingus

skeith

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photo of Eric, intended to finish off last night's gallery, but delayed when the squirrel collapsed...

I ran into the same problem. this pic is also used in the new CD release.

I'm too lazy to look it up in google, but does the Revenge set include all of the Salle Wagram material?

So, Brownie,

sorry to be dense, but it's still confusing- apparently nothing was recorded at the Salle Wagram on April 18th if I read your post correclty because it didn't start until after midnight. Also then my France's Concert disc recorded at the Salle Wagram on the 18th (misprint??) and includes Peggy's Blue Skylight is a completely different concert from what is on the new Verve reissue, right?

So, Brownie,

sorry to be dense, but it's still confusing- apparently nothing was recorded at the Salle Wagram on April 18th if I read your post correclty because it didn't start until after midnight. Also then my France's Concert disc recorded at the Salle Wagram on the 18th (misprint??) and includes Peggy's Blue Skylight is a completely different concert from what is on the new Verve reissue, right?

I did not state that nothing was recorded at the Salle Wagram concert. I stated that the opening sections of that Salle Wagram were incorporated in the original 3LP release of the Great Concert.

Completely forgot about the FCD releases, the two CD releases from the Salle Wagram concerts. That label disappeared and the various releases from French concerts (other albums from that company had concert tapes from John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Thelonious Monk, Roland Kirk, Coleman Hawkins, Stuff Smith, etc.).

Those releases disappeared after T.S. Monk Jr and relatives of Bill Evans - among others - attacked the label and won their case in the French courts.

Very, very rare items nowadays.

The link that kh1958 provided is the best available roundup I know of that confused episode in Charles Mingus European tour of 1964.

If you have the 3LP album keep that one. It has music by that fantastic group which has not been reissued since, as far as I know.

On your recommendation, I just pick this up on vinyl at lunch for $15. It's the Prestige version and it's in VG+ condition(both cover/vinyl). Thanks for the heads up :)

Also, found Ray Charles Modern Sounds in Country and Western lp(MONO) for 5 bucks!

Edited by Chalupa

• 2 months later...

Finally picked this one up. It's great to have this on CD again. (I used to have the musidisc CD version.) I don't see any mention of this in the liners, but does anyone know if this is a mono recording? Sounds like it to me, but i'm not exactly sure.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Man, this 1964 European tour is a discographical mess! ;) Sure is hard to keep straight.

I have the old "Great Concert" on LP, but it appears now that parts of that were taken (edited) from other shows, with only this latest CD release offering the complete show (sans encore apparently). I just ordered this disc, but meanwhile I've been listening to the Stuttgart show from 4/28/64 (or at least what's supposed to be the Stuttgart show) and it's perhaps the most incredble show of the tour, with a 40+ minute version of "Fables." And the sound quality is great. Recently downloaded it from easytree. I think they're from newly discovered sources or something - the site's down at the moment but I'll try to post a link later. :tup

I remember the rave reviews this got in German jazz radio shows and magazines when the first America issue came out.

The deal between Fantasy and America was a mutual one, by the way - I had the first European issue of the first Creedence Clearwater Revival LP on America.

Still, America was a strange label, a mixed bag of live and rare and probably partly bootleg jazz albums, some pop ... little consistency, even in the CD era. I once had a rare Anthony Braxton Quartet LP on America. Was America part of Musidisc from the beginning? And when exactly did Universal buy Musidisc?

Was America part of Musidisc from the beginning? And when exactly did Universal buy Musidisc?

America was part of the Musidisc company. I'm pretty sure, America had a distribution deal with Musidic from the start.

The original 3LP album of 'The Great Concert of Charles Mingus' has this item at the bottom of its two-page inside liner notes:

'DISTRIBUTION EXCLUSIVE POUR LE MONDE ENTIER

MUSIDIC EUROPE - Philippe Thomas'.

No idea who Philippe Thomas was!

And no idea either on when Musidisc was bought by Universal!

• 1 year later...

Finally got my hands on this. Great music, though IMHO the "Meditations" on Town Hall Concert is better than this one. OTOH this concert gives a much better sense of the group's M.O. than the NYC recording.

Any favorite performances from the tour?

Also, why does Mingus keep stopping and laughing during the pre-"Meditations" monologue?

Guy

Edited by Guy

The Great Concert presents almost the entire repertoire performed by this group. Town Hall Concert was originally advertised, I believe, as volume 1. So I don't think the entire performance has been released.

I also thought this was recorded at a Town Hall in another city (Minnesota?), not in New York.

These are actually my two favorite releases by this group, in terms of the combination of performance quality and recording quality.

Here's hoping the Cornell University concert by the group that Sue Mingus says she has is released someday soon.

Finally got my hands on this. Great music, though IMHO the "Meditations" on Town Hall Concert is better than this one. OTOH this concert gives a much better sense of the group's M.O. than the NYC recording.

Any favorite performances from the tour?

Also, why does Mingus keep stopping and laughing during the pre-"Meditations" monologue?

Guy