Carmell Jones Mosaic box

I received my Carmell box 4 days ago. I finally made my way through all three disks. Does it seem like a fair comment to say that Jones sounds like a mixture of Clifford Brown & Donald Byrd? This is, at least, the way he sounds to me. :)

Guest Guest_john Tapscott

I think that's fair, Wes. I haven't got the Mosaic set yet, but it will be arriving shortly. I've heard him on the Gerald Wilson Mosaic set and the Bud Shank Mosaic set and on "Song for My Father". At this point I might have thought he was a little closer to Byrd than Brown, but in any case, a very nice trumpet player.

I think I hear some definite Brownie traces in Carmell's playing ...

For those who've heard it, what did you think of the Frank Strazzeri session that saw the light of day for the first time on this set? I thought it started slowly, but picked up steam and damn near melted my speakers by the time "Injun" had finished!

For those who've heard it, what did you think of the Frank Strazzeri session that saw the light of day for the first time on this set? I thought it started slowly, but picked up steam and damn near melted my speakers by the time "Injun" had finished!

I listened to this set last night but it was only my first time through.

I'm going to go re-listen now, monitor the boards a while longer, and drink some cheap California red wine. :)

I had heard only one Jones disc before, Jayhawk, and what impressed me from this set was Strazzeri. I had not heard him before and he was revelation. Carmell to me is definitely more in the Brownie sphere as opposed to say the BN Lee Morgan/Byrd style.

This is really a monster set. Totally out of the blue for me. Other than "Song For My Father", I didn't know anything about him. I acquired "Jay Hawk Talk" only recently and am now hooked. This is one of the finer Mosaic sets in recent memory. B)

I think this is a GREAT set!

Back in the day you used to hear all this CRAP about west coast and east coast - This set puts the lie to that.

Carmell sounds great and Harold Land....Man what a player! Just beautiful.

I'd say Carmell is definitely out of Brownie's bag, as was Donald Byrd.

Agreed , these 2 selects have both introduced new artists to me & i hope the series carries on in this vain . I must admit i prefer the Moncur III box , as its reflects my usual jazz preferences . But i really like the first album on the Jones set & the folk sessions.

I got mine about 2 weeks ago. Man, I had no idea that Carmell was such a m.f.. Jayhalk Talk didn't prepare me for what was to come. This has been getting some seoius play at my place. I'm going to re-listen to Nathan Davis' "The Hip Walk", which I highly recommend. :g

A great set indeed, and a great intro. to Carmell for someone like myself who hadn't heard much/any of his stuff before. I especially like the dates w/ Gerald Wilson as the arranger - BRASS BAG and the earlier date w/ Bud Shank et al, the name escapes me as I type this. As for the Clifford influence, Carmell is quoted somewhere in the liners as saying that he wanted to express the same kind of ideas/feel/emotion on his horn as he heard Clifford do, or at least in the same SPIRIT and overall style of playing.

I just received this set as a gift an I've been listening to it for the past 2 days. This is one hell of a set - truly a "monster" as BFrank mentioned. :D I have little if any Carmell Jones, certainly none as a leader, in my collection. Both Jones and Land are outstanding throughout. I'd never heard Strazzeri either and am very impressed.

To think that this stuff could have sat in the vaults for who knows how long is Mosaic hadn't found a way to get it out. What a shame that would have been. And what a shame it is that music like this doesn't sell because of some silly West Coast stigma.

... BTW, anyone notice that the "E" session is 'splashy' sounding?

I'll have another listen to this session, but am not really sure what you mean by "splashy". One minor quibble I have about this set are the sometimes jarring, or at least quite noticeable, edits. Mosaic, to their credit, do mention that the edits and occasional distortion are in the master tapes and are not fixable.

I’ve had this set for a couple of weeks. It’s like a single malt scotch, it gets better and better with time.

On the initial run-through I thought the first disk was excellent. I’m embarrassed to admit, the second disk, on the first listen, seemed like a big band somehow reduced in size. I wasn’t overly impressed. The third disk has the ‘folk’ tunes, which seemed good, at first, but not great.

However, upon repeated listening, there are a LOT of good things here. Carmell Jones plays like the best copy of Clifford Brown I’ve heard (and I’m in a Clifford Brown mood right now) yet maintains his own sound. Its too bad Carmell didn’t receive more recognition in his day. Carmell's version of Come Rain Or Come Shine makes you want to cry out to your momma (or something).

I’ve heard the name of Harold Land but never knew much about him. What a player! He fits perfectly with Carmell’s style. I can’t say whom Land sounds like but, whatever he’s doing, he’s doing it quite well. He’s got a very warm and earthy sound.

The quintet sessions with Carmell Jones on the trumpet, Harold Land on the saxophone, and Frank Stazzeri on the piano are excellent. There are well-crafted and well-played songs from all involved. At times, Jones and Land exchange bars and play off one another, then come back together for the melody.

The ‘folk tunes’ open and close with the familiar melody but, in between the open and the close, there is some very fine playing. Very fine, indeed.

I’m not familiar with Gerald Wilson. However, in becoming more familiar with his arrangements on disk two, he has written some swinging material. Wilson creates a warm world for which the horns to play. Jones’ trumpet and various saxophones play everywhere out in front of the arrangement of sound. Angel Eyes has a dark, foggy, yet cozy feel about it. Canadian Sunset has a light, friendly, and somehow familiar sound. Is it just me or does Celery Stalks At Midnight seem somehow reminiscent of Jeepers, Creepers? I like the sound of the trombones (Tricky Lofton?) as they fade in and out through the set. Damn, them boys is good. :)

Edited by wesbed

I've been alternating between this set and the Gerald Wilson, both of which I received a few days ago.

The Carmell set does get better with each listen. THis guy could play! I love Land's sound on this set as well. The music passed the acid test - my wife wanted to know which set I was playing because it sounded so excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked the Carmell Jones not too long after it came out.

I really like this set. Trumpet is probably my favorite jazz instrument. Before visiting the Mosaic site I hadn't really heard of Jones. Although he was right under my nose on Silver's "Song for my father".

I like the first two discs the best. The 3rd disc of folk songs is interesting though.

After living with the set for a while, I began to explore some of the sidemen and the arranger, Gerald Wilson. I wound up buying the Wilson mosaic too.

If you're only familiar with Brown, Byrd, Davis, Dorham, Mitchell, Morgan, etc. You owe it to yourself to add Carmell Jones to the list.

• 3 weeks later...