Carmell Jones Mosaic box

• 1 year later...

Sorry to pull this topic back from the dead, but I've just picked this set up. I noticed that Mosaic has changed the track order for at least the first album -- I sure wish they wouldn't do this. Clearly "Night Tide" would make a much more effective and sensible ending to the album than "Full Moon and Empty Arms". The original liner notes give the original order, but this is not always the case. Are the other Mosaic Selects jumbled to give us SESSION rather than ALBUM order?

I really dislike this Mosaic policy in the Jimmy Giuffre box -- those albums were very carefully ordered, and Mosaic destroys this in a misplaced nod to the discographically inclined!

Sorry to pull this topic back from the dead, but I've just picked this set up. I noticed that Mosaic has changed the track order for at least the first album -- I sure wish they wouldn't do this. Clearly "Night Tide" would make a much more effective and sensible ending to the album than "Full Moon and Empty Arms". The original liner notes give the original order, but this is not always the case. Are the other Mosaic Selects jumbled to give us SESSION rather than ALBUM order?

I really dislike this Mosaic policy in the Jimmy Giuffre box -- those albums were very carefully ordered, and Mosaic destroys this in a misplaced nod to the discographically inclined!

Whoa! Don't know how part of this post ended up in the one above!

Edited by tatifan

Yes, unfortunately, Mosaic has had a marked tendency to do this since the beginning. On some more recent sets they've bowed to album-order due to popular sentiment (meaning complaints over the years) but clearly their hearts belong in sessionland.

Sorry to pull this topic back from the dead, but I've just picked this set up.  I noticed that Mosaic has changed the track order for at least the first album -- I sure wish they wouldn't do this.  Clearly "Night Tide" would make a much more effective and sensible ending to the album than "Full Moon and Empty Arms".  The original liner notes give the original order, but this is not always the case.  Are the other Mosaic Selects jumbled to give us SESSION rather than ALBUM order?

Yes, unfortunately, Mosaic has had a marked tendency to do this since the beginning. On some more recent sets they've bowed to album-order due to popular sentiment (meaning complaints over the years) but clearly their hearts belong in sessionland.

I wholly agree that, for music recorded in the LP era, album order (and not recording order) should be observed. If the artist (or the producer) decided to put the tracks in a specific order, let´s hear it like this!

And pleeeeeaze (and this Mosaic does respect, AFAIK), alternate tracks ---> at the end of the disc. Otherwise, I have to use the programming function on my CD player.

To each his own.. I prefer the alternates where they belong chronologically.. "otherwise I have to use the programming function of my CD player" :g

Also track sequence on an LP was generally governed more by the playing time, than an album " concept" by prodger and or artist.. there are exceptions. There was many a good track left off the album because it would be detrimental to the playing time of the LP.. but I conceed that in this case.. one man's meat.....

But Damn it Eke I'm older than you.. and the complexity of Cd ( or VHS) programming is beyond my senile grasp.. so I know better....... and therefore should be pandered to.

Mosaic had better get their act tohether in this respect or I shall take my $$$$'s elswhere........ :P

Edited by P.D.

Mosaic had better get their act tohether in this respect or I shall take my $$$$'s elswhere........ :P

I solemnly affirm that, with your current Mosaic collection, they can count themselves lucky! ;)

But, if you´re not happy with any of your OOP boxes due to tracking order, I would generously offer you a few bucks for them (say, four or five dollars for each CD)! :g

Since these days I never have time to listen to a whole CD (let alone album side!) in one sitting, I prefer the alternates at the end of discs...there's just no way I'm going to really truly be able to follow the sequential developments of a whole recording session UNLESS it's a very short one (e.g. some of the swing era and before dates where they layed down 3-4 brief tracks and called it a day).

As for order of original LP tracks - it depends. For truly classic LPs where the sequence mattered - where the whole concept hinges on a running order/flow - I like them kept as is. But for most jazz dates, honestly I don't think it matters much (not a criticism but that wasn't what the music was about before "concept" LPs became vogue) and I could care less what the order is.

Edited by DrJ

• 18 years later...