Three new Ellington Columbia reissues today!

jazzbo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the general drift of this conversation - all the praise of Blues In Orbit. I have absolutely nothing against it (I've had it since the lp was issued and played it two weeks ago) but I find the other two far more memorable. Is this reputation generated by it's previous cd incarnation and the fact the others have been generally unavailable?

You know what it is? This is one of my comfort albums. (There was a thread a while back about comfort albums, I believe.) Putting this record on makes me feel good. It's an aural peanut butter & jelly sandwich.

BLUES IN ORBIT is also a favorite of mine because of the textures. I like the voicings for the instrumentation. It's characteristic Ellington but through a deifferent lens, so to speak.

The solos are all fine, but everybody's been more "memorable" elsewhere. No question about that. But those arrangements and the specific textures they produce, if not exactly "one of a kind" in the Ellington ouvre, are still unique enough to set it apart from other lEllingtonian mid-size group efforts.

Pie Eye!

I already have PIANO IN THE FOREGROUND (though I'm looking forward to the new edition) and have never heard BLUES IN ORBIT (put off buying the old one because of this re-issue), which is why I'm more interested right now in BLUES. I definitely plan to pick up the BACKGROUND CD as well, though. You can never have too much Ellington, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm curious: are there any bad Ellington albums?

"Indigos" perhaps? Not the players but the material/songs covered.

I'll definitely get this lot when I get through the dozen and a half of unopened Duke discs.

Wonder when Columbia'll reissue "Cosmic Scene: Duke Ellington's Spacemen", that'll be a good one.

Well, it would be very possible to compile a bad Ellington album with some of the commercial trash that the band churned out for living in the 1930s. But I don't think that anybody has thought to do that yet. :)

On the Chronological Classics series, masterpieces stand side-by-side with Irving Mills pop numbers and the like.

Wow, Indigos is ANOTHER favorite of mine, fantastic playing and overall vibe!

Me too. I think I've played it more than any of my other 300+ Ellington cds. It may just be because it was one of the first Jazz Lps I ever got. (From the Columbia Record Club when it first came out.) I'm still waiting for the deluxe editon of Indigoes on cd: one with all of Autumn Leaves and any extant alternate cuts .

I've picked up the two Piano cds and am enjoying the hell out of Piano in the Background. The A Train version reminds me of the Voice of America theme that I used to listen to over the short wave radio when I was a kid (hosted by Willis Convover, I believe); it brought back memories. That was probably my first introduction to jazz.

BLUES IN ORBIT is also a favorite of mine because of the textures. I like the voicings for the instrumentation. It's characteristic Ellington but through a deifferent lens, so to speak.

The solos are all fine, but everybody's been more "memorable" elsewhere. No question about that. But those arrangements and the specific textures they produce, if not exactly "one of a kind" in the Ellington ouvre, are still unique enough to set it apart from other lEllingtonian mid-size group efforts.

Pie Eye!

Yeah, that too!