Blue Note SUCKS!!!!!

Guest ariceffron

Guest ariceffron

i just bought BLACK FIRE- i havent bought a cd in ages....and i have to say blue note sucks. whythe hell is there a little FBI logo on the back of the cd now. its like FBI presents andrew hill on blue note. then inside, it says what i just bought is not actually mine, ("since you don't own..., etc")-- in conclusion blue note is stupid. i dont care how many let freedom ring t-shirts they're making

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be aware.. there are rumours of a sting operation in place. FBI members joining Bulletin Boards and liberaally posting in the " Looking For" departments.. Watch out for requests for rare and unusal Kenny G items from newbies with low posting counts.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED............

Edited by P.D.

Before they know it, this recording and and many others will be public domain and no one will care.

As I've said before, the labels need to get a handle on the public domain issues, NOW!

I have no facts, but I would not be surprised if this batch of re-issues is the last we see from Blue Note Records. The entire 1500 series will be PD in 3 1/2 - 4 years.

As usual, the avearge consumer will buy whatever is cheapest unless they understand what is happening and feel some responsiblity toward the original artist and label. For those not so inclined, go HERE and get the Complete Clifford Brown Blue Note Studio Masters. I do not think it has FBI tag or copy protection.

Edited by wolff

" lalalalala...lalala...tratratra...this CD contains music, just play it for personal enjoy....an unathorized copy of the CD can damaged your equipment, you have been warned....or we'll put you in jail for the rest of your days....Big Brother is watching you....don't say anything against our guvnorment or against our organisation, we'll hear anything...there is a satellite up in space, that controls every of your movements.....you have been warned twice now! Kind regards your federal bureau of investigations and anti-piracy-music-copy-right-contol-executive-departement...lalalala-traraaatraaatraaa...lalalala"

(trailer out.....music begins to play)

:blink::huh::blink:

Edited by casanovas347

That has already happened. Everything recorded before 1954 is now public domain outside USA. Next year it will be everything recorded before 1955 and so forth. There are already plenty of public domain releases of BN material. Monk, Bud, Miles, older stuff like Quebec, Bechet and so on. And more will come.

In the US the copyright is currently 95 years (it used to be shorter) for pre-1977 recordings, and artist's life + 70 years for post-1976 recordings. That means that recordings made before 1909 now are in in the public domain even in the US. No jazz recordings had been made at that time, but in less than a decade the early ODJB sides will be PD in the US...

That has already happened. Everything recorded before 1954 is now public domain outside USA.

To keep beating the poor dead horse: inside USA or outside USA is rather moot with the internet. Legal, illegal...no way to enforce. I've seen BN PD recordings at Tower in the USA!! Hell, the Cuban embargo has little effect on cigar smokers in the USA.

One question I do have regarding public domain recordings/albums is the cover art and liner notes. Can the EU PD companies duplicate it after 50 years?

One question I do have regarding public domain recordings/albums is the cover art and liner notes. Can the EU PD companies duplicate it after 50 years?

No, the copyright has only expired on the recorded performance, not the other copyrighted works (compositions, artwork, text), where the duration is longer (same as for all artistic and literary works)

No, the copyright has only expired on the recorded performance, not the other copyrighted works (compositions, artwork, text), where the duration is longer (same as for all artistic and literary works)

Well, that's good. DSM, Reid Miles, Nat Hentoff and Leanard Feather can rest easy.

I hope you guys that do the spin-off BN covers here are copyrighting them.

Or, you could approach the PD companies with your ideas. :D

Edited by wolff

I've seen BN PD recordings at Tower in the USA!!  Hell, the Cuban embargo has little effect on cigar smokers in the USA. 

Right, Amazon and Tower online site have all the Blue Moon, Definitive, JSP titles you could want. I walked into the local Tower the other day, and they had all the Proper Boxes lined up in a row!

But it gets worse (or better if you are looking for cheap music), there are now a couple of Russian websites that sell mp3s. Apparently (and I don't really know the law here), Russia does not recognize any copyrights prior to around 1973, and in general they have sweetheart deals for the material published after that (I guess the music labels were trying to get even 10 cents on the dollar in Russia). So now these companies are selling what are perfectly legal MP3s in Russia, but are quite illegal in other parts of the world. Needlesstosay, it is no sweat to buy these MP3s from anywhere in the world. The prices are ridiculously low, generally 50 cents to $1 for an entire album. (How do I know this? Hmm. I was just doing research on the topic, just like Pete T. :w )