Organissimo BB

Eric

I would be delighted to find threads on Webern, Tommy Johnson, Billy Banks, Machaut, Berwald, Borodin, Red Allen, Tommy McClennan, Haydn, Horenstein, Furtwangler, Joseph Jarman, Elliot Carter, etc. I glaze over when discussions of early recordings center on transfers. Music first, technology after that.

I do know this is a Jazz group, but the art-form has always expanded using techniques from other musics. Knowledge of some of these influences are invaluable.

My good friend Duke Ellington said something about only 2 kinds of music - good and bad.

PS. I have the audasity of calling Duke a good friend since that's how he addressed me on one occasion. Gimme that amount of slack. :D

A personal word: I went away for a time, came back because I thought this was a better group to poll regarding my interview with Eddie Higgins, and because that Higgins interview led to some off-board interaction with Chris A., I'm finding it harder to slam him on the political threads. So, with that constraint in place, I think I'll keep hanging here.

Dan, keep slammin' when you feel the need! I can take it, but let's try to disagree in an adult manner...

....for the sake of the kids, of course. :g

A personal word: I went away for a time, came back because I thought this was a better group to poll regarding my interview with Eddie Higgins, and because that Higgins interview led to some off-board interaction with Chris A., I'm finding it harder to slam him on the political threads. So, with that constraint in place, I think I'll keep hanging here.

Well, while you two were gazing deeply into one anothers eyes, I sure hope you reminded him to keep searching around in that closet of his for the Lee Morgan radio show tape that he stashed away----we're dying to hear it. :g

• 2 weeks later...

Man, there seemed to be quite a jump in the number of new members recently. When Musicboy registered, I think he was member # 240something, on May 19th. It's a week later and there's over 290! That's the biggest surge in quite a while. B)

A personal word:  I went away for a time, came back because I thought this was a better group to poll regarding my interview with Eddie Higgins, and because that Higgins interview led to some off-board interaction with Chris A., I'm finding it harder to slam him on the political threads.  So, with that constraint in place, I think I'll keep hanging here.

Well, while you two were gazing deeply into one anothers eyes, I sure hope you reminded him to keep searching around in that closet of his for the Lee Morgan radio show tape that he stashed away----we're dying to hear it. :g

A personal word:  I went away for a time, came back because I thought this was a better group to poll regarding my interview with Eddie Higgins, and because that Higgins interview led to some off-board interaction with Chris A., I'm finding it harder to slam him on the political threads.  So, with that constraint in place, I think I'll keep hanging here.

Dan, keep slammin' when you feel the need! I can take it, but let's try to disagree in an adult manner...

....for the sake of the kids, of course. :g

:g

But since I prefer not to get weird looks from my co-workers when I do this :excited: or this :rmad: I think I'll stick with this approach :)

I think this board really is becoming everything that the BNBB could have been, but somehow never quite managed to be! And if the scope could be broader, all it takes is to start posting threads about other kinds of music/jazz too. I thought the BNBB crash would allow me to cut down on my message board addiction, but I was luckily wrong...

And nobody seems to miss Tom Evered all that much. ;)

But seriously, Chuck raised a good point. I've been a little concerned lately about few discussions regarding pre 1950 jazz, especially swing. Also I know somebody mentioned they only had 1 Bird cd. I find that hard to believe. If you don't have a healthy dose of Duke, Louis' Hot 5s and 7s and Bird's Savoy and Dial work, you're missing the holy jazz trinity.

Thank you organissimo.

Congrats on setting up a great board, Organissimo. This is already by far the best jazz BBS out there, maybe ever. There's a lot more going on here than say at JazzCorner or the few other places left since Blue Note dropped their board. And as far as the lack of discussion about newer music - that's up to us!