Are You Bound For Heaven Or Hell?

Joe

I think S has been quite respectful, explaining himself when questioned, and when introducing "evangelical" material not being pushy or persistant. I wouldn't exactly call it "missionary" . . . .

I didn't say or mean that Shrdlu was disrespectful or anything, I just don't think the board should be used for religious utterances. Just my opinion.

What makes you think that Reverend Gates is frivolous or joking? The reason that his records sold so well is because he performed with perceived conviction and sincerity. The theme is exactly that: how to avoid going to hell. People didn't buy the records as a joke.

My point exactly.

Haven't heard this particular set (yet), but have heard a fair amount of other material in the same genre and of the same vintage, and "frivilous" is not exactly the word that comes to mind...

I think S has been quite respectful, explaining himself when questioned, and when introducing "evangelical" material not being pushy or persistant.  I wouldn't exactly call it "missionary" . . . .

I didn't say or mean that Shrdlu was disrespectful or anything, I just don't think the board should be used for religious utterances. Just my opinion.

Amen!

.........uh...yeah! right!

Well, I think when SOME persons are SINCERELY religious, it permeates their entire life. For them NOT to "utter religion" from time to time in their discourse is unnatural. That's how I see it. It doesn't bother me in this light. It's easy to sidestep and as long as it's respectful and not pushy I don't mind; I do like the freedom that is allowed.

Well, I think when SOME persons are SINCERELY religious, it permeates their entire life. For them NOT to "utter religion" from time to time in their discourse is unnatural. That's how I see it. It doesn't bother me in this light. It's easy to sidestep and as long as it's respectful and not pushy I don't mind; I do like the freedom that is allowed.

I don't think Shrdlu is remotely "respectful" in the way he regards the beliefs of anyone who doesn't 100% agree with his personal beliefs.

In fact, he's downright disrespectful.

Well, you have a point there, but that IS within the very nature of his beliefs (and he's not alone).

I don't know, I just don't find this to be a problem for me but then misspelling doesn't bother me either! :g I'd rather we be free to express ourselves than otherwise.

Well, you have a point there, but that IS within the very nature of his beliefs (and he's not alone).

I don't know, I just don't find this to be a problem for me but then misspelling doesn't bother me either!  :g  I'd rather we be free to express ourselves than otherwise.

I think there's an enormous difference between expressing religious beliefs and misspellings... ;)

When I posted somewhere on this board (don't remember the topic, but it had some religious content) a while ago that in my opinion religious matters / opinions should be avoided on this board, I was kindly adviced by a friend to delete it as it might offend members with religious beliefs. Double standards if you ask me (not meaning my friend).

Edited by J.A.W.

Meaning I guess that as much as one may not want to hear about God, talk of God is all around one and it's not a "natural" situation to be completely devoid of religious sound. . . . That's how I see it at least. (I grew up surrounded by talk of God and religion).

I'm sorry (or penitent, perhaps) that I started this mini fire storm but I do subscribe to what Hans and Shawn have said. This isn't the place for it. Some may say that we have a political forum and that raises a lot of fervent discussion. That is true and if we wish to have religious discussion or interject godly themes, I suggest that we do it in the political forum.