Miles Box

BFS

There is a lot of material after that, up to 1975. I hope they include the Agharta and Pangaea material in this next box.

Didn't someone a ways back surmise that just the studio material from that time period, released plus known unreleased, would run to five or six discs? If so, I bet that Argharta and Pangea would get remastered/rereleased by their lonesomes and not be part of the box.

More importantly, what's the name going to be? Any candidates? How about "Around the Corner"?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only they had done it right and made it so that the metal spines would rust, just like the Bill Evans Verve set!

I think they should make the spines out of, like, broccoli, because that way they would ROT, and not only would they make a mess but they'd smell bad too.

Copies that were kept in the freezer would go for big bucks on ebay in a few years.

Act I...

I've been tracing the delivery progress- I always enjoy doing that- so I know it'll be here when I get home tomorrow. I'm really psyched for this one- some of the live stuff easily rivals the Plugged Nickel highs. I've been rediscovering Tony as of late, largely due to his great contribution to the Live Under The Sky set. He's just absolutely KILLIN' on these Miles sides. The whole band is hitting on all cylinders.

Epilogue......

As I was writing this I checked the tracking link to see where it was and it came up

"DELIVERED" (!!!!) so I got up and went to the front door and THERE IT WAS!

See y'all later............ :g:g:g:g

A Quinn Martin Production..................

I'm up to my third disc in the set,and I'm lovin' it(It's also much better for you than McDonald's!). The sharp contrast of the different versions of 'Seven Steps' is astonishing- the studio version is very good, but it has Frank Butler on drums and Victor Feldman on piano. When I listened to the version with Herbie Hancock & Tony Williams, the floodgates were opened and they were playing it for all it was worth.

Hearing the French MC announce 'erbie 'ancock was a good laugh. I get to listen to more later on-can't wait.

Have they fixed the glue in the cardboard sleeves the discs are in? Disc 1 of my Bitches Brew set needed to be replaced because the glue got all over it, and last night my Miles/Coltrane box discs seemed to be a little sticky on the edges. :rmad:

Edited by billyboy

billyboy,

And that's why I was wondering if the sessions would come out individually as well (especially Berlin and Tokyo).

I buy very few box sets (mostly Mosaics, of which have 7 or 8 - a lot less than other board members). Here are some reasons, some of which apply even to Mosaics, although I'm mostly thinking about the Miles Columbia boxes:

1. The packaging is often horrible (glue on the Miles Columbia boxes, CDs hard to get out withough breaking, illegible booklets, rust)

2. The price is high: $17 or $18 per CD; on sale, Miles CDs are usually $8.99 or even $7.99

3. The track order is often the recording order; therefore all 7 alternates come one after the other, and you might get three ballads in a row. A lot of jazz LPs were sequenced in a certain way for a reason.

4. You don't get the original album covers.

Some people may not care about these things (especially 3 and 4), but I do. The main plus of box sets is to get some tracks that may never appear individually elsewhere. Often, though, these tracks are throw-aways. I did buy the Bitches' Brew and Silent Way sets because there was enough extra material that did not appear elsewhere. However, I bought the 60s quintet stuff in individual CDs. I'm only missing a few tunes, mostly rehearsal takes.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Have they fixed the glue in the cardboard sleeves the discs are in?  Disc 1 of my Bitches Brew set needed to be replaced because the glue got all over it, and last night my Miles/Coltrane box discs seemed to be a little sticky on the edges. :rmad:

The same thing happened to me!!!

:angry:

At the end I got the Mosaic Lps and sold the cds!!

Suonds better and no more glue!! B-)

Edited by porcy62

billyboy,

And that's why I was wondering if the sessions would come out individually as well (especially Berlin and Tokyo).

I buy very few box sets (mostly Mosaics, of which have 7 or 8 - a lot less than other board members). Here are some reasons, some of which apply even to Mosaics, although I'm mostly thinking about the Miles Columbia boxes:

1. The packaging is often horrible (glue on the Miles Columbia boxes, CDs hard to get out withough breaking, illegible booklets, rust)

2. The price is high: $17 or $18 per CD; on sale, Miles CDs are usually $8.99 or even $7.99

3. The track order is often the recording order; therefore all 7 alternates come one after the other, and you might get three ballads in a row. A lot of jazz LPs were sequenced in a certain way for a reason.

4. You don't get the original album covers.

Some people may not care about these things (especially 3 and 4), but I do. The main plus of box sets is to get some tracks that may never appear individually elsewhere. Often, though, these tracks are throw-aways. I did buy the Bitches' Brew and Silent Way sets because there was enough extra material that did not appear elsewhere. However, I bought the 60s quintet stuff in individual CDs. I'm only missing a few tunes, mostly rehearsal takes.

Bertrand.

I agree with you on most points.

In most case I prefer the singles.

I go for single Lp, that is usually more expensive but leave me the time to listen at them carefully.

Sometimes I am scared by all the music on a 7 cd set, that makes more then 10 hours of music, alternates, false start. Music is a pleasure not a job!!!

The Parker's Dial and Savoy are almost unlistenable.

I have a different feeling about Mosaic, because of the useful booklets, if you put all them togheter you have a serious book about jazz.

Wich I do not like of Mosaic is the poor quality of boxes, on LP versions, fragile and easy to break.

And I didn't buy the Golson set, I bought some of the Jazztet vinyls, still a reasonable priced originals.