RIP G. T. Hogan

agriffith

The great jazz drummer from Galveston,Tx., G.T. Hogan, passed away Sunday morning. He had been suffering from emphysema for quite some time. He was a great influence on me as a musician, and I was very blessed to get to know him some during his last years.

Some great G.T. recorded appearances:

1) Walter Bishop Jr.: Milestones (Black Lion)

2) Kenny Dorham w/ Ernie Henry: Two Horns Two Rhythm (Riverside)

3) Kenny Drew: This Is New (Riverside)

4) New Faces At Newport: half of this lp with Randy Weston's Trio (Metrojazz) SHOULD BE REISSUED!

God Bless G.T.

One of the last from the times when nearly every drummer had a unique style. RIP, Mr. Hogan.

I liked him very much on A.K. Salim's Blues Suite on Savoy, and on all the Randy Westons, although I have to admit the Newport live recording mentioned before is one of the weaker documents of the band.

This is very, very sad news for me.

I had the great pleasure of meeting and getting to know G.T a little over the course of this last 8 months or so. I've regulary played a monthly gig down in San Antonio during that time period. Much to my astonishment, G.T. was at most every gig. Always slow-moving and with an oxygen tank, but SMILING and digging. He was too weak to sit in, sadly. My last gig there he didn't show as he had promised.

I'm deeply sad.

I had convinced myself that I was going to try to coax him up to play a ballad if he was at all able on my last gig. I wanted to be able to tell people (and myself)..."Man, I played with G.T. Hogan." Regretfully, that can't happen now.

Andrew, maybe you can answer this as I never remembered to ask G.T...., was he the drummer on Fred Jackson's "Rootin & Tootin"? It lists G.T. Hogan, but someone told me there was ANOTHER G.T. Hogan. Sounds ulikely to me, but perhaps you, or someone on the board would know for sure.

G.T. was a god on the drums. Listen to him on Marchel's "3." He was one of the last giants living who could really connect with the organ.

Edited by Soul Stream

Hi Soul Stream, surely we must know each other!

To answer you're question about the Fred Jackson record, I'm pretty sure that the listing may be incorrect.

There was a drummer around the same time in NYC named Wilbert Hogan. He played with Lionel Hampton's band & G.T. knew him, although they were not related.

To add to the confusion, though, Wilbert Hogan also played with Randy Weston around the same time as G.T., so personnel & discography listings have sometimes confused the two. Totally different sounding players, though.

Also, G.T. is occassionally listed as Granville Hogan. Granville was his actual first name.

Hope this helps. I'll try and double check on that Fred Jackson record, though.

Glad you got to meet G.T.. Really warm person. And one of my favorite drummers.

Hi Andrew! Yes, we did meet one time. I am a friend of Johnny Moeller. I met you at the Marchel Ivery/Joey Defrancesco gig you played in Dallas last year. I'm a big fan of yours as well. Loved the CD you made with those guys. I'll be backing Marchel up down here in Austin on September 3rd. I'm really, really looking forward to it.

Also, you already answered my question. Wilbert Hogan plays on Fred Jackson's "Hootin' and Tootin'." Not G.T. My mistake. But, thanks for clearing that whole name thing up.

Although I only knew G.T. briefly. I'll really miss his support, friendship and generousity. It won't be the same playing that gig without seeing him front and center, eyes closed, and listening.

So long G.T.

• 3 years later...

There was a drummer around the same time in NYC named Wilbert Hogan. He played with Lionel Hampton's band & G.T. knew him, although they were not related.

According to Eugene Chadbourne's entry at www.allmusic.com they were one and the same person.

Wilbert G.T. Hogan * Alternative Name: Granville Hogan, Wilbert Hogan, G.T. Hogan, W.T. Hogan

According to Eugene Chadbourne's entry at www.allmusic.com they were one and the same person.

Wilbert G.T. Hogan * Alternative Name: Granville Hogan, Wilbert Hogan, G.T. Hogan, W.T. Hogan

Mr. Chadbourne is wrong.