BFT #16 - Disc 2 - Discussion

Dan Gould

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Dan. This is obviously heavy on da blues. Nothing wrong with that. I just had to stop and start several times because it's hard to listen to ones blues after another for several long takes. Lots of things to say, so here goes:

1. The first pianist is really groovin'. I assume the pianist is a he. I dig his interpretation of Summertime, though I can't tell if he's doing a medley or if it just goes on forever (i.e. 10 minutes). If he's stretching the outro he could have ended it around the 5 minute mark. It still would have stood out as particularly emotive. But overall his personality really shines through. It's a feel-good live performance. It could be Bobby Timmons but the recording quality is too good. I have few other clues to who it is. It is apparently relatively recent (i.e. the last 20 yrs) and that the pianist is true to his roots in both blues and straight-ahead jazz. My guess is he's probably black from all that soul-power and the accent in his voice when he says "I've got a crink in my finger," and "that's the chicken." From the tremolos I wanna say Cyrus Chestnut, but the voice that the listener hears doesn't exactly match Cyrus'.

BTW, what is that thing he throws in around 9:05 to 9:15. That came outta nowhere. 3 stars.

2. This sounds like a slightly modern Wes Montgomery clone. It's got a smooth vibe. I don't know the tune. It's frankly a bit boring at the beginning. Fails to keep my attention. I like the piano's quote of "Invitation." It's a 32-bar blues with a repeated 16-bar A section, 8 bar bridge and and 8 bar recapitulation of the "melody" though there is none to speak of besides the blues scale. It reminds me of this much faster blues tune with the same form by Don Menza. 1.5 stars.

3. Yeah baby. Swing it!!! Whew. Hardbopjazz would love this. The tune is Jeanine by Duke Pearson but I have no clue who the sax player is. At first I had the inkling that he was a smooth guy but when he started making the changes like he does (in such tasteful form) I knew this was an older guy out of the Hank Mobley school. He uses licks that somehow all sound like his own. You don't hear some of these lines too often today. I might have to transcribe this for my horn. Definately groovin and in the pocket. Great support from a rhythm section with big ears. 4 stars.

4. Funk? We were just swingin' so hard. I personally have no interest in this tune. I think I hear a blues theme goin on. Oh, wait....it gets a little interesting around 1:10. I don't really care for this tenor player. 2 stars for the tenor. 3 for the rhythm section.

5. Is this Gene Ludwig or Hank Marr on organ? Or some later lesser known cat? Not terribly impressive chops....This tenor has a sound that is recognizable but I can't put my finger on it. Sounds too generic for me. 2 stars.

6. Sounds like a later incarnate of the Basie band. The trumpet hits are signature Basie-style arrangements. I am unfamiliar with the later Basie sidemen. Otherwise I'd say Marshal Royal on alto and somebody like Budd Johnson or Frank Wess on tenor. The pianist is almost certainly the Count. But, I may be way off the mark. 2 1/2 stars.

7. This is an early organist. Could be Count Basie again. He dabbled in organ early on. But it's probably an earlier cat. And it doesn't sound like the Count's piano style at all. I like it, but I have to admit I'm getting a little tired of blues for one listening. Ooh, some nice substituted changes by the tenor there. This is old school. I can tell the tenor player checked out Johnny Hodges at some point as every saxophone player should.

8. I like this. I've definately heard this tune before. Yeah I like that repeated tag on the end of the head. And the pentatonic harmony leading into the solos is hip. Nice playing. This tenor player sounds a bit like Frank Foster. Definately someone that age. Could be grandmaster Clark T. on trumpet in his earlier days. This is the epitome of what jazz did to the old blues. Fast hands on the keys and he heads "out" for a few moments which keeps me on my proverbial "toes." 4 stars.

BTW, it kills me that I don't know the names of these tunes.

9. Parker's Mood? Is there a melody there? I love the slow drone of this tenor player. I KNOW I should KNOW this player. WOAH?!? Another tenor.....Ok. Hints of Stanley Turrentine. Could be Willis Gator Jackson? He was certainly known for playin' the blues. 3 stars.

10. More BLUES. Nah.....just kidding. I love the blues but seriously. Cannonball played this. It's a song I'm sure I know but it isn't coming to me right now. I'm sure you all know it right away. 3 1/2 stars.

Thanks so much Dan. This was a listening treat. Can't wait to discuss the other disc. That one at least has some identifiable players for me.

As I said on the Disc 1 thread, I've been to busy to really get into this yet. Just going to fire off some intial observations...

#1 starts out as Summertime, then goes into a straight ahead blues extravaganza. The guitarist is okay (don't recognize him).

#2 I'm not sure yet, but I think this might be Kenny Burrell's tune "Isabella", perhaps done here by one of his disciples (Rodney Jones? Bobby Broom? Mark Whitfield? I dunno.).

#3 This is Jeannine. Very nice solos!

#4 This is a tune from "The Wiz" called "Ease on down the road".

#5 This tune is VERY familiar, but I'm sort of blanking. A Jimmy Smith tune?

#6 Reminiscent of a Basie small group

Doing this one in easy stages - part one:-

1. "Summertine" - no mystery there. I don't know the playing or the voice though.

2. "Isabella" by Kenny Burrell and it certainly sounds like him playing as well. Don't know the album or the tenor player.

3. "Jeannine" by Duke Pearson but I cannot identify the players.

All for now.

Blindfold Test #16 Compiled by Dan Gould

DISC 2

1. This is one kick ass version of "Summertime," I have never heard a better piano version of this tune. Simply astounding playing. I played it back about ten times. I love the joking around with the crowd about a finger cramp--hilarious! Did it change tunes half way?

2. Wow. Awesome. Kenny Burrell?

3. Stan Getz?

4. DKDC.

5. "Back At The Chicken Shack" I prefer the original.

6. Fun stuff. No guess.

7. It's either a church or Dodger Stadium. Good lawd!

8. Woody Shaw comes to mind...?

9. Sounds very close to "Willow Weep For Me." I want to say Gene Harris again.

10. This is definitely "Willow Weep For Me." I may have this version. Sonny Criss maybe?

Thanks again to the artist formerly known as Gene Harris Fanatic! Now to read the other responses...

1. “Summertime” and the guessin’ is easy: sounds like Gene Harris again. I thought it might be from one of the “It” Club dates. But that ending goes on waaaaaaaay too long!

2. Mmmmmm! Sounds like some Joe Pass! I’ll be interested to find out the answer to this one!

3. No clue.

4. Sounds like Joe Henderson! Love the groove on this one!

5. Ohhhhh YEAH!!! Funny thing is, before I owned the original version of this classic, I thought this was it! Heard it on the radio, in fact, and it was the DJ who said it was track four from this album!

6. Has that classic Ellington sound, so I’m guessing it must be the real deal! Don’t know the song or the album, but I would place it in the late 60’s or so.

7. Sounds pretty recent, but I have no idea who it is. Sounds like the organ player went to the Count Basie School of the Slow Blues! Is that Stanley T on tenor?

8. This reminds me of Kenny Dorham & Cliff Jordan. Nice shuffle beat, too.

9. No clue. Too slow for me, anyway.

10. Could this be Stanley T with the 3 Sounds wrapping up a BFT? That’s my guess!

Both discs make a fine continuous program - 2 1/2 hours of entertaining jazz!

Track 1: One more candidate for the Gene Harris track in this BFT! Great - must have been a lot of fun being there. Summertime Blues, someone used to call this, or My Funky Summertime. Again, like in the opening track of disc 1, a guitarist sneeks in for the out chorusses, but this one here plays rhythm only. ****1/2

Track 2: Bass figure reminds me of Summertime - Bob Cranshaw on electric?. Gene Ammons on sax? Nice and moody. ****

Track 3: Oh, I know that tune ... Duke Pearson's "Jeannine". Very nice tenor sax - plenty of good ideas, and he maintains the swinging flow from beginning to end. The pianist was a disappointment after him, heavy underdevelopped left hand, fast runs that are more a display of not so assured technique than soulful expression. Even the drummer, who interacts nicely during the tenor solo, holds back during the piano solo. ** for the piano, ***** for the tenor and the rest of the band.

Track 4: The drummer's opening is a little disjointed, but considering the track starts as a funky little treat and switches to insistent driving fast swing for the chorusses ... Better pianist than on the previous track, but this somehow leaves me cold. ***

Track 5: Gettin' greazy one more time - there's too little organ on these BFT's - afraid of easy guesses? This one proves there is more unfamiliar Hammond playing that we might think. Nice, straight in the groove, no-nonsense track. I should know that slighty sweet 'n' sleepy toned tenor. The funkier guitar and drum sound places this in the 1970's or later. ****

Track 6: Back to mainstream swing - and another familar tune. Strange piano sound, too hard and thin. Oh, some bigger band this time. Benny Carter on alto, I'm pretty sure. ***

Track 7: Hammond and piano - I like that combination and wish it was used more often. Some pre-Smith registration on the organ - a late career Basie small group? ***1/2

Track 8: Some more blues changes. I might have heard that before. Oh - at last one I have! Opening track from (this CD). I like this rather under-recorded tenor guy very much, and even a friend of mine who is very critical about neo-con musicians, appreciated him in a blindfold session where I used one his tracks. He really feels and plays within that style than simply imitating, and selects great tunes. There is a new recording out with him on the same label I still have to get! Solid rhythm section and some underrated veteran trumpet player. ****

Track 9: This tenor leaves me clueless. Well, well, I hear ya, brother! I'll probably slap my forehead when his identity is revealed. Bassist is Major Holley! ****

Track 10: "Willow Weep For Me". That upward sweep is so familiar! Some late Hawkins? No! His phrasing and vibrato gets a little on my nerves. Paul Gonsalves phrases like that often, but plays not that loudly. No idea, but I probably know him well. On an average, a litle too pedestrian. The rhythm guitar is superfluous. Oh, no - a fadeout!?!? This BFT would have deserved a natural ending! **1/2

Dan, this was fun - in fact it still is! Thanks a lot for these deep looks into your collection!

8. I like this. I've definately heard this tune before. Yeah I like that repeated tag on the end of the head. And the pentatonic harmony leading into the solos is hip. Nice playing. This tenor player sounds a bit like Frank Foster. Definately someone that age. Could be grandmaster Clark T. on trumpet in his earlier days. This is the epitome of what jazz did to the old blues. Fast hands on the keys and he heads "out" for a few moments which keeps me on my proverbial "toes." 4 stars.

BTW, it kills me that I don't know the names of these tunes.

Foster was born in 1928, this guy in 1955!

The tune is an original by the pianist.

#2 I'm not sure yet, but I think this might be Kenny Burrell's tune "Isabella", perhaps done here by one of his disciples (Rodney Jones? Bobby Broom? Mark Whitfield? I dunno.).

This is Burrell's tune, but I couldn't find it in the discographies of these three guitarists, and it does not sound like any of them to me. Neither Burrell himself.

I'm doing disc 2 first, sorry.

Some real great music on this one, I enjoyed it very much and am curious to know all of the tunes and players.

1 - No Question this is Summertime at least the first 4 minutes or so of it.

I love this kind of stuff, you can feel the soul and blues come right out through the man's fingers. It's gives me chills. I do believe it is track 1 off of THIS.

2 - I liked the tune and I liked the way it was played, but have no real guesses, I'm going to say maybe the guitar is that of Kenny Burrell.

3 - A familiar tune and very enjoyable, but have no idea.

4 - After a few careful listens I figured out the tune is "Ease on Down the Road" and that leaves me to believe it is Plas Johnson from this CD.

I could be wrong.

5 - No idea onn this organ.

6 - A real swinger with Benny Carter on alto, no doubt. Not sure who else is playing here, maybe Lockjaw on Tenor?

7 - No idea. I'm thinking Count Basie on Piano, but a small part of it sounds like Ellintgon, but maybe thats because I think I'm hearing Johnny Hodges.

Oh hell I don't know, Wild Bill Davis and Count Basie?

8 - A great swinger for sure, newer sound.

9 - Is that Houston Person?

10 - "Willow Weep For Me" but not sure on the group. Sounds like Ben Webster to me, so I'm going to say it is. Something towards the end.....

Maybe?

I think I've got one...

Track 2

I've been a fan of this guitarist for a LONG time (going back to my blues days), but haven't kept up with him very well. I think of him as a "blues guitarist" rather than a "jazz guitarist", but he's always been keen to jazz. I like this track more and more, which tells me I should probably be paying more attention! Thanks for including this, Dan.

Mike, nice job nailing #8. How'd you DO that? :o B-)

Big Al, nice job nailing #5. WHY did you do that? :P

Catesta, nice job nailing #4. I spent about an hour solving it myself (knowing the tune made it possible, of course), and then came here and realized that you... er... at my lunch! ;) (I don't think you're correct on #1, BTW, although that doesn't mean you weren't partially correct. Dan's track is longer than the version you posted... unless I'm having one of my brain freezes, that is. Also, I don't think our guitarist is Ron Eschete'). Looks like you may be right on #10... ?

I'm digging track 7 quite a bit. Love that tasty piano solo (and the tenor blows nice too). To me, this sounds like the 1950's... kind of a Bill Doggett feel (not him, though, I don't think). As I found out on Ray's BFT, there was a lot of great R&B- and R&B-influenced jazz, that I've missed the boat on. I've heard of a lot of those artists, but haven't managed to check a lot of them out. This is intriguing with the organ and piano together. Seems like a light bulb ought to be going on... but I'm still in the dark. Anyway, I'll look forward to finding out what this is.

Big Al, nice job nailing #5. WHY did you do that? :P

I had some folks givin' me some serious grief for not having this one! So much greeeeeaze, so little time!!!!

Looks like [catesta] may be right on #10... ?

I dunno.... I love Ben, but this just doesn't have that breathy sound that he cultivated so richly as the years went by.

Plus, doesn't it just make sense that Dan would top off his BFT with a song featuring the great GH? :g

I did not do very well in identifying several tracks on disc 1. Disc 2 proved to be even more of a problem. Here are my small pickings:

1- a thoroughly enjoyable version of 'Summertime' Could it be Jay McShann?

2- a burrellish guitar player. Nice one!

3- the Duke Pearson classic tune 'Jeanine' but I have no idea who plays here,

4- enjoyed that one very much. Will have to wait for the correct answer and plan to purchase this if the rest of the album is on the same mood...

5- a classic BN tune. I heard this album during a recent visit at a record store.

This has to be this version, track 4:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:ihuh6jo271w0

Will revisit the store to get this!

6- I hear Benny Carter here but could not identify the album. One more to get. Very good ensemble,

7- more unidentified players and tune. Another good one,

8- tried various identifications on these players but drew a blank,

9- thought there were two sax players on that one and identified the ex-Basiite (and also the humming bass player). This has to be track 5 of this album:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0ykzikmhbbo9

which means there were three sax players in full battle. And one more album to get. Damn you, Dan!

10- an unidentifiable version of 'Willow Weep For Me'

Edited by brownie

(I don't think you're correct on #1, BTW, although that doesn't mean you weren't partially correct. Dan's track is longer than the version you posted... unless I'm having one of my brain freezes, that is. Also, I don't think our guitarist is Ron Eschete').

I'm 90% sure it's Gene Harris, but you're right it's not from the cd I guessed.

The problem is, I can't find the one that it would be on.

First off, definitely enjoyed Disc 1 more than this one. I'm just not into gutbucket tenors (e.g., #10), down home blues (too many tracks to count), and shuffle rhythms (#8), all of which are represented pretty heavily on this disc.

Some other observations:

1) "Summertime", too much fucking around for me on a tune that should have been retired a long time ago. (For those who now deduce I hate the tune, well, there have been great versions by the likes of Bechet, Artie Shaw, Stan Getz, Hubbard & Gilmore, etc., but this is not one of them).

3) "Jeannine", great tune, nice version. No clue as to the tenor

6) McShann's "The Jumpin' Blues". Sounds like Benny Carter on alto. (Saw Dexter and Stitt play this at the Village Vanguard back in '76 - a definite "live" highlight).

10) "Willow, Weep for Me", version NMCOT.

Here we go. Laugh away... ;)

Disc 2

1. “Summertime.” Interesting opening – delicate and lovely. I love the first few minutes of this but….hmmm… I like this less and less as the piece develops. Extremely groovy, but almost too much so. This goes way over the top for me – by the end, this seems almost a like a parody of a groovy piano trio (yeah, I know there’s guitar in there too). This woulda been an absolute blast to see live, but I’ve got very mixed feelings about this on record. I would guess the usual suspects: Gene Harris, Ramsey Lewis, etc…

2. The sound of this one sounds familiar, though not the tune itself. I know I’ve heard the guitar player before, but right now I’m drawing a blank. :huh:

3. Hey Dan, great taste! – another of my all-time favorite tunes (and one by a different “Duke” ;)). Nice version, don’t think I’ve heard it before.

4. I’m almost a bit surprised that Dan would dig this one. ;) I would have thought it too fast and frenetic for his slower, bluesier tastes. I think I know this tune? I dunno – I like it but it also has that gimmicky Richie Cole style about it as well. I expect I’ll be surprised.

5. Ah hell, I always get these groovy BN “hits” confused – and to be honest, sometimes they all start to sound the same to me. This is “Sidewinder” or “Back at the Chicken Shack” or one of those. Not sure the version. How can one not dig this?

6. Good. Piano sounds rather Horace Silver-ish, but that’s not obviously the case once the full band kicks in. Band/arrangement sounds almost like Ellington, but too modern-sounding to be “vintage” Duke.

7. Organ and piano? That should narrow it down some, but I’m stupid that way. Organ sounds rather “skating rink.” Pre-Jimmy Smith and his ilk? (Maybe Sir Charles Thompson playing both? Nah, that doesn’t fit the groove.) Either way, very nice.

8. No idea. But nice enough.

9. As Aric would say, “Hell Yeah!” Maybe my favorite track on this disc. ‘Bout as greasy as it gets. That’s Major Holley doing his thing at the end. I was pretty sure this was from this album: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:ltazqjmyojha (which I have) but now I realize that Shirley plays organ on that date, not piano. If I don’t already have this I gotta get it!

10. “Willow Weep For Me.” Hmmm… I originally thought track 9 was Stanley T., but since that doesn’t add up, I would have considered him here but the sax sounds too aggressive and just a bit too “out” for him. Almost sounds like Shepp or Pharaoh Sanders in their later years (I have a couple of Sanders’ Venus albums that have him playing in this style). Whatever – I love this one. The rest of the band sounds anemic in comparison, but that may just be the recording.

Another great disc Dan! :tup

(edited to correct a formatting error only)

Edited by RDK

I think I've got one...

Track 2

I've been a fan of this guitarist for a LONG time (going back to my blues days), but haven't kept up with him very well. I think of him as a "blues guitarist" rather than a "jazz guitarist", but he's always been keen to jazz. I like this track more and more, which tells me I should probably be paying more attention! Thanks for including this, Dan.

Hey Jim, you may be right! I've got this CD too - as well as many others by Earl - but I haven't listened to it in a while. He never would have crossed my mind since, like you, I was thinking "jazz" rather than "blues" guitarists. But then I always dug him because he sounded so jazzy... B-)

9.  As Aric would say, “Hell Yeah!”  Maybe my favorite track on this disc.  ‘Bout as greasy as it gets.  That’s Major Holley doing his thing at the end.  I was pretty sure this was from this album: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:ltazqjmyojha  (which I have) but now I realize that Shirley plays organ on that date, not piano.  If I don’t already have this I gotta get it!

As the old Kay Kyser, would say, “That’s right! You’re wrong!” ;) It’s definitely not from the album you listed, but I could sure see how you might think this is Mr. T! And maybe it is “Little Miss Cott” playing piano. Dan try to trick us on a BFT? NAAAAAAAAH!!!!! :g

Edited by Big Al