Favorite organist from this list

Name your favorite organist from the list  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL these cats are bad. I get a little weary of the Larry Young fetish among jazzers.... I mean Dr Lonnie Smith, Jack McDuff, and Shirley Scott at one each is just sad in this poll.

Sure, JOS and Larry Young are dominate in people's minds as innovators...but are they everyone's favorites too?

Edited by Soul Stream

Wow, Jimmy's not winning. I picked Jimmy, because he was, the master. I think Larry Young had real groovy chops, and showed off a lot. Jimmy Smith, IMO was a little different. I don't really think he showed off that much, but everything he did was just perfect. I never heard him play a mistake. Home Cookin' is the best example. There's not fireous playing on that album, but everything he does is so groovy and locked in, it's just perfect. Flawless! I don't know what else to say, and to me that's the most important thing. Jimmy Smith lives on!

Now that's a matter of interpertation isn't it........ :huh:;)

In my mind...

showing off = busting at the seems

...this isn't a bad thing, I LOVE Groovin' at Smalls...especially Valentine...probably my fav. rec. of Jimmy's

But, in truth, Jimmy's WHOLE life was showing off. :g But, in a good way.

Gotta go with Lawrence of Newark. The first, and close to the only, B-3'er who really colored outside the lines. While I'm not a huge fan of where his musical journey ultimately led, most of the stops along the way are fascinating. I love his work with Grant Green. Some of my very favorite music.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

showing off = busting at the seems

...this isn't a bad thing, I LOVE Groovin' at Smalls...especially Valentine...probably my fav. rec. of Jimmy's

But, in truth, Jimmy's WHOLE life was showing off. :g But, in a good way.

February 11, 1957

Showing off in GRAND style!!!! :tup:excited:

Jimmy Smith is the man in my collection at this point, the most albums represented and not a bad one in the bunch.

I need more Patton, more early Lonnie Smith. They're the ones I'm most interested in.

I have some select goodies from everyone on the poll, and dig the organists not on the poll like Earland and Patterson. I like the outer realms where Larry Young ventured and the spacy funk of McDuff's Moon Rappin'. The Legends Of Acid Jazz series is my starting point with a lot of them...Shirley, Patterson, Johnny Hammond Smith, Charles Kynard...

Gotta go with Lawrence of Newark.  This first, and close to the only, B-3'er who really colored outside the lines.

Not true at all. Listen to the stuff on the Jimmy Smith Mosaic box from a few years ago... Jimmy could and did go outside the lines on many occasions.

Man, are people just listening to "Rockin The Boat" and nothing else of JOS's?

I mean...."Blues For J"...not only is he coloring outside the lines of the blues, he obliterated the lines. And that's on a damn blues!

I guess my suggestion for everybody who is mainly only listening to Larry Young is..., put "Unity" down for a minutes and put on Freddie Roach's "Good Move" or Shirley Scott on "Dearly Beloved" or Jack McDuff on "Tough Duff." I mean, there's so much MORE out there than Larry Young and being "out." Being "in" is cool too.