Favorite organist from this list

Name your favorite organist from the list  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own *way* too many CDs by this group collectively and enjoy 'em all. Had to be true to my inner funk though (and although it might be a bit passe) had to vote for the man - Jimmy Smith. In his prime, he was the best.

Eric

Had to go with Larry Young, because I felt he really stretched himself on the instrument and put himself in a greater variety of contexts than his peers. Having said that, John Patton and Jimmy Smith would be other favorites - love the John Patton albums for the groove, and Jimmy Smith is a no-brainer. The "incredible" title that was on many of his albums was well-deserved. The guy really ripped it up!

I voted for Larry Young. I love the way he developed his sound an went outside the traditional groovin' organ combo. I love his Mosaic - it's one of my favorites. That said, Patton would be a close second for me.

I tried to vote for Shirley (messed it up somehow, though). She really cooked. But so did a lot of the others. Very hard list to choose from. You could vote for Jimmy Smith, the groundbreaker and not lose any sleep over it. John Patton, Larry Young come next for me. The albums Baby Face made for BN are tops. His Argo albums not as good.

Of course I went with Patton. No surprise. However, don't underestimate the ability of Baby Face Willette. That guy was just as tremendous as the others in his own way. A phenomenal player who mastered the instrument long before most other organists had a chance to utter the name Jimmy Smith. His Blue Notes and Argo LPs still stand as some of the best organ records to ever be made IMHO. "Face To Face" is in the Organ Hall Of Fame. ;)

Yeah, Shirley Scott doesn't get much attention these days. However, for those who are fans of Larry Goldings and his offspring Sam Yahel, they both owe more to Shirley Scott than any other (including Larry Young IMHO.) If you don't think so, find Scott's "One For Me" LP, put it on and tell me it doesn't sound like a modern day Goldings outing. Larry told me Scott was a huge inspiration and named one of her albums (I forget which one) as being one of the handful that really influenced him.

So, I'm with Lon. Whether we realize it or not, Scott's style has perhaps had a bigger influence on today's organ stylings than almost anyone else in a roundabout way. That is if you think Larry Goldings' style is today's most pervasive (which I think it is.) ;)

As Soul Stream already mentioned, the absence of Don Patterson is a damn crime, but that said I voted for McGriff. Why? Well, I just felt bad for him. :)

Actually, I love McGriff's playing. Obviously Jimmy Smith is the master and unbeatable. Next up for me would be Larry Young. Then Patterson tied with McDuff. Then Patton tied with Scott. The Holmes and McGriff.

It's so hard to choose. I have to say I've been listening to a lot of Smith lately.

I agree that Scott's influence on modern organists is pervasive. "One For Me" is a brilliant record.

• 1 year later...