An alternate Guitar Poll

Christiern

Who is your choice?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Mnytime

The Man, Django!

Speaking of which anyone see Woody Allen's film Sweet and Lowdown? An excelent film! The music of course is great as well. Even though Sean Penn doesn't do the actual guitar playing he does actually look like he has an idea how to play guitar. I know his brother is a musician.

Guest Mnytime

Penn played Emmet Ray who was the worlds greatest guitirst (except for this Gypsy in France). ;)

Ray is a fictional character as I understand it that Woody created from several different real people and put into one person. Who they where exactly I have no idea.

So anymore thoughts on our Matrix discussion?

Edited by Mnytime

Charlie Christian, because most of the guitarists I listen to can be traced directly (Wes, Grant, and Jim Hall) or indirectly (most everyone who came after those three) to him.

I think it was Howard Alden that did the actual guitar playing in Sweet and Lowdown. I thought Penn did a good job faking it, though.

For those in doubt about who the greatest guitarist is, let me just say "Air Mail Special" :D

For me that solo is the epitome of his style. On the surface it seems so freakin' simple! Easy to be fooled by his ultra-relaxed phrasing. There's some serious sh*t happening in those 32 bars. Every other bar or so contains a phrase that is pure genius. He still sounds fresh 60+ years later. Talk about being ahead of the curve. He's so far ahead of it, he's behind it! ;) Know what I mean?

I chose Django.

I really appreciate Charlie Christian. This is one of those really hard choices. I can listen to Christian all day. I love his playing, solo and with Goodman.

I've only heard Lonnie Johnson's later stuff and it was good. I dig Tiny Grimes too. I believe he played a four-stringed guitar like Eddie Condon?

But, Django to me is amazing. I listen to his stuff in amazement. I play guitar, but I only dream of being able to play like Django. The fact that he played the way he did with a damaged hand is even more frightening.

:rsmile:

Chris, you had room for the Jimmys Bunn and Shirley, and John Collins, and ...

I know, Chuck--I acted hastily, and there is no turning back with these polls.

BTW, Lonnie's later guitar work was cliché-ridden and not even a reflection of his earlier performances.

Y'all should give a listen to Lonnie Johnson with Duke's band and the Armstrong Hot Five.

I also recommend listening to Grimes' work with Tatum.

Good point. When these polls first started, I looked at them as momentary diversions, but I've learned to use them as indicators of laps in my jazz education. Some names have been mentioned that I'm totally unfamiliar with; obviously there's a lot more for me to discover out there. But then I imagine that will always be true...