Olsen Twins Promote McDonald's Meals

Guest Chaney

I have only a vague idea of who the Olsen Twins are but this just seems totally bizarre.

Sounds like grist for the late-night talk shows and talk radio.

logoprinter.gif

Olsen Twins Promote McDonald's Meals

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: September 16, 2004

Filed at 12:12 p.m. ET

PARIS (AP) -- Mary-Kate Olsen, recently treated for an eating disorder, and her twin sister Ashley are promoting McDonald's in France.

A Happy Meal campaign featuring the twins started Sept. 8 in the 1,035 McDonald's outlets in France, said a spokeswoman for the French division of the Oak Brook, Ill.-based fast-food giant. She refused to be quoted by name.

The meals come either with a photo album, a denim bag or a crayon box, she said. The album bears the twins' photo, and the bag and box bear their names, according to pictures on the McDonald's France Web site.

Mary-Kate was released in July from treatment for an eating disorder.

:blink:

I have a daughter, and, sadly, I do know about Mary Brat and Bratley. We even have some shampoo and conditioner with their name on it. My shampoo ran out the other day, so I reluctantly used the Mary Brat shampoo. Uggh! It reeked of something like distilled rancid coconut. Took about a week to get rid of the smell.

At least it's not as bad as that Lynx body spray - that stuff would keep Australian mosquitoes away! :D

I read recently that they have made a huge amount of money making direct to video movies. I thought direct to video was supposed to mean a flop, but for them it has been the road to riches.

These videos have found their way into my home, via my 6 year old daughter. She doesn't have any concept that these "films" never were shown in theaters, and I'm sure could care less. All she knows is that she likes Mary Kate & Ashley, and that these DVDs and VHSs are from them.

It's a market they focused on, took advantage of, and succeeded in, instead of trying to release theater-quality stuff and flounder against the Disneys, Dreamworks, etc.

Very business savvy, ala Madonna, Britney, Christina, Hilary Duff, and so on...