What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw Terence Blanchard with his quintet on Saturday night. He has grown as a musician in the past ten years. Some of his solos were deeply moving. Some of the performances entered avant garde jazz territory. His young band members play with a lot of energy, and Blanchard has become a much more intense and interesting player since the time I saw him live in 1996, for instance. One can no longer fairly call him a mere member of the 1980s Young Lions. He has transcended that--a pleasant surprise.

Monday night had the Gino Sitson Quartet - a New York based vocalist with roots in Cameroon - Helio Alves from Brazil on piano, Lonnie Plaxico on bass, Willard Dyson on drums - all played in great from. Recommended. A fine blend of modern jazz vocals with some African inflections. Not a single standard tunes, some tricky rhythms. Alves especially impressed as a great pianist of the Herbie Hancock school (rhythmically), but with a typical Brazilian groove.

alr1011.jpg

Last night in New Orleans: The Tin Men ("New Orleans' premiere guitar/tuba/washboard trio") at d.b.a. They played both Fats Waller's "You're Feet's Too Big" and Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song." Then over to Preservation Hall to hear a band led by banjoist Carl LeBlanc - the same CL who played guitar with Sun Ra. How cool is that?

Tonight: Evan Christopher & Tom McDermott at Donna's.

Edited by jeffcrom

Chris Potter - Underground at the Palace Of Fine Arts - SF.

trying to meet Bev's gig a month challenge.

Review:

The Chris Potter Underground had a lineup change in that Scott Cooley is now on Bass replacing Craig Taborn on Fender Rhodes. No offense to Scott Cooley as he is a monster in his own right but at first I was disappointed because the sound of the Underground with Taborn and Nate Smith making up for the lack of a Bass player was so unique, It also freed Adam Rogers from being chord based so he could just go nuts along with Chris Potter.

So the first couple songs I was really missing the Fender Rhodes but once my ear got use to the fact that this is the band they are now I was enjoying how it opened up the sound for everybody, while the hard hitting rhythm was still there with the amazing Nate Smith the music was less dense without Taborn. There was certainly no lack of intensity though. At one point last night Smith and Cooley were so locked in on over a blazing Adam Rogers solo I started laughing, it was just freaking ridiculous.

Halfway through to the end I wasn’t missing the Fender Rhodes at all. Where I felt the version of Radiohead’s Morning Bell on the studio record Underground was a missed opportunity as that it played too close to the original, the version last for the encore was a thing of beauty. With the keyboard taken out Cooley and Rogers could navigate over the melodies and chord structure more freely and it was superb.

They have a new record coming out next month, safe to say it’s going to be very good.

The only downer of the night was that the venue was only about 45% full but that didn’t stop the band from putting on a great show.

I am going to see Kronos Quartet right after work (a 6 pm concert). This is taking place at the Art Institute. I've never seen them live. I'd say the show is criminally underadvertised. I wouldn't have known about it except for stopping in at the Art Institute last weekend. Perhaps it has been in the daily newspaper listings, but I certainly don't recall seeing it.

Just got back from Unwigged & Unplugged - an informal retrospective of Spinal Tap, Mighty Wind and Guffman tunes, plus some random videos and "rareties". Quite funny and entertaining!

My wife and I are going to this at the end of May. I do wish it was a real Tap performance, but this should be fun.

Just got back from Unwigged & Unplugged - an informal retrospective of Spinal Tap, Mighty Wind and Guffman tunes, plus some random videos and "rareties". Quite funny and entertaining!

Did any drummers explode?

No. But they took a few questions at the end.........and it was asked about. :lol:

Went with a friend to see the classic punk band "The Angry Samoans" last night, what a blast that was! Haven't been to a punk show in years. Then we ended up at the after party till about 4am.

Tonight...free tickets to see Napalm Death...not sure if I'm ready for that or not. :rfr