What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

A short trip to New Orleans to attend two days of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival--May 1 and 2. I haven't been since 1987, boy, that was dumb.

The highlights of the first day were two, guitarist-vocalist Mauricio Tizumba, from Minas Gerais, Brazil, with his group Tambor Minerio, six lady drummer/vocalists. Tizumba's songs are fabulous, he's a fine singer and his group generates tremendous rhythmic excitement. After hearing an exciting set in the Blues Tent, subsequently in the afternoon in the smaller Casa de Brazil pavilion, I heard the same result in a much smaller venue.

Closing out the day in the Jazz Tent, the Dr. Lonnie Smith Trio played a transcendent set. With Jonathan Kreisberg on guitar and a New Orleans drummer whose name escapes me, the good Doctor was in sublime form once again.

Day 2 began in the Blues Tent with a little African music, Seguenon Kone and L'Ivoire Spectacle, led by a djembe and balaphon player from the Ivory Coast, a rather spectacular set of mostly drumming.

A little later, in the Jazz Tent, a somewhat unexpected highlight, Jason Marsalis and Chase Jordan's Woodshed Vibes. I wasn't expecting a group featuring dual vibes players to be so good, nor was I expecting Jason Marsalis to be such an excellent vibes player.

A bit later in the Jazz Tent, Nicholas Payton's group was, surprisingly, more in the funk vein, with guitar, electric bass and drums, and with Payton sitting at electric keyboards and organ, occasionally picking up his trumpet to solo. This group actually sounded pretty good for about the first half of the set, but wore a bit thin, especially when Payton started singing, and played more keyboards than trumpet.

Finally, closing out the day, the Pharaoh Sanders Quintet in the Jazz Tent, including William Henderson on piano and Marlon Jordan on trumpet. Pharaoh is moving fairly slowly and looking frail, but his sound was so gorgeous, and his playing remained strong. It seemed as if he faded a bit by the end, cutting the scheduled 1 and 20 minute set short at about an hour. His solo in the closing, You've Got to Have Freedom, was short but effective--it was cool seeing Pharaoh before such an adoring crowd. Meanwhile, behind us, at the next stage over, Christina Aguilera was simultaneously performing.

It was a very enjoyable experience on the whole, with perfect weather and great food as well. I hope to go again next year.

So pleased to hear Pharoah is still playing. During last year's European trip he was reported to be in poor health by Gheorghe in Vienna and I never got to see him in Manchester as he cut short the tour because of illness and returned to the U.S.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally, closing out the day, the Pharaoh Sanders Quintet in the Jazz Tent, including William Henderson on piano and Marlon Jordan on trumpet. Pharaoh is moving fairly slowly and looking frail, but his sound was so gorgeous, and his playing remained strong. It seemed as if he faded a bit by the end, cutting the scheduled 1 and 20 minute set short at about an hour. His solo in the closing, You've Got to Have Freedom, was short but effective--it was cool seeing Pharaoh before such an adoring crowd. Meanwhile, behind us, at the next stage over, Christina Aguilera was simultaneously performing.

It was a very enjoyable experience on the whole, with perfect weather and great food as well. I hope to go again next year.

So pleased to hear Pharoah is still playing. During last year's European trip he was reported to be in poor health by Gheorghe in Vienna and I never got to see him in Manchester as he cut short the tour because of illness and returned to the U.S.

Hope to get to see Pharoah again some day. I saw him several times in the early 1990s with that quartet with William Henderson. The Toronto appearance in 1990 at Bermuda Onion was incendiary !

Some good recent Sanders concerts available for viewing on YouTube.

Edited by sidewinder

Hope to get to see Pharoah again some day. I saw him several times in the early 1990s with that quartet with William Henderson. The Toronto appearance in 1990 at Bermuda Onion was incendiary !

First song was Living Space, which was a thrill to hear live. I hadn't seen him since 1999 (Iridium); before that, the Village Vanguard (1992), and the Caravan of Dreams (1989).

Yes indeed! Here he is at Band on the Wall, Manchester in 2011. I was at that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0opklknp8Go

Sae Jeremy Pelt and his band, to be truthful compositions and arrangements failed to make an impression on me, a lot of pieces with electric bass and on the Rhodes, That said the fellow remains a solid player , little histrionics no look at me stuff , nice sound just all around no nonsense strong technical playing,. Drummer (Don't remember his name was a bit on the too much rock'in side especially in the first set where he was was too loud, and considering how hyperactive he was , I though he was paid for every time he'd hit something , in the second set he was less intrusive, they made some change to the kit and he was thankfully less loud but he basically plays like every piece is a drum solo . The discovery of the night belongs to his pianist/keyboardist Theo Hill, loved what he could do either on the Rhodes than on the few times he used the regular piano, good listener good timing . Don't know if it was designed this way or the leader felt the same vibe I did but as the show progressed he was allowed more room to roam.

Pelt who between tunes works a bit like an old fashioned MC telling some stories intrioduces the band in a sometimes hyoperbolic way told a story that was more flattery than factual truth, as people asked for an encore he mentionned that when working in Europe he explained that over there no matter how terrible a band would sound you'd always get an encore while in North-America it is less taken for granted and you gotta earn it more. Can not say for other cities I'm afraid that over here you really got to suck big time not to get an encore as if I get his drift we are more Europeans in terms of being an easy crowd . Of course they have been some incidents over the years but they were exceptions and there was some context to explain them.

Edited by Van Basten II

Sae Jeremy Pelt and his band, to be truthful compositions and arrangements failed to make an impression on me, a lot of pieces with electric bass and on the Rhodes, That said the fellow remains a solid player , little histrionics no look at me stuff , nice sound just all around no nonsense strong technical playing,. Drummer (Don't remember his name was a bit on the too much rock'in side especially in the first set where he was was too loud, and considering how hyperactive he was , I though he was paid for every time he'd hit something , in the second set he was less intrusive, they made some change to the kit and he was thankfully less loud but he basically plays like every piece is a drum solo . The discovery of the night belongs to his pianist/keyboardist Theo Hill, loved what he could do either on the Rhodes than on the few times he used the regular piano, good listener good timing . Don't know if it was designed this way or the leader felt the same vibe I did but as the show progressed he was allowed more room to roam.

Pelt who between tunes works a bit like an old fashioned MC telling some stories intrioduces the band in a sometimes hyoperbolic way told a story that was more flattery than factual truth, as people asked for an encore he mentionned that when working in Europe he explained that over there no matter how terrible a band would sound you'd always get an encore while in North-America it is less taken for granted and you gotta earn it more. Can not say for other cities I'm afraid that over here you really got to suck big time not to get an encore as if I get his drift we are more Europeans in terms of being an easy crowd . Of course they have been some incidents over the years but they were exceptions and there was some context to explain them.

Theo Hill, I saw him last fall with Charles Tolliver, I liked him also.

Bringing this over here ... sorry for intruding the Malaby thread, thought it was the regular "what live music"-thread!

I'd put my money on Barry Guy-- never heard him deliver a slack performance-- & those Intakt CDs are phenonemal, especially

Inscape - Tableux

http://www.intaktrec.ch/202-a.htm

Arkestra I'd hope for the best but I suspect it'll be good; they deserve optimism, at least, unlike some performers who have worn their indulgences plum out.

Oh, I've seen the New Orchestra ten years ago and they were effin' unbelievable!

Sun Ra Arkesta about four or five years ago - and that must have been one of the greatest parties I've ever been to. So yeah!

Busy couple of weeks coming up:

Sunday - Herbie Hancock (w/Vinnie Colaiuta, Lionel Loueke, Marcus Miller)

Tuesday - Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger (Sean Lennon)/Syd Arthur

May 30 - Marc Ribot: Ceramic Dog (w/Shahzad Ismaily & Ches Smith)

May 31 - Marc Ribot: Los Cubanos Postizos (w/guest, David Hidalgo)

The Roger Beaujolais Quartet at Liverpool Hope University this evening:

Beaujolais (vibes), Robin Aspland (piano), Simon Thorp (bass), Winston Clifford (drums)

Superb music in a concert hall seating 200 drew an audience of 21 people. All very sad.

The Roger Beaujolais Quartet at Liverpool Hope University this evening:

Beaujolais (vibes), Robin Aspland (piano), Simon Thorp (bass), Winston Clifford (drums)

Superb music in a concert hall seating 200 drew an audience of 21 people. All very sad.

Yes very sad Bill.. Imo one of our very best groups with a terrific repertoire. Nice guys too.

Who is the trio?

bassist Aakaash Israni, pianist Amino Belyamani and drummer Qasim Naqvi. From SF now brooklyn, I believe. their first album was a very good improv session. this new direction is fascinating. Certainly brought in a young 20s/30s (I felt decidedly 'fatherly') crowd and sold out two shows at Oto which doesn't happen so often

http://www.dawnofmidi.com/