What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lately saw Brad Mehldhau in a duet with Tigran, great arrangements, kinda wish though they upped the tempo a bit , saw also Mehldau with drunner Mark Guiliana the same night, more of an electronic project, it is not yet a completed project some good moments nonethless.

Last night attended a show starring Annie Clark AKA St-Vincent, and she did kick ass in what was basically a rock show with choregraphies and that goes with it. A bit cold in terms of mise en scène but musically impressive as she takes on not only her very fine last album but her other ones in a set where she shined at the guitar with a drummer, a dude working electronics and a keyboardist/guitarist who participated at times in the choregraphy. It was electric and it was intense..

Lately saw Brad Mehldhau in a duet with Tigran, great arrangements, kinda wish though they upped the tempo a bit , saw also Mehldau with drunner Mark Guiliana the same night, more of an electronic project, it is not yet a completed project some good moments nonethless.

Last night attended a show starring Annie Clark AKA St-Vincent, and she did kick ass in what was basically a rock show with choregraphies and that goes with it. A bit cold in terms of mise en scène but musically impressive as she takes on not only her very fine last album but her other ones in a set where she shined at the guitar with a drummer, a dude working electronics and a keyboardist/guitarist who participated at times in the choregraphy. It was electric and it was intense..

Saw St Vincent in March. Gotta say I didn't "get it". But thinking that I need to get her latest album, anyway, and try to figure out what it was that I didn't "get".

Off to NYC in a week and a half. Planning to see Harold Mabern at Small's and Ben Allison at Birdland. Looking forward to it!

The sound of the show is closer to her last album, did you enjoy her previous efforts ? Must say she's the type of gal who does not stay in one place music wise so I guess it's pretty tough to enjoy what she does all the time.

I had trouble with her previous album, which is why I never got the newer one. I thought seeing her would help, because she always seems to get interesting reviews.

In a nutshell, I thought the show was overly loud (not that I have a problem with loud music), many of the songs sounded the same, and I didn't understand how the 'robotic' stage show related to the songs.

There is a certain uniformity in the sound of the show, which works with her last offering her latest being more electro clash , for lack of a better word , thought the addition of elements of guitar made it more vibrant, then again it's maybe a case of YMMV.

Ended the Jazz fest yesterday with Tom Harrell, the akwardness of the shoegazing aside, he seemed to be in fine shape , compositions are not elaborated but the melodies were enjoyable and most of the solos done by him and his group were worth listening, liked the idea of two bass players.. The fine cast surrounding him was composed of Esperanza Spalding, Jaleel Shaw, Johnathan Blake, Ugonna Okegwo, and Wayne Escoffery, enjoyable way of ending this 2014 edition.

Edited by Van Basten II

Greg Abate must be gearing up for his annual shoot-em-up with Alan Barnes at Swanage this weekend. I'm unlikely to make it down there this weekend, unfortunately, too much work to do. :(

Greg sent me a zany email hoping I'd be at his gig with Phil Woods at Woonsocket, Rhode Island next month. I told him it was a bit beyond my range. Can't even make Swanage! :lol:

Edited by BillF

Greg Abate must be gearing up for his annual shoot-em-up with Alan Barnes at Swanage this weekend. I'm unlikely to make it down there this weekend, unfortunately, too much work to do. :(

Greg sent me a zany email hoping I'd be at his gig with Phil Woods at Woonsocket, Rhode Island next month. I told him it was a bit beyond my range. Can't even make Swanage! :lol:

Greg is taking Phil with him to little ol' Methuen, MA August 12th (http://www.jockosjazz.com/).

Tomorrow night, Jocko has Harry Allen there. Harry puts on a great show.

Jazz Worship at Old South Church in Boston

My only opportunity to see any music while in Boston. Appeaing venue. Not sure what the music will be like. But gotta do it.

11 weeks in New York, 1.5 in Kansas City, 2 in Los Angeles, 3 in San Francisco and never made it to any music.

Wanted to try to get to Wally's instead (another early-opening venue for jam session at 6:00PM), but it's just a few blocks too far.

Greg is taking Phil with him to little ol' Methuen, MA August 12th (http://www.jockosjazz.com/).

Tomorrow night, Jocko has Harry Allen there. Harry puts on a great show.

Jockos sounds like a great place!

Spent a lovely evening listening to Ethiopian singer Meklit , now based in SF would try to pigeonhole her music into soul-pop, not a powerful voice but buit whatever she lacks in this department she compensates with plenty of playfulness as she goes through a song. Arrangements were enjoyable as her crew is composed of a drummer, , a bass player that mostly plays the upright bass and a trumpet player which exercerbates the jazzy feeling of some of the music heard.Dressed snappily Meklit is also in full command and garners full attention as she goes through her set when she is not playing the guitar (maybe the weakest part of the set), she dances or accompanies the music with her arms doing some choregraphied moves while she is not singing in her charming effortless fashion. She sings mostly in English but a few are in her native language..

Saw Mamadou Diabaté solo, impressive to say the least, a fantastic demontration of virtuosity on the kora.

I'm very envious!

I'll make you even more , he was something like 8-10 feet in front of me the whole time for a gig that lasted around 95 minutes...

Edited by Van Basten II