Madeleine Peyroux

mikeweil

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw her in concert a few months ago. She played guitar and sang, no backing band. She's not bad, and her singing style reminds me of Norah Jones. I've been surprised to see her CD's in the jazz section, though. Like Norah Jones, I don't consider her music to be jazz.

Well, her music - as far as I can say after listening to this one CD - is a mixture of country blues and folk blues with early jazz leanings. I think her sound and phrasing are jazzier than Norah Jones - many compare her timbre to Billie Holiday, whose heavy inspiration she acknowledges. There is indeed some similarity in the voices - of course she would be the first to admit she is no Lady Day reincarnation. I find it sympathetic she took her time that long before recording another album.

Her style between folk blues and jazz some how reminds me of Maria Muldaur's repertoire in the 1970's. I'll watch and listen and see how she develops.

She was pretty big in France with her first album. Radio stations kept playing it. Magnum Photos headoffices in Paris used her album as background music whenever their phone lines were busy. Got sick of her voice. And of her streetsinger bit!

Planning to avoid her new one until proved wrong!

Give me Billie Holiday, the one and only!

I was in Minneapolis on business a couple weeks ago and she was playing the Dakota Bar, a local jazz club. I had dinner at the club one night and both shows were sold out. Although I was sitting in the dining room, sepatated only by a curtain, I was as close to her as the folks in the club. Here band was pretty good, she played piano and had a pleasant enough voice. I hadn't heard here prior to this night; not really jazz to me!

I like it a lot although whether it is jazz or not is a moot point.

Indeed!

There's one rather bland poppish track on Dreamland and about two thirds country folk blues, but the rest is 1920's style bluesy jazz - considering the lines bewteen jazz and blues and whatever you name it weren't as segregated back then as they are now .....

Edited by mikeweil

I was in Minneapolis on business a couple weeks ago and she was playing the Dakota Bar, a local jazz club. I had dinner at the club one night and both shows were sold out. Although I was sitting in the dining room, sepatated only by a curtain, I was as close to her as the folks in the club. Here band was pretty good, she played piano and had a pleasant enough voice. I hadn't heard here prior to this night; not really jazz to me!

I understand this is the case for every show there these days. The club is wildly popular for locals, students, and visitors. Everybody who plays there sells out regardless of who it is. Probably the major hotels are plugging the place.

A good flute-playing friend of mine used to sit in with Captain Jack McDuff there (when he was a masters student at University of Minnesota) in the Captain's later years and they would have jam sessions.

P.S. This flute player is an even better piano player - plays entirely by ear. He's from Russia. But he's been in Pittsburgh the past 6 years (PhD candidate in computer science).

• 1 month later...

Well I bit and bought Careless Love; heard it all for the first time today. I must say I kind of liked it, once I got past the "channelling Billie" aspect of it, which really stands out in the first track to an extreme.

I wasn't familiar with her until this latest. I think she's pretty good--a lot of the material is "jazz," but I've really gotten to the point where I don't give a damn about generic distinctions any more. It works with jazz--it's sophisticated enough and swings. If this isn't jazz, neither is a lot of vocal music everybody considers to be jazz.

But the Billie Holiday thing has gotten to really bother me. I think she'd sound like Billie one way or another, but I think she really takes it too far on a couple of tracks and it just sounds too affected.

But I'm generally really happy with the disc and I'll be hunting down some of her earlier stuff.

--eric

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Someone mentioned that the Billie Holidayisms sometimes sound affected. Not to my ears.

I don't claim she always sounds affected, but I do think a couple of tracks do. (I'd give you the titles, but I don't have the disc in front of me right now.)

--eric