Some direction on Dolphy?

Chrome

I've had "Out to Lunch" for some time, but I've only recently starting really getting into it ... plus, I recently picked up Mal Waldron's disc "The Quest" with Dolphy, and I find both of these spending a lot of time in my CD player lately ... can people suggest a next Dolphy disc or two that is similar to these? I like it that music is challenging, but not too ... "free" I guess.

You also need to hear Mingus' live Antibes disc, if you haven't already. Any live Mingus w/ Dolphy is pretty much essential, in my opinion.

Another disc that might not be "essential" that I really enjoy is The Illinois Concert, which Blue Note issued a few years back. It contains a beautiful version of "God Bless the Child."

Edited by John B

Once you hear a few of the Prestige dates, start looking for a good deal on a used copy of the COMPLETE PRESTIGE boxed set...mark my words, you're going to want to hear ALL of it once you hear a little! The box is really not a bad deal, you can generally find it used for $80 or so if you look hard enough, and that's far less than you'd pay for each of the individual CDs (there's 15 or 16 of them that you'd have to get). Plus I think the remastering in the box is VERY well done and there's a great booklet.

I bring up this body of work because you mentioned a little hesitance about going too far "out"...over time you'll follow Dolphy wherever he went is my guess, as your ears become acclimated, but during the Prestige years there is more overt grounding in the hard bop of the era.

Edited by DrJ

Dolphy's Prestige dates are much more closer to bebop than Out to Lunch. Some really great stuff on them (my fave is Far Cry) though IMHO little of it reaches the visionary genius of Out to Lunch.

I think before you tackle that stuff you should look for his stuff with Coltrane and Mingus. With Coltrane start with the Village Vanguard Sessions; there are also a bunch of boots from the '61 European tour, and Ole. With Mingus, there's Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus, Mingus at Antibes, Mingusx5 (Dolphy only plays one solo here, but it's smokin'), and various recordings from the '64 tour (Town Hall Concert and the recent reissue on Verve are probably the most readily available).

Guy

So the good news is that there is a lot left out there (accidental pun) to love. This may be bad news to your pocketbook, but it's not like his catalog is as big as Ellington's or Zorn's. ;)

Really, every title mentioned so far are ones that I play often & enjoy greatly.

At some point be sure to check out a '64 Mingus live date with Dolphy (the one Jim mentioned is a great & budget-minded choice.) These can be highly addictive, and if you find yourself hooked there are other titles such as Revenge! & Mingus In Europe from this tour available too.

"Iron Man" is the title I pull most frequently.  Wish it had been a Blue Note, actually.

Was this the original cover for "Iron Man"?? (Hadn't ever seen this tan cover before now, doing a search for the cover with Google just now.)

eric%20dolphy.iron%20man.jpg

Mine looks like this one (below), and is the cover I'm most familiar with (and for years I've assumed that this was the original cover, but which I'm now beginning to have my doubts about).

LPCELL5015.gif

Seriously, I think "Iron Man" is just about Dolphy's finest hour, at least in my book. Every bit as good as "Out To Lunch" -- and I prefer Woody's playing in Dolphy's context, over Hub's. (My ears tell me that Woody understood Dolphy's world better than Freddy, but maybe that's just me.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties