Leon Leavitt's Collection for Auction.

garthsj

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leon Leavitt used to pay me annual visits. He wanted to but my original LPs (Prestige discs with the New York address, etc.). I agreed to sell him any LP that he could replace with a sealed and superior (usually Japanese clone) reissue, which he did in many cases. I knew that he had to be reselling these things at a profit, but I didn't care as long as it did not eliminate any music from my collection. Until this thread appeared, I did not know that he was so widely known; his visits and purchases took place long before the internet came into being.

Jeff Barr and Ron Rambach are still active, both in Calif., I bought some records from them recently. Yes, their prices are at market level, but in the average high price market and the ebay jungle, their courtesy and service are unvaluable for me. I did not have a single problems about replacing or refund or shipping. I am happy there are people like them in today's market.

Jeff Barr and Ron Rambach are still active, both in Calif., I bought some records from them recently. Yes, their prices are at market level, but in the average high price market and the ebay jungle, their courtesy and service are unvaluable for me. I did not have a single problems about replacing or refund or shipping. I am happy there are people like them in today's market.

When I was still bidding on LP auctions in the 1970s and 1980s, for some reason Jeff Barr's prices didn't reach the astronomical heights of Leon Leavitt's prices.

When I was still bidding on LP auctions in the 1970s and 1980s, for some reason Jeff Barr's prices didn't reach the astronomical heights of Leon Leavitt's prices.

I don't know Leavitt, but it's true, Jeff Barr is a little cheaper, and one of my favorite seller! On the other hand Ron Rambach always sent me wonderful records with additional audiophile grade outer and inner sleves! Very classy!

The most valuable thing of their job is the accurate grading of records. I mean you know for what you throw your money!

Edited by porcy62

It was Jeff Barr who really set me to thinking about the extent of the "vinyl monkey" on my back. After years of buying albums from him, he called me up one day to enquire about my two original BN Art Blakey "A Night at Birdland" Vols, 1 and 2. He was shopping for a Japanese customer, and Jeff wanted me to check the matrix numbers; in particular he wanted to know "which pressing machines were noted on those numbers"! Apparently this collector had determined that one pressing machine was superior to another, and would only accept the "B" machine, or whatever ... the exactly details elude me ... Well, the upshot was that one of the albums was suitable, and the other was not. He made me a fine offer, but I declined at that point. I was left shaking my head ... is this what collecting mania had come to? That incident, combined with my earlier visit to Leon Leavitt's mega-collection helped me go cold turkey on acquiring any more vinyl, and I began to replace my favorite albums with CDs.

I must confess that there is now stuff available on CD (the entire Dawn label for instance) that I never expected to ever see reissued, and I am constantly amazed at what is being reissued (the John Graas/Jazz Studio series on Lonehill, even though these are taken from LPs and not the original tapes), so I every month I miss my vinyl albums less and less.

Garth,

Houston.

It was Jeff Barr who really set me to thinking about the extent of the "vinyl monkey" on my back. After years of buying albums from him, he called me up one day to enquire about my two original BN Art Blakey "A Night at Birdland" Vols, 1 and 2. He was shopping for a Japanese customer, and Jeff wanted me to check the matrix numbers; in particular he wanted to know "which pressing machines were noted on those numbers"! Apparently this collector had determined that one pressing machine was superior to another, and would only accept the "B" machine, or whatever ... the exactly details elude me ... Well, the upshot was that one of the albums was suitable, and the other was not. He made me a fine offer, but I declined at that point. I was left shaking my head ... is this what collecting mania had come to? That incident, combined with my earlier visit to Leon Leavitt's mega-collection helped me go cold turkey on acquiring any more vinyl, and I began to replace my favorite albums with CDs.

I must confess that there is now stuff available on CD (the entire Dawn label for instance) that I never expected to ever see reissued, and I am constantly amazed at what is being reissued (the John Graas/Jazz Studio series on Lonehill, even though these are taken from LPs and not the original tapes), so I every month I miss my vinyl albums less and less.

Garth,

Houston.

Does it means you wish to sell them?

Dream on, Porcy ... After a year of laboriously, but profitably listing them on eBay, I sold the entire collection (just over 8,000) to Euclid Records in St Louis. The scanning, copywriting, listing and finally mailing process was just too time consuming, although, given the prices just three years later, I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing.

Garth.

Dream on, Porcy ... After a year of laboriously, but profitably listing them on eBay, I sold the entire collection (just over 8,000) to Euclid Records in St Louis. The scanning, copywriting, listing and finally mailing process was just too time consuming, although, given the prices just three years later, I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing.

Garth.

And that was really worth it?

I seem to recall reading that record dealers will buy a record for something like 20% of what they plan to sell it for.

I know a dealer down here who found a man living in a vermin infested trailer with boxes and boxes and boxes, hundreds if not thousands of mint or unopened original jazz lps from the 50s-60s. He offered the man a thousand dollars for records he anticipated would sell for perhaps $100,000.00.

Dream on, Porcy ...  After a year of laboriously, but profitably listing them on eBay, I sold the entire collection (just over 8,000) to Euclid Records in St Louis.  The scanning, copywriting, listing and finally mailing process was just too time consuming, although, given the prices just three years later, I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing.

Garth.

And that was really worth it?

I seem to recall reading that record dealers will buy a record for something like 20% of what they plan to sell it for.

I know a dealer down here who found a man living in a vermin infested trailer with boxes and boxes and boxes, hundreds if not thousands of mint or unopened original jazz lps from the 50s-60s. He offered the man a thousand dollars for records he anticipated would sell for perhaps $100,000.00.

Dan,

The truth be told, that if I wanted to continue to spend 10-15 hours a week doing the listings, I could probably have made about 50% more in the long run. I had to weigh this use of my time against a fair offer from Euclid. Of course, as I said earlier, the prices for choice vinyl seems to have doubled in the past three years, but I emphasize "choice." If you look at eBay vinyl sales, you will see that a lot of items do not get sold, requiring constant relisting.

Garth.

Edited by garthsj

I met a gentleman at the Tower who sold his Lp collection to a Japanese buyer for 40 grand in the mid-80s. I wonder how much he could've gotten for it today. 5-6 times more perhaps.

I think it is dangerous and painful to think about how much you could get if you waited to sell.

Consider how much you could get now if one of your ancestors in a holiday in Paris would had buy a painting directly from an hungry and poor Picasso, instead of some stupid champagne bottle! :g

If anyone is interested in the final price bids for this amazing auction, just click on here. The bids are in descending order of price:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...since=30&rdir=0

Based on these prices, it appears that I should have hung on to my old LPs for another three years.

Garth.

Thanks Garth, very useful reference. :tup

Thanks Garth for providing this.

Since I missed the actual auction, I was wondering how much some of those albums did fetch. I am pretty impressed with some of the prices various albums that are in my collection reached.

I'll keep this list and show it to my wife next time she mentions she could have bought a lot of more useful stuff with the money I was spending on these albums ;)

I'll try to hang to my LPs for a few more years!

Who is John Plonsky, and why is he worth $212.50?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

This Golden Crest LP is listed in Vol.6 of the Bruyninckx Swing Discography.

Recorded in NYC on March 5, 1957

Personnel:

John Plonsky - trumpet

Carl Janelli - clarinet

O. Cortese - piano

Chet Amsterdam - bass

Mel Zelnick - drums

Betty Ann Blake - vocal

On June 7, 1957 he recorded another album as leader on Golden Crest, with Urbie Green (trombone), Bill Barber (tuba), Carl Janelli, Tony Aless (piano), Don Arnone (guitar), Jack Zimmerman (bass) and Mel Zelnick.