Before OJCs go away

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck mentioned Ammons' "Preachin.'" I'd add his "Live in Chicago," with organist Eddie Buster and drummer Gerald Donovan. Jug was on fire that night. As Bob Porter says in the liner notes, sound quality is kind of blarey, but that doesn't really matter much.

Also picked up, among several others, the Bobby Jaspar. An interesting date for a number of reasons -- raw early Elvin (1957) meets latter-day George Wallington is really strange (that two such gifted musicians seemingly not that far apart stylistically could in fact be so distant from each other timewise that they almost have to communicate by messenger); Jaspar going in and out of focus on tenor but in an often moving, groping manner; and Idrees Sulieman is plenty strange all by himself. Wonder what Alfred Lion would have made of such a collection of players, though he certainly wouldn't have assembled them. Lord, would a little Blue Note rehearsal, plus RVG (rather than Jack Higgins at Reeves Sound), have made a difference here! Elvin sounds like the hauled out the blankets they used to muffle Gene Krupa in the late '20s. Orin Keepnews, faugh! But it's still an interesting musical, human document.

I am with you guys on this and have been over the last 10 years knocking off large numbers of the OJC rpestige and riverside catalogue with any spare cash. However this year I managed to get into the whole emusic downlaod thing and have shifted up a gear or two ..........got some real scorchers too...........not the same as having the cd but it is legal ( well it makes a change B-) ) and you get the large catalogue

However my all time favs and never to be missed are the Roy Haynes, Booker Ervins, Walt Dickerson, Benny Golsons Charles Macpherson

Email me for more details or for trading possibilities as I have some spares

Andy

I know it's already been mentioned, but if you can find it, don't pass up "Very Saxy," with Coleman Hawkins, Buddy Tate, Lockjaw, and Arnett Cobb. The intensity level throughout is very high, especially from Cobb and Tate. Also, I love the zest with which the ensemble plays the tasty, functional charts. And George Duvivier is a rock.

Does 'Very Saxy' contain any additional tracks beyond what what was on the LP? I've had that one for a long time and it is a favorite of mine. I'd pick up a CD if there was added material.

I just picked up OJC CD ' Blues Groove' by Tiny Grimes with Coleman Hawkins. Very tasty stuff.

I've used Christmas gift certificates to begin digging into this catalog. I picked up Hal Singer (BLue Stompin'), the Louis Cotrell trio, Jimmy Heath (Triple threat), Charles Earland (Black Talk), Teddy Charles (Coolin'), Gene Ammons (Funky), and hopefully a couple of others. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Before this thread completely unravels, another quick plug for Walt Dickerson. I've had "Sense of Direction" for years and I recently downloaded "Relativity". Good swingin' stuff. Andrew Cyrille is a helluva drummer. While I can't comment on the balance of Dickerson's catalog, I can say, unequivocally, that these two are keepers. Not to mention ones that probably wouldn't survive a trip under the "owner-scope".

Up over and out.

Before this thread disappears (along with many of the OJCs), I'd like to put a plug in for a few essential blues sides that should be in every self respecting collection:

Guitar Slim: Suffering Mind (Specialty 7007)

Clifton Chenier: Zodico Blues and Boogie (Specialty 7039) - ok, not strictly blues, but there's enough there to fit in.

Bloodstains on the Wall - Country Blues from Specialty (Specialty 7061)

Frankie Lee Sims: Lucy Mae Blues (Specialty 7022) - Texas blues at its finest.

And for anyone who's into '60s folk wierdness:

The Holy Modal Rounders 1&2 (Fantasy 24711)

I'm about to place an OJC order, and I'd appreciate it if anyone can recommend (or not) any of the following:

Dick Wellstood/Cliff Jackson: Uptown and Lowdown (Prestige 24262)

Junior Cook/Blue Mitchell: Junior's Cookin' (OJC 1002)

The Walter Bishop, Jr. Trio (OJC 1896)

Cal Tjader: Latin Kick (OJC 642) - I'm interested mainly in Brew Moore's playing.

Barry Harris Trio: Chasin' the Bird (OJC 872)

The George Wallington Trios (OJC 1754)

I've checked out most of these in the Penguin Guide, but I trust you guys a lot more than I trust those guys. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I can vouch for the Wallington Trios. A fascinating musician. Wallington had several incarnations: -- the electrifying bop virtuoso of those sides; the more sober bandleader-comper of the mid- 1950s (check out his "Jazz for the Carriage Trade on OJC for one, with some of the best Phil Woods there is; also the Cafe Bohemia band with scary early Jackie McLean); his coinciding or a bit later somewhat East Side lounge-ish trio thing, but Wallington was no sell-out, always had a strong vein of romanticism in him ("Knight Music" on Koch, often found as a cutout); and the final solo work of the mid-1980s ("Virtuoso," "Symphony of a Jazz Piano" -- which is darker, much more craggy, a bit Monkish in a personal way, and superb. Those solos albums (there may be more; I don't know) were recorded in the U.S. by Japanese producers and issued only in Japan I believe. They're worth searching for. Wallington left the music business for longish stretches to work in the family air-conditioning business.

Paul,

The Junior Cook/Blue Mitchell cd has been one of my favorites for years. I highly recommend it. You can't get more hardbop than this album. It's just fantastic.

The Barry Harris and the George Wallington cds on OJC are also can't misses.

I'm less excited about the Walter Bishop but it's ok.

As a result of this thread I have ordered the following...

Hal Singer - Blue Stompin'

Junior Cook - Junior's Cookin'

Don Wilkerson - The Texas Twister

Webster Young - For Lady

Harold Land - West Coast Blues!

Jerome Richardson - Midnight Oil

Jerome Richardson - Roamin' With Richardson

Teddy Charles - Coolin'

Direct from Fantasy, free shipping, and 10% discount for 10 or more. :tup

Edited by catesta

Continuing the "taking OJC's for granted" theme...

f66177a2u80.jpg

I heard the tail end of title track from this on the radio yesterday, and as if listening to somebody's BFT disc, said to myself "WOW- that's fantastic... what IS that? I've got to get that!" I've had it for 10+ years. :rolleyes: I spun the whole disc this morning, and was actually startled at how great it sounded- the whole damn thing. I remember being excited to get it, primarily because of the chance to add more vintage Blue Mitchell to the collection, but I don't remember it hitting me this hard at the time. I think this one has always been underrated/overlooked (Brad was the only person to mention it here, as far as I can tell). Mitchell is in great form, as are Timmons and Sam Jones, and Blakey is... incredible.

Continuing the "taking OJC's for granted" theme...

f66177a2u80.jpg

I heard the tail end of title track from this on the radio yesterday, and as if listening to somebody's BFT disc, said to myself "WOW- that's fantastic... what IS that? I've got to get that!" I've had it for 10+ years. :rolleyes: I spun the whole disc this morning, and was actually startled at how great it sounded- the whole damn thing. I remember being excited to get it, primarily because of the chance to add more vintage Blue Mitchell to the collection, but I don't remember it hitting me this hard at the time. I think this one has always been underrated/overlooked (Brad was the only person to mention it here, as far as I can tell). Mitchell is in great form, as are Timmons and Sam Jones, and Blakey is... incredible.

It's all true. Thanks for the tip! I downloaded it at emusic months ago. Never bothered playing it!

Webster Young - For Lady

Teddy Charles - Coolin'

Direct from Fantasy, free shipping, and 10% discount for 10 or more. :tup

I think you'll be very happy with your order. :g

I'm really glad Chuck suggested the Hal Singer album. :tup

Webster Young - For Lady

Teddy Charles - Coolin'

Direct from Fantasy, free shipping, and 10% discount for 10 or more.  :tup

I think you'll be very happy with your order. :g

I'm really glad Chuck suggested the Hal Singer album. :tup

The Hal Singer was backordered on cduniverse.

I ended up ordering straight from Fantasy, but had to think it was out of stock as a result of some folks from here.

Good idea to tell folks what we've purchased as a direct result of this thread...for me, last weekend in the used stores in the Bay Area, I tracked down Mel Rhyne's ORGAN-IZING and the Hal Singer date...neither of which I'd have put very high on the list if not for the endorsements here. Both are really enjoyable - the Singer was a wonderful surprise, I would definitely probably have slept on that one - but I'm particularly taken by the Rhyne date - which makes some of the best use of the often tricky organ/piano combination I've ever heard. Griff and Mitchell in the front line don't hurt ONE little bit either.

Okay here's what I've ordered (so far :g )

Don Ellis - New Ideas

George Russell - The Stratus Seekers

George Russell - Ezz-thetics

Jon Eardley - The Jon Eardley Seven

Walt Dickerson - To My Queen

Gigi Gryce/Art Farmer - When Farmer Met Gryce

Gigi Gryce - Rat Race Blues

Hal Gaylor/Walter Norris/Bean - The Trio

Don Friedman - Metamorphosis

Don Sleet - All Members

Curtis Counce Group - Vol. 1: Landslide

Rene Thomas - Guitar Groove

Thanks to everyone for all of the great recommendations.

Okay here's what I've ordered (so far :g )

Don Ellis - New Ideas

George Russell - The Stratus Seekers

George Russell - Ezz-thetics

Jon Eardley - The Jon Eardley Seven

Walt Dickerson - To My Queen

Gigi Gryce/Art Farmer - When Farmer Met Gryce

Gigi Gryce - Rat Race Blues

Hal Gaylor/Walter Norris/Bean - The Trio

Don Friedman - Metamorphosis

Don Sleet - All Members

Curtis Counce Group - Vol. 1: Landslide

Rene Thomas - Guitar Groove

Thanks to everyone for all of the great recommendations.

:o My God!... Leave a few for the rest of us!

;)