• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and ten more ...

jacksonf1824.gifjohnsonl518.gifcox1758.gifhunter520.gif

hines1740.gifhunter510.gifcottrell1836.gifcobbj1825.gif

bocagep1835.gif

Since they are my sessions, I hope they will give me a discount. If so, I'll also buy the reissues I produced and the albums I wrote liner notes for. It adds up, believe me.

BTW, it was encouraging to see some of my work among the selected ones earlier in this thread.

Guest akanalog

i picked up an OJC the other day at the J&R sale that i haven't seen before ever.

it was wynton kelly trio "full view"

pretty good. very late wynton kelly.

what interested me was ron mclure in for paul chambers on bass.

kelly sort of responds to the times (1966) a little bit with some more driving playing and the beats occasionally have a little more backbeat.

the repetoire is a mix of standards with a few songs of the day ("walk on by" for instance) but everything is nicely done and moving.

in contrast i also picked up "third plane" by herbie hancock.

this album is from 1978 and it is interesting to hear how acoustic bass was recorded differently in the two eras. on the kelly album the bass is more felt than heard whereas on the hancock the bass is heard more than felt but has that ugly rubbery thing going on which i guess is because of the electric pickup on it.

this is also a good album.

just to note, like a lot of people I've not always been a big fan of revivalist music - the sessions Chris produced (and I have nearly all) represent the music in an utterly unselfconscious state, meaning that the musuicians play great, play it as the music they know and love, not as museum pieces or for tourist traps. It is VERY deep stuff. Chris, I hadn't realized you did all those sessions - all I can say is thanks!

and ten more ...

Since they are my sessions, I hope they will give me a discount. If so, I'll also buy the reissues I produced and the albums I wrote liner notes for. It adds up, believe me.

BTW, it was encouraging to see some of my work among the selected ones earlier in this thread.

Chris--

Which ones of the New Orleans and Chicago sessions would you recommend to a neophyte? Which are your personal favorites out of all the OJCs you did?

• 1 month later...

I've just been browsing this thread and found a number of recommended titles that I missed when it was current, so I thought it might be worth bringing up for others to check out again.

A few more recommendations (apologies if I missed them being mentioned previously - this thread runs 21 pages!):

Tiny Grimes with J.C. Higginbotham: Callin' the Blues (OJC 191)

Stan Getz/Zoot Sims: The Brothers (OJC 008) - Two sessions - one is a blowing date (albeit with good tunes and arrangements by Gerry Mulligan and Al Cohn) with good playing by Allen Eager, Brew Moore, Al Cohn, Zoot Sims, and Stan Getz - a chance to listen to and compare the five tenorists. The other date is a sextet with Al, Zoot, Kai Winding, George Wallington, Percy Heath, and Art Blakey.

Carmel Jones: Jay Hawk Talk (OJC 1938)

Pee Wee Russell: Swingin' with Pee Wee (Prestige 24213) - The Portrait of Pee Wee and Swingin' with Pee Wee (very fine Buck Clayton) dates combined - not to be missed.

The Red Rodney Quintets (Fantasy 24758) - I actually only have this on an OJC LP which is titled Modern Music from Chicago and includes the Fantasy sides with Ira Sullivan. The CD adds an earlier date with Jimmy Ford which I haven't heard. The Sullivan date is well worth listening to.

The Lee Konitz Duets (OJC 466)

I can see from the lack of response that nobody is interested in my two recommendations of Herbie Mann and Bobby Jaspar - Flute Souffle and Flute Flight. People, it's great music! You're missing out if you don't pick these up cheap!

And let me recommend another that falls into the category of great music but not earth shattering: Charlie Byrd and Cal Tjader - Tambu. This was a jam session in '74 as I recall, playing jazz standards like Black Narcissus, Tereza My Love and My Cherie Amour. Great to relax by.

Just picked up a few OJC LPs. The Red Rodney 'Modern Music From Chicago', the Elmo Hope 'Meditations' and the Sleet 'All Members'.

Have also hit upon a motherlode of 1970s Prestige and Milestone twofer sets (most of the Dolphys, Stitt, Parker, Mulligan/Baker, Oliver Nelson etc) and this is a very good way for the vinyl enthusiast to pick up much of the material captured in the OJCs in good sound.

Edited by sidewinder

I can see from the lack of response that nobody is interested in my two recommendations of Herbie Mann and Bobby Jaspar - Flute Souffle and Flute Flight.  People, it's great music!  You're missing out if you don't pick these up cheap!

Not lack of interest - it's only I already have them. Essential modern jazz flute, IMHO.

And let me recommend another that falls into the category of great music but not earth shattering:  Charlie Byrd and Cal Tjader - Tambu.  This was a jam session in '74 as I recall, playing jazz standards like Black Narcissus, Tereza My Love and My Cherie Amour.  Great to relax by.

That one disappointed me - Byrd plays rather sloppily, has trouble with the 7/4 time signature of the title track, and his trio is obviously not as together as Cal's band - both were used in different combinations. Cal is impeccable, however. Good idea, but didn't live up to the expectations.

I can see from the lack of response that nobody is interested in my two recommendations of Herbie Mann and Bobby Jaspar - Flute Souffle and Flute Flight.  People, it's great music!  You're missing out if you don't pick these up cheap!

Those both look great to me, I will add them to the list (its going to be a big order)

thanks for the recommendation

• 1 month later...

Picked up a used copy of the Count Basie Kansas City 7 disc the otehr day, mainly to see how a group consisting of Freddie Hubbard, Lockjaw Davis, JJ Johnson, Basie, Joe Pass, John Heard, and Jake Hanna would gel.

On the up tunes, the answer is "oddly". But there's only two of those, and only one with Freddie (him & Hanna virtually eptimomize the phrase "irreconcilable differences"). Everything else is mid-tempo or slower, and the groove is on. Freddie plays very nicely, JJ sounds more relaxed and extroverted than I think I've ever heard him, and Jaws, well, let's just say that Jaws steals the show by delivering one blow after another to the emotional solar plexus.

The rhythm section? Hell, ain't nobody in there who doesn't know the drill, nor who doesn't enjoy running it. NO problems!

This is not a "classic" album by any stretch of the imagination. It's a jam session, pure and simple, with a minimum of arangements, casual or otherwise. The vibe is totally casual, and nobody's trying to make "statements" or anything like that. But as a document of what some fine players sounded like when they came together to play a few tunes on one day out of countless many, it's a helluva lot better than many formally-planned dates.

And for Lockjaw fans, this one is a "must have". What a muthafookah this cat was!

Picked up a used copy of the Count Basie Kansas City 7 disc the otehr day, mainly to see how a group consisting of Freddie Hubbard, Lockjaw Davis, JJ Johnson, Basie, Joe Pass, John Heard, and Jake Hanna would gel.

On the up tunes, the answer is "oddly". But there's only two of those, and only one with Freddie (him & Hanna virtually eptimomize the phrase "irreconcilable differences"). Everything else is mid-tempo or slower, and the groove is on. Freddie plays very nicely, JJ sounds more relaxed and extroverted than I think I've ever heard him, and Jaws, well, let's just say that Jaws steals the show by delivering one blow after another to the emotional solar plexus.

The rhythm section? Hell, ain't nobody in there who doesn't know the drill, nor who doesn't enjoy running it. NO problems!

This is not a "classic" album by any stretch of the imagination. It's a jam session, pure and simple, with a minimum of arangements, casual or otherwise. The vibe is totally casual, and nobody's trying to make "statements" or anything like that. But as a document of what some fine players sounded like when they came together to play a few tunes on one day out of countless many, it's a helluva lot better than many formally-planned dates.

And for Lockjaw fans, this one is a "must have". What a muthafookah this cat was!

This used to be listed (may be still) in J.D. Aebersold's Double-Time Jazz catalog as one of "100 historically significant recordings." Don't have it yet, but it's one of a very few in that list that almost never gets talked about here.

Edited by Big Wheel

This used to be listed (may be still) in J.D. Aebersold's Double-Time Jazz catalog as one of "100 historically significant recordings." Don't have it yet, but it's one of a very few in that list that almost never gets talked about here.

Not knocking (or praising) this specific recording, but what are Aeberold's criteria for "100 historically significant recordings"? Seems like an odd choice.

• 1 month later...

I just made an order of german OJCs (not the 20bit ones) and SACDs at ZYX's special sale store www.jazzshop24.de. In an email exchange, the shop informed me that one of the ordered titles wasn't available anymore and could not be backordered as the licensing deal between Fantasy and ZYX ends on December 31, 2005.

So ZYX is getting rid of their Fantasy stocks. This licensing deal between Fantasy and Bernard Mikulski (later to become ZYX) had lasted for the past 20 years.

Edited by Claude