Name a White Alto Player

AllenLowe

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOT a Phil Woods fan, btw, at least not of his post-return to America work, which mostly strikes me as being first and foremost just plain silly. The stuff before that, though, including his ERM work, does just fine for me, however, usually, if not always.

Now, Jimmy Ford - THAT'S an interesting cat....

Maybe I don't get the joke, but neither is Frank Strozier.

Bernie McGann of Australia is one hell of a player. An altoist for sure, he's so much his own man that it's hard to compare him with other players of the instrument -- a la Steve Lacy and other soprano saxophonists. If McGann comes from anyone, it might be Sonny Rollins.

Ira Sullivan played some alto back when but not a whole lot as I recall. He was, as you might expect, damn good. I think Ira would have sounded damn good playing a Hoover vacuum cleaner. I think he's on alto on several tracks of the ABC-Paramount album he made with the Billy Taylor Trio -- a disc that sadly I haven't seen or listened to for at least 40 years.

Hey! Good to see an Aussie icon getting props here. Bernie's fantastic!

Other altoists:

Andrew Robson

Gai Bryant

Barry Duggan

Ian Chaplin

Adam Simmons

Tim Wilson

Bob Bertles

David Rex

Discovering Strozier's ethnicity eliminates my choice.

The interesting question about Strozier's ethnicity aside (although I am sure that many west coast jazz fans will be surprised to learn that he is black), I am fascinated by this "sudden" rediscovery of him. Where were all of these fans back in the 1960's when he was being attacked/undervalued/ignored/ by almost everyone? I clearly remember a bizarre discussion with some friends at the time of his work with Shelly Manne, and the MJT, trying to convince them that this guy was, in fact, very good! They, having grown up with Charlie Mariano, and Richie Kamuca (on tenor), would have none of it. Now, thanks to the magical rejuvenation possibilities of CD reissue programs, Frank Strozier is a new darling of the alto ... The same is, if course true (and deservedly so) of Hal McKusick. Wow! Can Dick Johnson be far behind (ref. his two great albums on Emarcy [36081] and Riverside [253] ), and Lenny Hambro just behind him?

Garth.

I am fascinated by this "sudden" rediscovery of him.  Where were all of these fans back in the 1960's when he was being attacked/undervalued/ignored/ by almost everyone?

Can't speak for everybody, but I was still in grade school...

Discovered Strozier throuh Don Ellis & Oliver Nelson sides ca.1973 or so, then some Keno Duke Starta-East sides, and took it from there...

Funny thing is, Leonard Feather consistently used Stozier as a poster boy for his "Crow Jim" crap, an example of a fully able white cat who wasn't getting gigs because of his race. Believe that he even posed the Strozier question to Max Roach, who took it at face value. Later on, I remember Strozier claiming that he had "African ancestors", or something like that, maybe in a DB article about Oliver NElson's early 70s African tour, where Strozier's ethnicity apparently caused a lot of specualtion amongst the spectators. Nelson was coy about the whole thing.

This thread, though, is the first time I've read confident claims that Strozier wasn't "white", or even "mixed", but outright "black". After all these years! (and opportunities)

Life gets wierder every damn day...

Edited by JSngry

Richie Kamuca's tribute to Charlie Parker album, "Charlie," reveals him (i.e. Kamuca) to be one fine alto player, very close to Bird in spirit but his own man too. Latter-day Kamuca (on either horn) is a joy -- not that I don't like early Kamuca, but a case can be made that he came fully into his own in about '60 or '61. There's an album of session material I think, from '58 or so (with Scott LaFaro? have heard it but don't own it) that finds Kamuca halfway between his early Pres manner and contemporary Rollins (with maybe a pinch of Trane), and boy does he sound hung up, as well he might have. Interesting that his running buddy Bill Perkins went though some of the same changes.

Andy Fusco is BAD!

New York City-based alto saxophonist Andy Fusco first earned notice for his 1978-1983 stint with the Buddy Rich Big Band, also touring with Gerry Mulligan and Mel Lewis. He made his headlining debut in 1996 with Big Man's Blues; Out of the Dark followed three years later. ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide

Edited by marcello

I TRULY hate to say this .. but Bill Perkins never really recovered from his exposure to Coltrane. If you listen to any of his albums after 1970 this becomes obvious. Interestingly, the only album of his that recaptured the magic he wove on one of the greatest jazz albums ever made -- "Grand Encounter: Two Degrees East, Three Degrees West" -- is his dedication to Lester Young, "Perk Plays Prez" on the Fresh Sounds label. I listened to Perkins quite often in the years before his death, and while he was incredibly energetic and well-meaning, I longed for the old Perk of Pacific Jazz fame ... God! Trane sure screwed up a lot of musicians who wanted to be him ... and should have stayed with their own beautiful thing. I feel much the same way about Art Pepper, and to some degree Benny Golson.

Garth.

First name that popped into my mind as well, but outside the intent of the topic as originally stated.

But you know, Lee's such a heavy cat that to think of him as a "white alto player" just ain't right. Even though he is that... But not in the way that Phillandquill and the others mentioned as possibilities are.

Bernie McGann of Australia is one hell of a player. An altoist for sure, he's so much his own man that it's hard to compare him with other players of the instrument -- a la Steve Lacy and other soprano saxophonists. If McGann comes from anyone, it might be Sonny Rollins.

You've whetted my appetite. Where can one find a recording of Mr. McGann's?

You've whetted my appetite. Where can one find a recording of Mr. McGann's?

http://www.air.org.au/show_artist.asp?artist_id=2211

My personal favourites are the first two mentioned - his most recent and oldest recordings, the latter with a piano, which is a rarity for Bernie. There's a new one on the way, presumbably late next year. The one simply called McGann has James Greening on trombone, and I like it a lot. Ugly Beauty is regarded as a classic. Bernie's latest band has Warwick Alder on trumpet.

wrong picture, Leeway...

Garth-- talk to me. i had all sortsa early Phil & it was fine; the Mosaic just brought me down. what in between or after those do you dig & why?

gracias,

clementine gets a-head

Clem,

I agree that a lot of the stuff that he did for his own label and then Concord, was rather repetitious and let's say it, boring. I was NOT a lover of the Quintets he had at that time. I do not own the Mosaic set for that reason. But the much of the stuff he did for the Italian Philology label (named after him.. Geez!) is very intense although sometimes uneven, seemingly hastily put together. I would recommend particularly the 2-CD duo set he did with Gordon Beck, "The Complete Wigmore Hall Concert" on the French JMS Label; also, of course, "Musique De Bois" on Muse (with Byard, Richard Davis, Alan Dawson) is one of the best alto quartet bop albums ever recorded IMHO! I also heartily recommend "Here's To My Lady" with Flanagan, Mraz and Kenny Washington on the Chesky label, and "Ornithology" a quartet session on Philology with Franco D'Andrea (p), Attilio Zanchi (b), and Gianni Cazzola (d).

Hmmmmmmmm.. now THAT should open your ears a little bit to what Woods is capable of now that he is out of the clutches of Concord! As I said previously, his delightful (nothing dramatic) album of Quincy Jones music is a current "mellow mood" favorite of mine ...

I should also add that he has been recently trouring with Bud Shank to great acclaim from those who have heard this two-alto dynamo. They have cut a record and is should be available in the coming monhs.. I can't wait to hear that ... two 70 year old alto players piercing the ether!

Edited by garthsj

wrong picture, Leeway...

No it's not. But clue me in as to why you think it is.

It's not a very revealing picture.

That's another story (although I thought it was petty nice), but it is certainly Maini. Anyone interested in more pics of Maini can simply click on the link I provided. The pic I provided is the first one on the page. There are many more (some pretty interesting, with Dizzy, Bird, and others) on the site.