Name a White Alto Player

AllenLowe

We always talk about the white/Lester Young/tenor sax disciples - but it's equally interesting to me to look at the white alto heirs of Bird, as I think thay are as good and maybe even more distintive: hence: Dave Schildkraut, Joe Maini, Gene Quill, Phil Woods, Lee Konitz, Charlie Mariano - must be more but I work a brain deadening job and am having trouble replacing those lost brain cells -

Edited by AllenLowe

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We always talk about the white/Lester Young/tenor sax disciples - but it's equally interesting to me to look at the white alto heirs of Bird, as I think thay are as good and maybe even more distintive: hence: Dave Schildkraut, Joe Maini,  Gene Quill, Phil Woods, Lee Konitz, Charlie Mariano - must be more but I work a brain deadening job and am having trouble replacing those lost brain cells -

I guess it depends on how you define "heirs of bird"? .... I am almost tempted to say that all alto players are, I think unfortunately, compared one way or another to Bird. So Konitz is always defined as being "on a different path to Bird" or Woods as "from the Bird school" ... Parker's stamp was so profound that this is inevitable, but it also obscures the individual contributions made by these players. Just this past weekend I was listening to one of my newly acquired OJC "replacements" ... "Sugan" (OJC 1841-2) with Phil Woods with Red Garland, recorded in 1957, and I was struck by the fact that I do not recall any real discussion of Woods in my time in this forum. So your decision to start this thread is very welcomed .... Woods has turned out a lot of albums over the years, probably the most ubiquitous alto player of the last fifty years ... but his artistry is still amazing. As I listened to this album I was impressed with his total command of the instrument. So many alto players (I used to be a struggling one myself) seem tentative on their instrument, and this can be part of their appeal (Pepper, for instance), but Woods just let it all hang out there, and with no hesitancy to try new ideas. And he has been doing this for all these years ... time give him his due recognition, I believe.

His recent album of music by Quincy Jones was a constant on my CD player this holiday...

Also, let's not forget Bud Shank who is now playing with more fire, and a wider range of ideas, than he did fifty years ago! I must admit I follow the accolades given to many current alto players like Kenny Garrett and Steve Coleman, and I am forced to wonder whether the fawning critics ever listen to people like Woods, Shank, Jesse Davis, or recently Dave Gasser (a real iconoclast who deserves much wider recognition). There are some great "oldtimers" out there still making wonderful music.

... but then we don't want to get into the critical argument about whether "newer is better," do we ... ?

Garth.

Edited by garthsj

Frank Strozier is not white. If you don't believe it ask him. My family is from Memphis and knew Frank's family. You might even ask Harold Mabern if you happen to catch him performing. Harold is always willing to talk about the Memphis scene when he and Frank and Booker Little, Phineas Newborn, George Coleman, Charles Lloyd, etc. were growing up.

As for James Spaulding. That's a joke, right? ;)

Maybe I don't get the joke, but neither is Frank Strozier.

Bernie McGann of Australia is one hell of a player. An altoist for sure, he's so much his own man that it's hard to compare him with other players of the instrument -- a la Steve Lacy and other soprano saxophonists. If McGann comes from anyone, it might be Sonny Rollins.

Ira Sullivan played some alto back when but not a whole lot as I recall. He was, as you might expect, damn good. I think Ira would have sounded damn good playing a Hoover vacuum cleaner. I think he's on alto on several tracks of the ABC-Paramount album he made with the Billy Taylor Trio -- a disc that sadly I haven't seen or listened to for at least 40 years.